website statistics

Rowing WR World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dutch coaches decide not to enter any boats. There are 4 events without a Dutch quota. It seems unlikely they will be able to find competitive LDS. There was no Dutch W8 in Belgrade, and one could only be formed through having athletes enter in two events. So it really depends on the schedule in Paris and the willingness of the coaches to take risks on double starts. If they do, it would inevitably be a very competitive boat, consisting of more than a few current World Champions in other boats. Remains the MSS. I think it’s anyone’s guess, but if competitive rowers were available, they would have started in Belgrade. This was clearly the odds and ends boat, without any real expectation of success.

Edited by Noorderling29

5 hours ago, Noorderling29 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dutch coaches decide not to enter any boats. There are 4 events without a Dutch quota. It seems unlikely they will be able to find competitive LDS. There was no Dutch W8 in Belgrade, and one could only be formed through having athletes enter in two events. So it really depends on the schedule in Paris and the willingness of the coaches to take risks on double starts. If they do, it would inevitably be a very competitive boat, consisting of more than a few current World Champions in other boats. Remains the MSS. I think it’s anyone’s guess, but if competitive rowers were available, they would have started in Belgrade. This was clearly the odds and ends boat, without any real expectation of success.

Very good point. It should be easier to compete in multiple events. It would decrease the number of athletes. Maybe they should go from heats straight to the final. No reason why one athlete should be able to win multiple medals in canoeing, swimming or biathlon, but not in rowing.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:30 AM, Mateus Nagime said:

But in the meantime, their quotas are secured, as it's fair to be, since the athletes won (if they are allowed or not to participate is another matter, but since they are, they should be able to earn their quotas).

No, participation in the tournament does not provide the right to be qualified. For example, RPO athletes at the European Shotgun Championships recently. One of them got enough points to get place in final and fightt for quota. But was not eligible to qualify according to the regulations. The same applies to russians and belorussians in our case. They were allowed to participate but not to qualify.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:30 AM, Mateus Nagime said:

What I'm still struggling to understand is if Russian and Belarus will count as "one team" in the matters of quota. In Tennis rankings for instance (could 6 russians and 6 belarussians go or 6 in total? could russia and belarus form a pair?). 

According to actual rules pairs are not allowed at all. They will be counted separately. But!!

I doubt they will have full squads since tennis players have to take part id Davis Cup / Billie Jean King Cup competitions in 2023/2024 to be qligible.

image.png

There are some exceptions. But I doubt they will use all their "wild cards" for russians and bellorussians.

image.png

Sorry for late responce.

52 minutes ago, avlar said:

No, participation in the tournament does not provide the right to be qualified. For example, RPO athletes at the European Shotgun Championships recently. One of them got enough points to get place in final and fightt for quota. But was not eligible to qualify according to the regulations. The same applies to russians and belorussians in our case. They were allowed to participate but not to qualify.

According to actual rules pairs are not allowed at all. They will be counted separately. But!!

I doubt they will have full squads since tennis players have to take part id Davis Cup / Billie Jean King Cup competitions in 2023/2024 to be qligible.

image.png

There are some exceptions. But I doubt they will use all their "wild cards" for russians and bellorussians.

image.png

Sorry for late responce.

hey, mate, no worries.

In the end we have no clue what will be made of hahaha

but i am "saving" the quota for Belarus on my notes and I guess if the quota is not to Belarus, probably it will be used as a "Reallocation" case.

It could have been the first Belarus quota, as Russia has already some OQT in athletics (to be seen if they will be valid...)

Regarding the tennis, the same scenario... The Davis Cup/BJK thing in the end is a big bull**** used to punish athletes who are in dispute with their federations. It was hardly used in Tokyo/Rio. The athletes from Russia and Belarus would claim that their team was not allowed, so therefore they could not commit to their teams. I'm sure this will not be a decider for that.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:47 AM, Noorderling29 said:

Romania always double up at every event, bur they are the only regular medal-winning nation that train for it.  Some others might do it in an emergency qualification situation, as we did with the women’s eight last week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, Ogreman said:
          Form rankings                

M1X W1X M2- W2- M2X W2X LM2X LW2X M4- W4- M4X W4X M8+ W8+
1 GER NED GBR< AUS NED ROU IRL GBR GBR AUS POL NED GBR ROU<
2 DEN AUS ROU> ROU CRO< LTU FRA ROU< AUS ROU NED CHN NED GBR
3 NZL NZL SWI NED ITA CHN< SWI FRA NZL GBR ITA GBR AUS CAN
4 JPN SWI ESP IRL IRL> USA ITA USA< NED USA GBR SWI ROU< AUS
5 GRE GER IRL GRE ROU FRA CZE IRL USA NED AUS UKR GER USA
6 BEL USA LTU GBR ESP IRL ESP GRE> FRA IRL ROU GER USA> CHN
7 CRO AUT SRB USA BEL AUS GRE NZL ROU CHN EST< ITA< CHN ITA
8 BUL UZB< AUS LTU CHN GRE< BEL CHN UKR DEN UKR< USA> ITA GER
9 NED> SRB< DEN< CHI NZL NED NZL ITA SWI< NZL IRL CAN CAN  
10 LTU CHN> USA DEN MDA NOR UKR CAN CHN< ESP GER AUS AUT  
11 CAN BUL AIN (B) ESP USA POL MEX> POL GER> POL NOR FRA    
12 AIN (R) ESP CRO< CZE> FRA GER NOR SWI POL GER SWI ROU    
13 SRB LTU NZL CRO AUS GBR POL AUS RSA> CAN LTU CZE    
14 HUN ITA< ITA GER NOR< ITA CHN AUT IRL> MEX CHN      
15 ITA> AIN (B)< RSA POL GER NZL GER GER ITA   USA      
16 NOR CZE CAN ITA GBR CZE POR ESP DEN   CAN      
17 URU< TUR NED NZL GRE CAN AUS DEN     CZE      
18 BRA ROU TUR CAN CZE SWI> USA TUN            
19 ESP GBR> POL AIN (B) SRB RSA TUR> PER            
20 AUS UKR FRA FRA POL>   AUT EGY            
21 USA AIN (R) CHN CHN UKR<   EST              
22 POR FRA GER PAR SWE<   URU              
23 AIN (B) JPN HUN   LTU   UZB>              
24 CHN POL SLO   BUL   ISR              
25 SLO NOR< CZE   URU>   EGY              
26 TUN LAT< EGY   RSA                  
27 TUR SLO     CUB                  
28 MON PER     EGY                  
29 ROU KUW     PER                  
30 CYP BRN     BRN                  
31 ISR TOG                        
32 AZE                          
33 SWE>                          
34 EGY                          
35 MEX>                          
36 ESA<                          
37 BER                          
38 FIN                          
39 PAR                          
40 ZIM                          
41 CIV<                          
42 IRQ                          
43 GEO                          
44 BAR                          
45 ANG                          
46 BEN                          
47 SUD                          
48 LIB                          

Right, Only two weeks after the event finished, here is my final update. I was going to include the next two best boats in each boat class but it looked chaotic and at least in 2019 although probably mostly pandemic related very few boats that narrowly missed out at worlds actually ended up qualifying for the Olympics.

Hit rates
Semi finals Finals Podium Winners Olympic qualifiers
122/144 (84.1%) 63/84 (75%) 32/42 (76.2%) 9/14 (64.3%) 91/114 (79.8%)

So it held up quite well in terms of predicting medallists and winners so a similar type of ranking may well prove fairly accurate at least at predicting the podium at the Olympics next year. I fell one boat short of hitting my 80% target on qualifiers but sure we will round it up and say we sort of got there. Overestimating Greece's early season form and underestimating New Zealand probably were predictable errors and therefore incorporable into this ranking that probably cost me an extra one or two correct qualifiers.

Edited by Ogreman