website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Honestly, anything out on open waters is kinda unwatchable. Sailing, surfing, open water swimming. They obviously have legit reasons to be included as they are popular sport activities, but it's not good TV. 

If i remember, surfing is not about speed, but about judges and their marks.

On the other side, open water and sailing are about who finishes ahead, so it is easier to watch and follow.

But ok, i am not against surfing, its sport and should stay.

But B boys and B girls...

Its all about marks. Like watching Dr Dre video with judges to mark.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Time for the table tennis mixed doubles gold medal match between :HUN and :GER :cheer: 

Two Olympic quotas available here, the pairing that wins this will book their NOC a ticket to Paris 2024.

Almost certainly Germany. I am shocked at that we went this far. 

Edited by Vektor

53 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Mixing (by IOC) olympic sports with some random physical activity is just plain stupid. Breakdance simply isnt sport. Like E sport isnt sport. 

I surelly wouldnt watch stuff like that even if event would be free. I cant generalise but majority olympic fans just want to watch sports. 

WG fans surelly cant be same as OG fans.

Okay, but that is the majority of sports. I don’t think the Mesopotamians looked at a tree branch and said “I bet I could use this to vault over that bush over there.”

I enjoy most sports. The beauty of multi-sport games is the diversity of the program. I don’t particularly like field hockey or fencing, but don’t think they should be off the sports program because I don’t find them appealing when others do.

I would imagine there’s a significant crossover between WG and OG fans by the way. It was the public that was interested in things like breakdancing and sumo. Those drove tickets sales, with big tickets sports like lacrosse and ultimate frisbee drawing large crowds as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Finally we won some kind of medal in taekwondo :thumbup: This is a sport, that has seen a surge in the last couple of years, but we never managed to get through to a medal. And it's a special medal, as a 17 year old beat one of the best :GBR Bianca Walden for the bronze. 

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

OK so I tried, but after 5 minutes watching breaking, found myself having urges to gouge my eyes out and had to switch off.

It's an embarrassment that this is deemed worthy of an Olympic spot.  

I do agree that breaking doesn't deserve a spot at the Olympics (At least somewhat, considering Canada has a medal contender :p) purely due to the fact that there's no specific judging criteria, but it is entertaining to watch. I may be on my own here though. 

9 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Its Bojana Gojkovic from MNE, you misspelled it.

BTW, she is out allready.

Thanks, for the spelling correction. And along with a bunch of other boxers that I named too :lol: 

@Benolympique@dodge @Monzanator Made these predictions before the event started, and only recently remembered to post them. (Must be wondering why I mentioned a bunch of eliminated boxers, now you know why)

48 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I want to see how the new sports perform at a normal Summer Games, Tokyo was a bad testing ground for obvious, COVID related reasons. We can all hate on all these "urban" sports, but if they sell out in Paris and will have great atmosphere, they will attract more attention and give more visibility to the Games than some of the more traditional sports.  

For now I have the most doubts about Surfing as a good inclusion, which is funny because surfing is very popular as a sport activity. But it seemed very lackluster on screen and I kinda doubt that the post-pandemic Games will help it. It's also very hard to host it. 

It is the only part of the Games in Tahiti, I think a lot will go to it tbh, it's rare for Tahitians/Polynesians to see the Olympics live

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold