website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

18 minutes ago, Shravan Kumar said:

Yeah I agree with you

But double digits is not expected by anyone in India. 

And 34 (or something) they expect for the Netherlands is not expected by anyone in the Netherlands. 

And xx is not expected by anyone in xx. Etc :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

24 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Clients for this bullshit even us in a forum can do (and better than them)?

Yes, for example by not acting as if every event only has three potential medalists (or four in certain sports).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Even though Gracenote's full medal results are unavailable, after surfing through the wonderful tool that is Google, I was able to find some of the medal predictions for Great Britain and Japan. I will update this post if I find anything else.

:GBR Great Britain:

Gold:
Laura Muir, Athletics, Women's 1500m
Dina Asher-Smith, Athletics, Women's 200m
Great Britain, Athletics, Men's 4x100m Relay
Liam Heath, Canoeing, Men's K1 200m
Great Britain, Cycling, Men's Team Pursuit
Great Britain, Cycling, Women's Team Pursuit
Canter (Allstar B), Equestrian, Individual Eventing
Great Britain, Equestrian, Team Eventing
Max Whitlock, Gymnastics, Men's Pommel Horse
Hannah Mills/Eilidh McIntyre, Saiing, Women's 470
Dylan Fletcher/Stuart Bithell, Sailing, Men's 49er
Matthew Coward-Holley, Shooting, Men's Trap
Adam Peaty, Swimming, Men's 100m Breaststroke,
Ben Proud, Swimming, Men's 50m Freestyle
Bianca Walkden, Taekwondo, Women's Heavyweight 67+kg
Bronze:
Dina Asher-Smith, Athletics, Women's 100m

Source: https://www.eurosport.com/olympics/tokyo-2020/2020/tokyo-2020-olympics-great-britain-projected-to-miss-medal-target-win-15-golds_sto7378519/story.shtml

:JPN Japan:

Gold:
Kanoa Igarashi, Surfing, Men's
Aori Nishimura, Skateboarding, Women's Street
Japan, Softball, Women's Tournament
Ayumi Uekusa, Karate, Women's 61+kg
Ryo Kiyuna, Karate, Men's Kata
Kiyou Shimizu, Karate, Women's Kata
Kento Momota, Badminton, Men's Singles
Nozomi Okuhara, Badminton, Women's Singles
Some Japanese Pair, Badminton, Men's Doubles,
Some Japanese Pair, Badminton, Women's Doubles
Yui Ohashi, Swimming, Women's 400m Individual Medley
Judo: 12 Gold Medals
Silver:
Tomoa Narasaki, Sport Climbing, Men's Combined
Akiyo Noguchi, Sport Climbing, Women's Combined
Naomi Osaka, Tennis, Women's Singles
Yui Ohashi, Swimming, Women's 200m Individual Medley
Mai Murakami, Gymnastics, Women's Floor Exercise
Bronze:
Miu Hirano, Table Tennis, Women's Singles

Source: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2019/07/3c63734111a3-olympics-experts-predict-record-2020-medal-haul-top-3-for-japan.html

Edited by Topicmaster1010

those predictions about Japan...:roflmao:

12 Gold medals in Judo? it's not gonna happen even in their wet dreams...

and the same is for the Badminton sweep of golds...

then, no Seto medals in swimming nor men's artistic gymnastics success? c'mon, man!

and it's also a very random pick to have women's Street Skateboarding gold (which is not to be excluded, but it's not the most common preview) and not the women's Park one, which is almost impossible for them to lose...

p.s. not that the British predictions are reliable as well, but some of them will likely become true...

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

Apart from Men's Doubles, Japan will be favourite to win gold in the remaining 3 categories shown here. Kento Momota (WR 1) is in amazing form. Yamaguchi/Okuhara (WR 2 and 3) are also in top form and Tai (WR 1) has a bad record in big tournaments. In WD, Japan has 4 pairs in top 10. Even in MD, they have two pairs in top 5 so they winning gold is not ridiculous but Indonesians are favourite there. So, with home support, Japan winning 3 golds in Badminton is very likely.

1 minute ago, Dolby said:

Apart from Men's Doubles, Japan will be favourite to win gold in the remaining 3 categories shown here. Kento Momota (WR 1) is in amazing form. Yamaguchi/Okuhara (WR 2 and 3) are also in top form and Tai (WR 1) has a bad record in big tournaments. In WD, Japan has 4 pairs in top 10. Even in MD, they have two pairs in top 5 so they winning gold is not ridiculous but Indonesians are favourite there. So, with home support, Japan winning 3 golds in Badminton is very likely.

I don't think China will just watch the home Nation to dominate...

Japan can have a lot of no. 1 seeded athletes, but the Chinese record at the Olympics speaks for them...even when they don't enter as the favourites, at least 2/3 gold medals fly to Beijing and surroundings...

I don't expect Japan to win more than 2 gold medals in Badminton...but, as always, this is just my opinion...and it counts as any other people in the world (so, basically nothing :lol::facepalm:)...

7 hours ago, vinipereira said:

I think the IOC doesn't allow for very original designs for Summer Olympic medals (but apparently this is not a rule for Winter Olympics). I heard some rumors that the Rio 2016 first design tried to incorporate wood to the medals but wasn't allowed, which for better or worse led to a fairly basic final design.

But China managed to insert jade into the medals... Perhaps wood is going to anger environmentalists (and also not in term with Rio 2016 which was very concerned with climate change)

Just now, Griff88 said:

But China managed to insert jade into the medals... Perhaps wood is going to anger environmentalists (and also not in term with Rio 2016 which was very concerned with climate change)

no, it's because wood is going to deteriorate with time, even if you treat it with some chemical products to try and keep it good through time...

21 minutes ago, phelps said:

those predictions about Japan...:roflmao:

12 Gold medals in Judo? it's not gonna happen even in their wet dreams...

then, no Seto medals in swimming nor men's artistic gymnastics success? c'mon, man!

and it's also a very random pick to have women's Street Skateboarding gold (which is not to be excluded, but it's not the most common preview) and not the women's Park one, which is almost impossible for them to lose...

p.s. not that the British predictions are reliable as well, but some of them will likely become true...

Really unrealistic estimate for judo. I mean, 12 golds??? Not happened even in their golden years, with Tani and others.