website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, phelps said:

also Today, a lot of surprising results among the girls (except for the great Clarisse, of course).

more predictable (even if not at 100%) the men's scores.

I'm glad Van Lieshout reached the medal matches! If she keeps improving like she has the past year, I can see her being a serious medal contender in Paris.

17 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

I'm glad Van Lieshout reached the medal matches! If she keeps improving like she has the past year, I can see her being a serious medal contender in Paris.

and she won the bronze medal!

13 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Nice, we won't leave without a medal this time, first (of hopefully many) WCh medals for Özbas. 

I think also Toth has a good chance tomorrow...his draw isn't that complicated until the quarterfinals (where he's supposed to face :GEO Bekauri).

meanwhile :SLO continue their great tradition in the W -63kg...after Zolnir, Trstenjak now they won a great Silver medal thanks to Leski.

however, :FRA Agbegnenou is really on another level, a class of her own :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Appalling from :GBR, our banker medalist completely tanking it in the first round. There have been a few bright sparks with Smythe-Davis, Moorhead and Howell all getting decent points but on the whole it's been pretty abysmal. I doubt it'll get much better before the end either. The only outside chances we have at a medal are in -78KG women's with Reid and Powell. Things need to change fast otherwise we're gonna get nudged out of many of the weight categories. 

Day #4

women's -63kg

Gold: :FRA Clarisse Agbegnenou

Silver: :SLO Andreja Leski

Bronze: :HUN Szofi Ozbas & :NED Joanne Van Lieshout

men's -81kg

Gold: :GEO Tato Grigalashvili

Silver: :BEL Matthias Casse

Bronze: :JPN Takanori Nagase & :KOR Lee Jun Hwan

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Appalling from :GBR, our banker medalist completely tanking it in the first round. There have been a few bright sparks with Smythe-Davis, Moorhead and Howell all getting decent points but on the whole it's been pretty abysmal. I doubt it'll get much better before the end either. The only outside chances we have at a medal are in -78KG women's with Reid and Powell. Things need to change fast otherwise we're gonna get nudged out of many of the weight categories. 

Agreed - Renshall was pretty dismal but to be fair to her, in 8 tournaments within the qualification period she has been pretty consistent. She could have taken same decision as Chelsie Giles and just focused on the Masters event later in the year because she is sitting pretty safe in the qualification rankings. 

In terms of the other Brits, for the most part they are pretty comfortable in their ranking positions - indeed with Moorhead getting through to the round of 16, he has done enough to move into the last automatic qualifying position. If Jamal Petgrave can get through to the round of 16, he would also have a good chance of moving into an auto qualifying spot. That would in theory open up the potential of a continental quota.

On the women's side, Chelsie Giles is safe at 52Kg (currently 4th) and Ranshall is safe at 63Kg (3rd in ranking). Despite Lele Nairne losing her opening bout this week, she is still comfortably within the automatic quotas at 13th - as you point out this weight also benefits from the return to form of Smythe-Davis who is not too far off the top 17 herself. We've not had their weight class yet, but think we're also well placed in the 78Kg with Powell sitting in 10th and Reid the equivalent of 15th. The only weight class where we could see GBR dropping out of the automatic spots is the 70Kg where Petersen-Pollard is ranked 17th but in theory she would possibly benefit from the continental quota freed up by Moorhead.

Overall as we come to the end of the 1st qualifying period I still think we're likely heading for 5 women and possibly 2 men to qualify.