website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

it's a serious problem with NBC, i remember beijing 2008 when they started all the feeds on nbcolympics.com, they wouldn't have feeds of the main events and even swimming which was primetime in the east, i still had to wait 3 hours for them to show it in the west.

Then for vancouver even though it was the same timezone as LA, they only showed live the canada-usa hockey final and it was a big deal that it was a live coast to coast

For london they already improved and allowed streaming of gymanstics, swimming, track on nbcolympics, however you had to watch live because there would be no reruns, luckily an evening in london is still a pretty good time in here.

If i remember correctly Rio was the breakthrough, live primetime coast to coast, and everything fully open on nbcolympics, along with rewind and replay even during the live feed, off course the timezone was very good for us.

The one thing about peacock is that if you cant start the feed on time, you should wait for it to be over and then rewatch it, you cannot rewind midstream. I just turned on the diamond league on peacock and i cannot go to the start, just have to finish watching and then rewatch the beginning

As bad a history as NBC has about holding things to primetime, there still were some great moments I saw live on the 2008 streams.  One of the most satifying to watch was actually the first stream I ever saw, the 2008 Women's sabre final, sometime around 6AM Eastern.  And it was done without commentary, IIRC. To the best of my memory, they withheld so much from streams, there were probably only 10 events or so streamed where there was a US gold medal.

Vancouver as you say was even worse, I think they only streamed hockey and curling.

Then The Dick Ebersole Era ended at NBC and things started to improve.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

As bad a history as NBC has about holding things to primetime, there still were some great moments I saw live on the 2008 streams.  One of the most satifying to watch was actually the first stream I ever saw, the 2008 Women's sabre final, sometime around 6AM Eastern.  And it was done without commentary, IIRC. To the best of my memory, they withheld so much from streams, there were probably only 10 events or so streamed where there was a US gold medal.

Vancouver as you say was even worse, I think they only streamed hockey and curling.

I have exactly the same memory, i believe we won all 3 medals with Zagunis winning the gold, at the same time in judo an israeli judoka almost won a bronze

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Not showing sport live and leaving it to later in the day/evening is so archaic it’s hilarious. Literally wouldn’t be tolerated in any other country 

You're right about that.

The excuse you always hear from NBC is they are a commercial network, not a public broadcaster like everyone else, they have to maximize their ratings in prime time to get the most ad revenue they can.  The way they maximize ratings is put together a package of events in prime time that women will want to watch.  And what better than live swimming and taped gmnastics.

USA network & CNBC will be showing tons of sports all day long, so those will be the channel if you want to catch a variety of sports

NBC with their usual morning/afternoon packed highlights and will give gymnastics taped coverage, live swimming and athletics plus skateboarding, delayed diving. Latenight highlights from other sports.

Olympic Channel: TENNIS tennis and more tennis during week 1 of the Games

NBCSN: team sports mostly

Peacock: Gymnastics & Athletics Live streaming

NBC.COM: all sports, all disciplines live

7 hours ago, Triplecast said:

When Comcast took over in 2011, they promised everything live starting with Sochi.  They wound up doing it for London.  I believe the formula for Beijing was that most events were streamed, but none of the big ticket events.  So yes, they likely missed a lot of gold medals.

We are a long ways off from the Ebersol era though, and thank goodness for that.

2 minutes ago, Braulio said:

USA network will be showing tons of sports all day long, so that will be the channel if you want to catch a variety of sports

NBC will give gymnastics taped coverage, live swimming and athletics plus skateboarding, delayed diving

Olympic Channel: TENNIS tennis and more tennis during week 1 of the Games

NBCSN: team sports mostly

Peacock: Gymnastics & Athletics Live streaming

NBC.COM: all sports, all disciplines live

Here's NBC's big summary release from about a month ago.. https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/06/07/nbcuniversal-to-present-unprecedented-7000-hours-of-programming-for-tokyo-olympics-this-summer/

USA and NBCSN are both going 24/7 (or close to it) for the duration of the Olympics.  CNBC has coverage from 8pm until around 4am each day.  Olympic Channel has tennis the first week and wrestling the second week.  Lot of options out there when Peacock is added to the mix

6 hours ago, dodge said:

Not showing sport live and leaving it to later in the day/evening is so archaic it’s hilarious. Literally wouldn’t be tolerated in any other country 

Everything is streamed live now, so it's a thing of the past to say anything is being held until later.  It's not as if all these networks are showing reruns of entertainment programming as opposed to the Olympics.  NBC has made a lot of decisions over the years that aren't exactly viewer-friendly, but thankfully they've evolved out of it.  But they still have an unfair reputation on some times because people don't realize it's not the same NBC coverage we got 20 years ago.

5 hours ago, Triplecast said:

You're right about that.

The excuse you always hear from NBC is they are a commercial network, not a public broadcaster like everyone else, they have to maximize their ratings in prime time to get the most ad revenue they can.  The way they maximize ratings is put together a package of events in prime time that women will want to watch.  And what better than live swimming and taped gmnastics.

The theory has always been "you wouldn't tape delay a football game, would you?"  Of course they don't, people wouldn't watch that.  Different with the Olympics which is largely a collection of shorter events.  It's not a 2 hour basketball game or a 3 hour football game.  People will come to watch as long as the video is first run.  Especially if Americans and popular athletes are winning.  That's why NBC will tend to go all in on certain athletes (not that other countries don't have their favorites, but they're more reliant on the world feed which is supposed to remain netural.

The other business aspect of television in the United States is that broadcast networks are not allowed to own the majority of the stations that broadcast their signals.  So they need to keep their affiliates happy in ways that other countries and their broadcasters don't have to deal with.  In 2002, Ebersol wanted to broadcast the primetime show live to the West coast.  The affiliates pushed back.  For them, it was better for business to have a delay.  That's why it stayed like that for a long time until 2018 when the West Coast finally got the same primetime show.  And that's largely because it's an Olympics in Asia with live events in West Coast primetime.  Same here and for Beijing as well.

13 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

You know..... i dont remember..... i am actually trying to find that same information, it's been 5 years after all

I do remember that i downloaded a firefox extension that gave the actual link of the stream, and then i downloaded separately the video and the audio, and the connected the 2. However just now i found a chrome extension that gave me a link right away and downloaded a stream from nbcolympics.com (7 minute video, top quality, 229 mb)

Maybe it is the Flash Video Downloader? The extension with a blue arrow?

I used it to download some events and exhibition gala of Pyeongchang 2018 from the NBC stream

British Eurosport’s schedule for the pre-Games week is now in the EPG. They’re covering two of the football matches on each of the Wednesday & Thursday mornings, including the GBR v Chile Women’s match & the rowing heats overnight on Friday morning.