website statistics

Boxing at the Pacific Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 7 months later...

Not entirely sure if there is much point predicting these but for completeness lets do it. Very nearly missed this starting as well. Results site said this wasn't starting until Tuesday. There is one qouta up for grabs in all weightclasses. I don't understand why Oceania needed an automatic quota at all given that enough of them qualified through Asia. I believe 9 Oceanians qualified last time although in a few cases in the same weightclass so this automatic spot but only one per weightclass seems strange and unnecessary

W50kg

Monique Suraci :AUS

Should be pretty clear cut. Will face Tasmyn Benny :NZL in the final after Benny beats a home boxer.

W54kg

Tiana Echegaray :AUS

Tiana Echegaray has beaten Christine Gillespie :NZL before so should win the qouta spot. They face off in the semis before almost certainly meeting Hainite Tuitupou :TGA in the final who is good enough to mention here given thats its not like either of the other two are any good. None of these would be anywhere near a quota globally.

W57kg

Tina Rahimi :AUS

This one isn't a foregone conclusion but I would still back Australia here. Jennifer Peters :NZL is her opponent and doesn't seem to have basically any international experience. Another Semi final matchup for the quota spot with Feofaaki Epenisa :TGA the likely final opponent.

W60kg

Tyla Mcdonald :AUS

I should pick Erin Walsh :NZL here as she is the best New Zealander so far as in she has literally beaten the previous couple but well her international results are pretty hopeless. McDonald's aren't much better but well they are slightly.  McDonald has to go through the only women's quarter final against a home boxer before a semi final against Baby Nansen :SAM who is a professional boxer and kickboxer in New Zealand albeit not a very good one. Walsh's semi is against Elizabeth Teapu :TGA. (Who mixed in with her very Tongan name has a random Quinn thrown in there so clearly has some sort of Irish connection. (Presumably as tangible a connection as Jaismine Camacho-Quinn who was very confused when an Irish interviewer asked her about it in Tokyo.) Erin Walsh has an actual Irish connection as she was born here.)

W66kg

Marissa Williamson :AUS

Entry list has a bunch of entries but its a straight final on the draw sheet unfortunately. Marissa Williamson had a very impressive win beating out World silver medallist at 70kg Kaye Scott at Australian trials and should be way too good for Cara Wharerau :NZL.

W75kg

Caitlin Parker :AUS

Probably the only true Olympic medal contender in Oceania prabably in either gender, Caitlin Parker should be much too good for her competition here. She faces Eseta Flint who is Australian but representing :TGA having obviously failed to get the Australian selection in her semi. The other semi sees Deanne Read :NZL face timolai lafaialii  :SAM.

M51kg

Yusuf Chothia :AUS.

Zain Adams, New Zealand's entry appears to have withdrawn althoug I wouldn't have expected him to qualify anyway. Chothia has to go through Eriu Temakau :KIR who is based in Australia and Charles Keama :PNG before a final probably against Nehal Chand :FIJ. Clinton Tetekana :SOL is the other boxer in the draw. I would be somewhat surprised if any of Chothia's fights go the distance.

M57kg

Charlie Senior :AUS.

Charlie Senior should comfortably win here. His path to the final involves going through David Rounds :TGA, almost certainly Alex Mukuka :NZL and likely Allan Aoike :PNG. Although Aoike does need to beat Boe Warawara :VAN who did compete at the Rio Olympics.

M63.5kg

Harry Garside :AUS.

The only Olympic medallist in the draw although I would not expect him to get anywhere near repeating the feat. He should qualify though albeit the draw could have been kinder with Olympian John Ume :PNG in the first round likely followed by Australian based Pemberton Lele :SOL with Kalani Marra :NZL waiting in the final assuming he beats Lautufa Lutu :SAM and Elia Rokobuli :FIJ.

M71kg

Wendell Stanley :NZL.

Finally I get to pick a non Australian. Shannan Davey :AUS has to go through Tauwhiri Toheriri :COK and likely Taufu Lavemaau :TGA before a final against Wendell Stanley who has a very straightforward path to the final. Stanley beat Davey on a split decision the previous time they met.

M80kg

Callum Peters :AUS  

Callum Peters isn't very good but its a pity that Emile Richardson :NZL is worse. The top of this draw is actually pretty interesting with a quarter final of Richardson against Roman Viney :TGA who met at the New Zealand national champs earlier this year where Richardson won a split decision. Jolando Taala :SAM who is American based awaits in the semis and it is very possible that we don't see a New Zealand Australian final here despite them being on opposite sides of the draw. Peters will likely face Aminiasi Saratiba :FIJ in his semi.

M92kg

Ato Plodziki-Faoagali :SAM

This is the most interesting weightclass here and might the only weight where I'm not entirely sure I made the right pick although one or two of the other ones will definitely prove incorrect for one reason or another. Ato Plodziki-Faoagali goes up against Peneteekosi Tatafu :TGA and Michael Schuster :COK in his path to the final. The other semi will almost certainly see Adrain Paoletti :AUS face Malcolm Matthes :NZL. Paoletti has beaten Matthes before. The loser of Plodzicki-Faoagali vs Paoletti will likely be the only boxer I didn't pick here who I might pick to qualify at one of the world qualifying tournaments although, emphasis on might.

M92+kg

Teremoana Jnr :AUS

There was a fascinating story here as New Zealand champion Matt Mataika :TGA elected to represent Tonga instead due to the self funding requirements of New Zealand boxing. So the real final here is actually the prospective semi between Mataika and Teremoana Jnr. Unfortunately for Tongan hopes Teremoana jnr is one of Australian's better boxers, maybe even their best male boxer here. The other side of the draw probably sees Patrick Mailata :NZL who was born in Samoa face Elijah Mercury Leafa :SAM who is based in New Zealand.

So my final tally is Australia-11, New Zealand-1, Samoa-1 and it is probably more likely Australia gets to 12 than falls to 10. This Australia squad is a half decent Australian squad but the fact that they will cruise to double digits with the likes of Kazakhstan on 2 qualifiers and GB on 3 after continental qualifying is ridiculous.

I should also note that the other non-Olympic weightclasses are being contested here with no Australia or New Zealand so there should be plenty of shinier medals to go around to the smaller nations plus all the bronze going around because the most entries in any of the weight classes is 8 and most have significantly fewer.

Edited by Ogreman

Sometimes I think about providing Olympic consulting to small nations in the Pacific and Africa.

Not sure if they are interested, but if they properly read Olympic Qualification Documents they could even double up their number of athletes...

Some Finals:

W 54KG: Tiana Echegaray :AUS vs Hainite Tuitupou :TGA 

W 60KG: Tyla Mcdonald :AUS vs Erin Walsh :NZL

W 75KG:  Caitlin Parker :AUS vs Deanne Reed :NZL

M 57KG: Charlie Senior :AUS vs Allan Oaike :PNG

M 80KG: Callum Peters :AUS vs Roman Viney :TGA

M 92KG: Adrian Paoletti :AUS vs Ato Plodziki-Faoagali :SAM

The other finals:

W 57KG: Tina Rahimi :AUS vs Feofaaki Epenisa :TGA

W 65KG: :WHT vs :WHT

M 51 KG: Yusuf Chothia :AUS vs Clinton Tekeana :SOL

M 63.5KG: Harry Garside :AUS vs Ellia Rokubili :FIJ