website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I believe the strategy all along was to use Tokyo 2020 to aggressively promote Peacock. Obviously those plans were delayed somewhat by COVID.

It launched last July, less than 2 weeks before what was supposed to be the original start of the Games.  So yes, they were always going to push Peacock.  And remember also they're shutting down NBCSN (their cable network), so that will probably push more programming to Peacock for the Winter Olympics next year

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

It launched last July, less than 2 weeks before what was supposed to be the original start of the Games.  So yes, they were always going to push Peacock.  And remember also they're shutting down NBCSN (their cable network), so that will probably push more programming to Peacock for the Winter Olympics next year

I'm really hoping that they will leave stuff on peacock.   After rio I found a way to save the events off nbcolympics and downloaded about 5tb of all the events.  I rather avoid it this time but still have access to it at a later date

3 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I'm really hoping that they will leave stuff on peacock.   After rio I found a way to save the events off nbcolympics and downloaded about 5tb of all the events.  I rather avoid it this time but still have access to it at a later date

5 TB?  Damn.. I only have 6 TB of space for Tokyo.  I hope it's enough! :d

I'll send you a PM, I think there might be a couple of things here we can share.  And wait til you see the spreadsheet I've been putting together with all the events

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'll send you a PM, I think there might be a couple of things here we can share.  And wait til you see the spreadsheet I've been putting together with all the events

You? Lol I have a very big automated spreadsheet too lollll

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

While I'm fine watching it live on NBC Olympics with the OBS commentators good to see that now there is a way to see the us feed for gymnastics and track&field live

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

And it'll be separate commentary teams, not the usual suspects on NBC.  So that will be a nice change of pace there to get 2 completely different broadcasts.  Easier on those crews so they don't have to pull double duty

I'm being old school here, it's easy to conclude that athletics and artistic gymnastics are on Peacock  as opposed to regular networks is the old rule that once you broadcast something, its free game to other networks. e.g., you'd probably see the 100m replayed at least 100 times (slight exageration) before the prime time NBC broadcast if its shown live on any regular network.  So, again, NBC is embargoing prime events from the morning until they can be the first to show it on the primetime broadcast.   

1 minute ago, Triplecast said:

I'm being old school here, it's easy to conclude that athletics and artistic gymnastics are on Peacock  as opposed to regular networks is the old rule that once you broadcast something, its free game to other networks. e.g., you'd probably see the 100m replayed at least 100 times (slight exageration) before the prime time NBC broadcast if its shown live on any regular network.  So, again, NBC is embargoing prime events from the morning until they can be the first to show it on the primetime broadcast.   

That is an interesting law. It wouldn’t be the the case here in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

it's a serious problem with NBC, i remember beijing 2008 when they started all the feeds on nbcolympics.com, they wouldn't have feeds of the main events and even swimming which was primetime in the east, i still had to wait 3 hours for them to show it in the west.

Then for vancouver even though it was the same timezone as LA, they only showed live the canada-usa hockey final and it was a big deal that it was a live coast to coast

For london they already improved and allowed streaming of gymanstics, swimming, track on nbcolympics, however you had to watch live because there would be no reruns, luckily an evening in london is still a pretty good time in here.

If i remember correctly Rio was the breakthrough, live primetime coast to coast, and everything fully open on nbcolympics, along with rewind and replay even during the live feed, off course the timezone was very good for us.

The one thing about peacock is that if you cant start the feed on time, you should wait for it to be over and then rewatch it, you cannot rewind midstream. I just turned on the diamond league on peacock and i cannot go to the start, just have to finish watching and then rewatch the beginning

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Can I trouble you for a PM as well?

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

May I know how did you manage that? 

Just now, Braulio said:

May I know how did you manage that? 

You know..... i dont remember..... i am actually trying to find that same information, it's been 5 years after all

I do remember that i downloaded a firefox extension that gave the actual link of the stream, and then i downloaded separately the video and the audio, and the connected the 2. However just now i found a chrome extension that gave me a link right away and downloaded a stream from nbcolympics.com (7 minute video, top quality, 229 mb)