website statistics

Olympic Games Coverage

Rafa Maciel

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

tbh, I always dreamed of a coverage like we had in Tokyo...:bowdown:

OK, Discovery messed up quite a few things, but having all the streams (in good quality, even if I missed the 4K a lot) of all the events live and on demand was priceless.

for the first time ever, I could really choose what to watch and when...I only hope that next time round they will keep the Olympic streams available on the apps for connected devices a bit longer, so to easily get all the things I had to skip in the 2 Olympic weeks because of the lack of time.

and OK, it's behind a paywall, but it's an extremely cheap wall, that 99% of people can easily afford without any regret.

therefore I'm more than happy of this new deal between WB-D and the IOC.

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah: I’d rather pay & get the service than not pay & not get it.  :yes

NBC messed up big time with Tokyo because they were touting Peacock as their big new streaming service, but didn't really advertise the fact they'd only have coverage of certain events.  And some of the live events they did have were on the free version rather than the subscription service.  Plus, I interacted with some people that weren't aware that every event could be live streamed through their app if you have a cable subscription.

They fixed that for Beijing.  All of the streaming was there, so you get everything with the basic subscription tier.  I remember back in the day the thinking was "wouldn't it be great if NBC had a pay-per-view where you could get all the Olympics."  Well, that's exactly what we have now.  For $5, sign up for Peacock for the month and cancel right after.  Sure, technically that's a paywall, but that's an unbelievably good deal for the country that once put a $125 price point on the Olympics Triplecast.  Looking forward to clapping back at the "it's the Olympics, they should be free" crowd next summer when they're complaining that $5 is too expensive.  For.. the.. entire.. Olympics!

13 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

BBC have announced that they have obtained the rights to show both summer and winter Olympic games through to 2032:

Olympic Games to remain free to air on BBC up to 2032 - BBC Sport

In the past, British viewers were spoiled by the BBC - particularly in London and Rio - with dedicated coverage for each individual sport so you didn't miss anything. Unfortunately, after the rights were sold to WB Discovery, the BBC coverage pretty much fell off a cliff and we were left with just 2 live streams and only one of them was on terrestrial TV whilst the other was online. For Tokyo, we had to endure hours of "talking heads" filling the time with inane chatter talking about sports that they hadn't bothered to research and didn't have a clue what was going on.

So, whilst it's good news that the BBC will be continuing to show the games, if the terms are the same as they were for Tokyo, I think it is safe to say that true sports fans will be left wholly underwhelmed by their offering. 

I will argue, that the BBC's coverage will do for a general audience, and that for Olympic obsessives like us Eurosport does offer a very reasonable price, compared to Sky Sports and BT Sport. Eurosport's coverage of Tokyo 2020 was no-frills (I like the BBC's "frills" tbh) but it was perfect for people like us: turn on the stream you wanted, and watch the sport you wanted, no real coverage, interviews, etc. My plan was to have BBC on the big screen, and Eurosport on the laptop/small screens.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

I notice that some versions of the Olympics Channel app are closing this month. Certainly the Amazon Fire one is, and also the Apple TV.  But if I understand it correctly then the web-based, IPad & Android versions will continue.

I guess just a cost-cutting measure.

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I notice that some versions of the Olympics Channel app are closing this month. Certainly the Amazon Fire one is, and also the Apple TV.  But if I understand it correctly then the web-based, IPad & Android versions will continue.

I guess just a cost-cutting measure.

that's sh*t!

the apple tv one, is basically the only one that works well to re-watch the Olympic Games of Tokyo and Beijing (even if it also has the bug of not making available the replays of the events gone live, speaking of the other sport competitions).

they should have better apps instead of closing them down! :hairpull: :facepalm:

this IOC sucks more than ever! :thumbdown:

11 minutes ago, phelps said:

video not available in Italy :cry:

It was the unveiling of the NBC Olympic logo. Basically a heads up to Americans that don't know the Olympics is next summer. The woman in the video is Paris Hilton (get it?).

Edited by owenp_23