website statistics

Wrestling UWW Asian Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Entry list for the Asian Championships

https://uww.org/article/asian-championships-entry-list

this is not exactly a WCh qualifier but countries have to participate in the continental champs to be eligible to send the same number of wrestlers per style to the Worlds which is the main Olympic qualifier this year.

four paid Russian mercenaries are in the list for Bahrain but as far as I know none of them are anything great but we can judge them better in action.

the level looks OK, lots of big names are missing but still there are some great guys like Makhmudov and Sharshenbekov in the list. the Greco competition looks better in general, more big names are missing in freestyle.

as usual we have a mixture of young and experienced wrestlers in our Asian Champs squad. specially in freestyle half of the team are making their debut in serious senior competitions. and I'm surprised to see World Champion Amouzad in the startlist, as far as I know he is not planned to wrestle here. :question: looking forward to see 18 years old Masoumi at 125kg, he is supposed to be our next big thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The first session was perfect for Iran with 5 out of 5 made it to the final but I have to admit all of them were on the easier side of the draw. still I think it wouldn't make a difference for 3 of our guys. 

I expect 3 or 4 gold medals today,  77kg gold is impossible Akzhol Makhmudov is simply the best in the world.

really impressed by India's new guy at 55kg, never saw him before. he was down 7-0 in the first round and again 4-0 (if I'm not wrong) in the 1/4 final against the Kazakh wrestler, had two incredible combacks to qualify for the final. but I hope his run ends here :d

Edited by MHSN

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

The first session was perfect for Iran with 5 out of 5 made it to the final but I have to admit all of them were on the easier side of the draw. still I think it wouldn't make a difference for 3 of our guys. 

I expect 3 or 4 gold medals today,  77kg gold is impossible Akzhol Makhmudov is simply the best in the world.

really impressed by India's new guy at 55kg, never saw him before. he was down 7-0 in the first round and again 4-0 (if I'm not wrong) in the 1/4 final against the Kazakh wrestler, had two incredible combacks to qualify for the final. but I hope his run ends here :d

Unfortunately did but thanks for the info about rupin , he lost 3-1 so not overwhelming loss against pouya who is the under 23 world champ 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

Unfortunately did but thanks for the info about rupin , he lost 3-1 so not overwhelming loss against pouya who is the under 23 world champ 

well actually Rupin was about to win the match 1-1 but gave up a cheap 2points caution for not listening to the ref. that was a rookie mistake, I can't say he will be a medal favorite at the Worlds, toooo early to say that but he can do some damage. the Kazakh guy he beat is no joke, he elimnated Dadmarz in last year Worlds.

Iran finished the day with 4 golds and 1 silver without losing a single match on the mat, our 77kg was a bit injured and didn't bother facing Akzhol :d (he had no chance to win anyway) 

unlike freestyle we are sending most of our #1 guys in Greco so it was expected to win lots of gold medals. I don't expect the same result tomorrow, not confident about 67 and 72. and also I have to say in 60kg we have World Champion Sharshenbekov in the bracket too.

Iran won the team title in Greco for the 15th time in history but the 2nd day was a total disaster. Iran ended up with 3 more medals (1 G, 1 S and 1 B) but that gold medal was somehow a gift from the ref who fell for our guy's acting. 

winning half of the gold medals (5 out of 10) sounds good on paper but considering the fact that it was almost our A team (without 3 or 4 of our top guys) I'm not convinced at all. specially because this year we have to prepare two teams for the Worlds and the Asian Games. and in some weights we don't even have one solid wrestler :facepalm:

I wonder how other Asian countries will do about this. sending the same team to the Worlds and to the AG (10 days later) ? 

Japan dominated the women's wrestling as expected winning the team title + 5 individual gold medals

but today was the start of the men's freestyle competition, and I have to say it was one of the worst wrestling days I ever seen from the Iranian point of view. before the day when I looked at the brackets, I thought we will 4 in the final at least with 3 golds in the bag for sure but at the end we ended up with just 1 gold and 2 bronze. 

technically this is almost our 2nd/3rd tier squad but not really. World Champion Amouzad (who wasn't supposed to wrestle here but got in because the 2nd guy got injured) won the gold and even he was far from convincing.  Goleij at 97 lost to a guy he can beat 99 out of 100 matches. the Russian mercenary of Bahrain was dead after 2 minutes yet he managed to throw Goleij few times :facepalm: Sarlak at 57kg is #1 and yet he got schooled by Japan #2 by 11 points margin :facepalm:
there is something wrong with this team, I have some guesses but I think in general they weren't mentally ready. looked very confused and lost on the mat. it's highly possible to even lose the team title, Kazakhstan is already too far ahead and they got some easy draws tomorrow.

I think Aman of India was the star of the day, I think I said that before but have to repeat myself that to me he is better than Ravi Kumar. I don't know how things work in India and if they will wrestle in a trial match but I would pick Aman without hesitation. he is a medal favorite this year, even the gold medal is not out of his reach.

13 hours ago, MHSN said:

I think Aman of India was the star of the day, I think I said that before but have to repeat myself that to me he is better than Ravi Kumar. I don't know how things work in India and if they will wrestle in a trial match but I would pick Aman without hesitation. he is a medal favorite this year, even the gold medal is not out of his reach.

Yes Aman Sehrawat is the next big star in Indian wrestling. But there shall be trials for key tournaments like World Championships or Olympic qualifiers. India shall send two teams, one for World Championships and other for Asian Games because of the proximity of the two events.
There were trials last year for Commonwealth Games and Ravi Dahiya had beaten Aman; Ravi later won gold in the Games

Kazakhstan already secured the team title for the first time ever. this is only the 7th time in history that Iran doesn't win the freestyle team title. 

This is a tournament to forget for our freestyle team. or maybe not, a tournament to learn from. the same team with these wrestlers can win 5-6 gold medals in any other day but here in Astana we lost lots of matches in an unbelievable way. Masoumi losing to the Mongolian in the last 2 seconds was the last nail. youngster Masoumi did great (despite the defeat) dominated the world silver medalist but just made a rookie mistake in the last seconds. I think he can be world #1 in a year or two. 

but the rest of the team was simply terrible. this is probably one of the worst tournaments I ever seen. nothing is working. two of our wrestlers lost by 10pts margin to Japan :facepalm: (I assume it never happened before) at least the Japanese 92kg guy has Iranian blood :d his father is Iranian and he looks very good.