website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC African/European Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2019

phelps

28 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Game over for all... Israel will compete for the frist time in a baseball event

Not game over, just one chance left for one team :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, dcro said:

Another tough defeat coming up for Italy. Maybe they should bring de Niro next time. :d

This would secure the Dutch spot at the other OQT wouldn't it? Don't have the standings in front of me atm 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, rajiv said:

Doesn't basketball have a rule limiting the no of  immigrants in a national team ? Funny how these "immigrants " are invariably African Americans who are usually in negligible numbers in the country's general  population .

I take the point about Chinese table tennis players being ubiquitous ( but every Western country especially the New World  countries do have large Chinese populations )

These Jewish American baseballers are not descendants  of Israelis  ( in the last thousand years at least ). Probably their families came from Eastern Europe 

Would it be so hard to devise a universal general rule for diaspora/immigrants eligibility for national teams ?

My (first ) suggestion is that a country cannot field a greater proportion of  foreign born in a national team than the proportion of  foreign born citizens  among all the citizens living in the country

So clearly countries like USA , Canada ,Australia could have a fair number . They are immigrant countries whish readily grant citizenship 

Countries like Qatar which may well have a huge foreign born population but  very few Foreign born citizens so would not have many

Diaspora producing countries like Italy and Greece would also have few . Maybe  nowadays they have many foreign born in the country but few are citizens 

Funny how a country like the UK which has a huge diaspora -perhaps the biggest (in Europe at least ) ? - doesn't seem to have that many Anglo  Americans / Canadians /Australians etc  in their teams  

If you’re Jewish you’re automatically an Israeli citizen (you still have to apply to become one obviously). To be fair to Israel, they only have like 2 generations of natural born citizens. Plus, Haredi aren’t going to fill the ranks of national sports teams. I too found it hard to be excited for :ISR, but in end I’ll be happy for those guys who made their dream happen.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

40 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If you’re Jewish you’re automatically an Israeli citizen (you still have to apply to become one obviously). To be fair to Israel, they only have like 2 generations of natural born citizens. Plus, Haredi aren’t going to fill the ranks of national sports teams. I too found it hard to be excited for :ISR, but in end I’ll be happy for those guys who made their dream happen.

So your Jewish family has been living their life, earning their money, raising their generations and so on for 400 years in Great Britain, yet you're still automatically an Israeli citizen if you apply simply because Jewish...I mean, sure, every country can make their rules, but that's arguably the weirdest nationality 'rule' in the entire world.

So if I'd follow these steps and convert to Judaism (which I'm of course not going to do, because religion), I'd automatically be eligible for Israeli citizenship solely based on my religion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/judaism/beliefs/conversion.shtml

Edited by heywoodu

Just now, heywoodu said:

So your Jewish family has been living their life, earning their money, raising their generations and so on for 400 years in Great Britain, yet you're still automatically an Israeli citizen if you apply simply because Jewish...I mean, sure, every country can make their rules, but that's arguably the weirdest nationality 'rule' in the entire world.

So if I'd follow these steps and convert to Judaism (which I'm of course not going to do, because religion), I'd automatically be eligible for Israeli citizenship solely based on my religion?

yes...

Just now, heywoodu said:

No, because your ethnicity isn’t historically Jewish. You can’t hate a country for having near open borders like Israel. That’s something they’ve done that I actually like.

Though I imagine it still wouldn’t be too hard to be granted citizenship...

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela