website statistics

Marathon Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 5 months later...

Checking Wikipedia for the schedule, but the 25k seems to be missing? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

Yea, it was dropped from the program

Unbelievable. Well, not really, because it's not urban and fast-paced enough, but come on. Luckily it's at least not actually called 'Marathon swimming' as far as I see in the official things, since one can't have a 10k as maximum and call it that obviously.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wonder how many of the swimmers here already have quotas. Both of our swimmers in the men's 10k already qualified in men's 1500m. 

the problem is that any quota place obtained in the pool doesn't count at all for the Olympic 10km race

you have to earn your spot in the specific OQR for this discipline (Fukuoka and Doha, basically)

in the women's 10km, however, I think there are only a few girls who already have a OQT in the pool: for sure, :USA Katie Grimes, :FRA Anastasiia Kirpichnikova; then I'm not sure about :NED Sharon Van Rouwendal, :GER Leonie Beck.

I think it's all.

among the men, both :HUN and both :GER swimmers and stop.

I don't think the :FRA guys have a good 1500m/800m time (maybe Logan Fontaine, but it's improbable) and both our guys :ITA Paltrinieri and :ITA Acerenza this year haven't swam the OQT yet 'cause they're focusing on this race to earn the quota place (our technical director said without any problem that our target is getting all 4 quotas here in Fukuoka, without having to participate to the next world champs in Doha with the Olympians), but I'm pretty sure that they will get an OQT in the pool the first time they really swim that races seriously (and Paltrinieri is going to swim the 800m and 1500m in the pool at this world champ, so, it's just a matter of time)

p.s. I'm surprised :FRA have not chosen Marc Antoine Olivier for the 10km race (but it looks it's just a disciplinary choice, rather than technical)

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

the problem is that any quota place obtained in the pool doesn't count at all for the Olympic 10km race

you have to earn your spot in the specific OQR for this discipline (Fukuoka and Doha, basically)

in the women's 10km, however, I think there are only a few girls who already have a OQT in the pool: for sure, :USA Katie Grimes, :FRA Anastasiia Kirpichnikova; then I'm not sure about :NED Sharon Van Rouwendal, :GER Leonie Beck.

I think it's all.

among the men, both :HUN and both :GER swimmers and stop.

I don't think the :FRA guys have a good 1500m/800m time (maybe Logan Fontaine, but it's improbable) and both our guys :ITA Paltrinieri and :ITA Acerenza this year haven't swam the OQT yet 'cause they're focusing on this race to earn the quota place (our technical director said without any problem that our target is getting all 4 quotas here in Fukuoka, without having to participate to the next world champs in Doha with the Olympians), but I'm pretty sure that they will get an OQT in the pool the first time they really swim that races seriously (and Paltrinieri is going to swim the 800m and 1500m in the pool at this world champ, so, it's just a matter of time)

p.s. I'm surprised :FRA have not chosen Marc Antoine Olivier for the 10km race (but it looks it's just a disciplinary choice, rather than technical)

Are you sure that Paltrinieri doesn't have the OQT? I think he swam 14:49 at the italian championships. Neither Van Rouwendaal nor Beck have the OQT and i am not really sure if they will try. I don't see either of them competing in the pool next year. On the women's side Jungblut and Tadeucchi missed the OQT by less than a second.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, phelps said:

Which annoys the hell out of me since were shrinking the field size of this event, and wasting an easy opportunity to include swimmers already lodged in the Olympic Village.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Are you sure that Paltrinieri doesn't have the OQT? I think he swam 14:49 at the italian championships. Neither Van Rouwendaal nor Beck have the OQT and i am not really sure if they will try. I don't see either of them competing in the pool next year. On the women's side Jungblut and Tadeucchi missed the OQT by less than a second.

you're right, Paltrinieri has the OQT (I was thinking to the Italian standard time, which is faster than that)

in any case, for him it's not a problem at all...nobody would even think of leaving him home next year (and he surely will swim faster in the pool once he gets the quota place in the 10km race)

Taddeucci also will never swim the pool events in any case, for her they're just a training for the Open Water events

5 hours ago, phelps said:

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Which annoys the hell out of me since were shrinking the field size of this event, and wasting an easy opportunity to include swimmers already lodged in the Olympic Village.

Wait, I thought that athletes with 800m and 1500m OQTs can compete in the 10k? 

This is what the qualification document says:

"In addition to the process above, any Federation with qualified pool athletes who have achieved an Olympic Qualification Time (OQT) in either the 800-meter or 1500-meter freestyle (for both genders) may enter those athletes into the Marathon Swimming Event provided such entries will comply with Federation team limits where no more than two athletes of the same gender per Federation."