website statistics

Marathon Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

6 minutes ago, Vektor said:

"In addition to the process above, any Federation with qualified pool athletes who have achieved an Olympic Qualification Time (OQT) in either the 800-meter or 1500-meter freestyle (for both genders) may enter those athletes into the Marathon Swimming Event provided such entries will comply with Federation team limits where no more than two athletes of the same gender per Federation."

Oh, hadn’t caught that before. I humbly remove my disdain.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Wait, I thought that athletes with 800m and 1500m OQTs can compete in the 10k? 

This is what the qualification document says:

"In addition to the process above, any Federation with qualified pool athletes who have achieved an Olympic Qualification Time (OQT) in either the 800-meter or 1500-meter freestyle (for both genders) may enter those athletes into the Marathon Swimming Event provided such entries will comply with Federation team limits where no more than two athletes of the same gender per Federation."

well, that's new compared to the past Olympics

with these rules, I wonder why our team is so worried about getting the quota places tomorrow and Sunday

they just need to swim a good 1500m, which is way easier than medalling in a world race, and they're in :mumble:

2 hours ago, phelps said:

well, that's new compared to the past Olympics

with these rules, I wonder why our team is so worried about getting the quota places tomorrow and Sunday

they just need to swim a good 1500m, which is way easier than medalling in a world race, and they're in :mumble:

Ya, and they don't even need to swim in the 800m or 1500m to be eligible - as long as they have the OQT in either they can just be a relay swimmer in the heats of the 4x200m relay, and then be eligible to compete in the 10km.

17 minutes ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Anyone know the current live results? The world aquatics website isn't updating for me

As always, FINA (real) live timing is a pay service. I think that they sell it to the journalists, the price is literally crazy.

Expected gold for Beck with an amazing strategy. Finishing top 3 is a huge (and in my opinion unfair) advantage. The top 3 can now already prepare for Paris. Personally i am happy that no nation won more than one quota. At times the race was very hard to follow (why does everyone have to wear a white cap ...), but the finish was very exciting. I think next year Grimes will be smarter and should be the one to beat in Paris.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

It was a really enjoyable race, sadly with not an Italian joy.

Cunha not event on the podium is a bit a surprise, considering how she swam

The level is very high. Van Rouwendaal, Cunha and Kirpichnikova all out of the top 3.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

The 12th place is a bit of disappointment from Olasz, but the 9th place is great from Fábián at the age of 18. We are looking good for the two quotas here if everything goes well in Doha. Thankfully the future of Hungarian open water swimming is looking bright with Bettina Fábián and Dávid Betlehem. 

Edited by Vektor