website statistics

Boxing at the Pacific Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I think the fact that Australia is weak in boxing is not even the main point. I think the key point in being in the Olympics is to deserve to be there, to win a place in a real competition. I don't see there's much merit in winning a quota when you're the only country competing (sorry New Zealand and the others).

Just for the record Oceania wins more Olympic medals than Africa.

So I guess Africa is the weakest continent overall. 

Hard political sell these days though.

Oceania is hopeless at all the combative sports however.

(and there are so many medals in this grouping)

Australia and NZ are very good at water sports 

In fact I'd say that they are ordinary in all gymnasium indoor sports.

To them sport is an outdoor activity

4 hours ago, hoversaBR said:

I think the fact that Australia is weak in boxing is not even the main point. I think the key point in being in the Olympics is to deserve to be there, to win a place in a real competition. I don't see there's much merit in winning a quota when you're the only country competing (sorry New Zealand and the others).

I see this said in a lot of circles, but I'd love to know the criteria that determines which athletes are more "deserving" to be at the Olympics. I think its a slippery slope to judge qualification on.

While Australian athletes may have had an easier route in this case, they still had to train and work for years to get to the level they are at.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

In boxing, the quality from Australia is still good enough to justify a continental quota. It's not like this is wrestling.

However, there's a chance some of the smaller NOCs can take quotas there. :GUM for instance.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I see this said in a lot of circles, but I'd love to know the criteria that determines which athletes are more "deserving" to be at the Olympics. I think its a slippery slope to judge qualification on.

While Australian athletes may have had an easier route in this case, they still had to train and work for years to get to the level they are at.

The Olympics is a very restricted competition. While on other continents there are always several countries with a chance of qualifying, here Australia competes in practically all categories without any remotely decent opponent (rare exceptions). I understand the need to have representatives from Oceania at the Olympics, but I can't help but find it unfair.

On 12/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, Jur said:

I just wish that the :AUS NOC would do like :RSA used to do and rejects those quotas that were won too easily.

they don't do this anymore. As in BMX cycling, where a guy from RSA was the last at World Championships and guaranteed a quota to Paris.