website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

31 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whilst disappointing, I don't think Gadirova's injury will fundamentally shift the needle for British Gymnastics going into Paris. They will still be set a target of 3-5 medals across the artistic, rhythmic and trampoline disciplines. Within artistic, even without Gadirova, they will have realistic medal chances with the men's team, Whitlock on pommel, Jarman on vault, Tulloch on rings and even an outside chance at an all-around medal from Joe Fraser. Obviously a lot depends on how the winter goes, but GB Gymnastics will be thinking they are in a good place going into Paris.

In terms of funding, I'm not sure what you've based the assertion that lottery funding is rapidly falling. Financial support from UK Sport for the Paris Olympic cycle amounts to 241mln which is a significant increase on the 221mln awarded going into Tokyo. In addition to the funding of the national federations, there is around an additional 60mln of funding which is given directly to athletes. 

Looking at gymnastics specifically, they have received 13.3mln going into Paris - up from 13.2mln ahead of Tokyo. Assuming that the GB team does fall short of their target, whilst they would expect a funding cut, it is unlikely to be major and I'd still expect it to be in the region of 12.5-13mln. One of the biggest factors counting against major funding cuts is the need to address and implement the findings of the Whyte review. 

The actual pot of money within the lottery is dropping as it is suffering reduced player numbers, 

8 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

The actual pot of money within the lottery is dropping as it is suffering reduced player numbers, 

The number of people playing the lottery always fluctuates depending on the level of the jackpot but lottery sales in 22/23 were the second highest on record at about 8.2bln. The figures for 23 are trending lower but that is primarily because there haven't been many big Euromillion rollovers to help drive sales. Nevertheless, the actual money going to "good causes" (of which UK Sport is a beneficiary) has remained fairly steady. The National Lottery Distribution Fund annual report was published in July and showed that the NLDF had 1.83bln of income in 22/23 - the same as in 21/22 and 20/21.  

In January the license changes to Allwyn and I fully expect that they will make changes to how the lottery is run but given the commitments they made in order to gain the license and the comments that have been made since, I'd be surprised if there was a significant drop off in terms of lottery support for UK Sport.