website statistics

Great Britain at the 2023 European Games

Mkbw50

Today is Day -1, the first day of action of the 2023 European Games. There are no events that Great Britain are entering today (only lower-division Athletics and Beach Handball) but plenty of British athletes are here over the next few days. I'll update with daily schedules. This is a major qualification event for Paris; check my article on Totallympics News.

Edited by Mkbw50

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Any predictions on which (if any) Olympic quotas will be secured by Team GB over the next couple of weeks.

Only one's I'd say I was confident of was in modern pentathlon - expecting to get one for the guys and one for the women. 

After that, the women's rugby 7's have the best chance. Not expecting the same from the men (in fact I'm not that confident they will qualify for Paris at all)

Would love to see a couple of extra quotas secured in the shooting - Ben Llewellin and Matthew Coward Holley probably have the best shout but tend to be a bit hit and miss (no pun intended)

For boxing it would be great to get 4-6 quotas across the men's and women's squads but have no idea if that is realistic or not. 

In diving, would like to see Grace Reid take the women's 3m springboard quota as I think that is our weakest discipline so better to bag the quotas as early as possible.

In archery it is frustrating as hell that we have the top two ranked archers in the world on the women's side but don't seem to be able to put together a truly competitive women's recurve team so not expecting to secure any quotas here.

11 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Any predictions on which (if any) Olympic quotas will be secured by Team GB over the next couple of weeks.

Only one's I'd say I was confident of was in modern pentathlon - expecting to get one for the guys and one for the women. 

After that, the women's rugby 7's have the best chance. Not expecting the same from the men (in fact I'm not that confident they will qualify for Paris at all)

Would love to see a couple of extra quotas secured in the shooting - Ben Llewellin and Matthew Coward Holley probably have the best shout but tend to be a bit hit and miss (no pun intended)

For boxing it would be great to get 4-6 quotas across the men's and women's squads but have no idea if that is realistic or not. 

In diving, would like to see Grace Reid take the women's 3m springboard quota as I think that is our weakest discipline so better to bag the quotas as early as possible.

In archery it is frustrating as hell that we have the top two ranked archers in the world on the women's side but don't seem to be able to put together a truly competitive women's recurve team so not expecting to secure any quotas here.

I agree on Modern Pentathlon, both quotas should be easy to get. Same goes for Women's Seven's, although Spain will put up quite the challenge. I think Ireland pip the men to the quota, however this won't be too bad as we should get it via the world qualifier. 

Llewellin and Coward-Holley will get their well deserved quotas, with Gowin and Heading also being in with a good shot (no pun intended).

Don't know too much about the boxing either but expect us to sweep up most, if not all, of the quotas with a mix of returning athletes from Tokyo and previous qualification cycles and some high quality newcomers.

Don't expect much from the divers as it's quite an inexperienced team, probably only get 2 quotas here. Artistic swimming will give it a go, but will ultimately fall short to the likes of Italy and Ukraine. 

Despite matching your concerns, I do think the women will pull it together and get the quota. The same won't be said for the men and our b-boy in Breaking (can't remember if it's Brummit or Sunny). 

Day 0:

08:00 Artistic Swimming Duet Free Preliminary: Kate Elizabeth Shortman and Isabelle Anya Thorpe

08:16 Canoe Sprint Women's Kayak Four Heat 2

08:47 Canoe Sprint Women's Canoe Double Heat 2

09:01 Canoe Sprint Men's Canoe Double Heat 2

10:30 Cycling BMX Freestyle Women's Park Qualification: Holly Louise Pipe, Sasha Pardoe and Charlotte Eliza Worthington

12:45 Cycling BMX Freestyle Men's Park Qualification: Kieran Darren D Reilly and Declan Lee Brooks

14:00 Artistic Swimming Team Free Preliminary

14:38 Canoe Sprint Women's Kayak Four Semifinals

14:53 Canoe Sprint Women's Canoe Double Semifinals

15:00 Canoe Sprint Men's Canoe Double Semifinals

19:30 Opening Ceremony

Edited by Mkbw50

In brotherhood unfold

Canoe Sprint: The British Kayak Four 500m team was third in their Heat 2 with a time of 1:35.804. This means they advance directly to tomorrow's final.

In brotherhood unfold

Canoe Sprint: The British Women's Canoe Double 500m team finished fifth (and last) in their heat in 2:06.410, meaning they'll have to compete in the semifinal at 14:53 BST.

Edited by Mkbw50

In brotherhood unfold

Canoe Sprint: Men's 500m Canoe Double team sixth, 1:46.581. Will have another chance in the semifinal, 15:00.

In brotherhood unfold

Artistic Swimming: Shortman and Thorpe fifth with 207.0023. Enough for Saturday's final.

In brotherhood unfold