website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

Just now, bmo said:

Yes, I believe you need a cable subscription 

Welp, time to be a cal e subscriber for exactly one month *sigh*

I mostly used CBC for 2016 (they had a better video player than NBC) but the VPN can only support so many video feeds.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Correct, but note there are some big ticket events on Peacock, notably gymnastics and track and field.  And they are on the free version of Peacock rather than the premium service (with the exception of men's basketball, that's premium), so that's a big deal for them to be offering anything up for free rather than putting it behind a paywall

I believe the strategy all along was to use Tokyo 2020 to aggressively promote Peacock. Obviously those plans were delayed somewhat by COVID.

Not impressed with NBC over the air TV, it's like swimming will be the main sport with some track and field and we will be back for the other sports to tape delay

Of course the other networks have pretty decent coverage for those with cable/satellite service

23 minutes ago, Braulio said:

Not impressed with NBC over the air TV, it's like swimming will be the main sport with some track and field and we will be back for the other sports to tape delay

Of course the other networks have pretty decent coverage for those with cable/satellite service

A lot of people have the old school thinking that the Olympics is something that NBC is supposed to package to watch between 8pm and Midnight and that they're obligated to show the entire thing there.  That's not how the world works in 2021.  Everything is streamed live (yes, although it requires a cable subscription).  Cable networks have hundreds of hours of live coverage.  People may get upset that specific events aren't where they want them to be, but it's not as if there will be a lack of viewing options out there covering 24 hours a day throughout the games.

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I know this is meaningless to anyone not in the United States, but they just released their full TV schedule..

TOKYO OLYMPICS LISTINGS

I put together a big spreadsheet of all the event listings.  I'll share that here once I add all this info in.

While I'm fine watching it live on NBC Olympics with the OBS commentators good to see that now there is a way to see the us feed for gymnastics and track&field live

5 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

While I'm fine watching it live on NBC Olympics with the OBS commentators good to see that now there is a way to see the us feed for gymnastics and track&field live

And it'll be separate commentary teams, not the usual suspects on NBC.  So that will be a nice change of pace there to get 2 completely different broadcasts.  Easier on those crews so they don't have to pull double duty

Just now, Quaker2001 said:

And it'll be separate commentary teams, not the usual suspects on NBC.  So that will be a nice change of pace there to get 2 completely different broadcasts.  Easier on those crews so they don't have to pull double duty

Ok but why.   Is the NBC commentary team going to provide their sound later in the day and not live ? Are they even sending anyone to Tokyo or they are all broadcasting from the NBC studios

7 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Ok but why.   Is the NBC commentary team going to provide their sound later in the day and not live ? Are they even sending anyone to Tokyo or they are all broadcasting from the NBC studios

That's exactly what's going to happen.  The presentation on NBC will likely be heavily edited, so this allows that team to work solely towards that end and let the other crew focus on the live broadcast.

As to your second question.. I read that NBC's staff will about half and half between Tokyo and Stamford (NBC studios in Connecticut).  It normally probably would have been about 2/3 and 1/3, but some things were moved back to the states.

Here is their full list of commentators.  It notes who is or isn't in Tokyo.. RECORD 178 COMMENTATORS JOIN NBC OLYMPICS’ COVERAGE OF THE GAMES OF THE XXXII OLYMPIAD FROM TOKYO, JAPAN