website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

28 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Breakdance has zero history as a sport and it won't build any in the short attention span generation IMO. Latino dances have a better claim to become an Olympic sport.

Plus like I've said before, adults simply do NOT watch children doing sports unless they are parents of kids involved. There is no way getting around that. 15 year olds being world champions in breakdancing is a story but most people watching Olympics are... surprise, surprise... adults! 

I mean…it’s the one dance discipline invited with purely competition in mind. It’s been around for decades, informally maybe, but it has a vibrant history of its own. 

It was one of the only sports to sell out completely at The World Games last year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I mean…it’s the one dance discipline invited with purely competition in mind. It’s been around for decades, informally maybe, but it has a vibrant history of its own. 

It was one of the only sports to sell out completely at The World Games last year.

Mixing (by IOC) olympic sports with some random physical activity is just plain stupid. Breakdance simply isnt sport. Like E sport isnt sport. 

I surelly wouldnt watch stuff like that even if event would be free. I cant generalise but majority olympic fans just want to watch sports. 

WG fans surelly cant be same as OG fans.

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So it should stay at World Games. If IOC thinks the future of Olympics is breakdance and e-sports then we might as well expect nordic walking too. Or maybe chess? Hell, maybe poker should be considered an Olympic sport too? :p

I want to see how the new sports perform at a normal Summer Games, Tokyo was a bad testing ground for obvious, COVID related reasons. We can all hate on all these "urban" sports, but if they sell out in Paris and will have great atmosphere, they will attract more attention and give more visibility to the Games than some of the more traditional sports.  

For now I have the most doubts about Surfing as a good inclusion, which is funny because surfing is very popular as a sport activity. But it seemed very lackluster on screen and I kinda doubt that the post-pandemic Games will help it. It's also very hard to host it. 

5 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I want to see how the new sports perform at a normal Summer Games, Tokyo was a bad testing ground for obvious, COVID related reasons. We can all hate on all these "urban" sports, but if they sell out in Paris and will have great atmosphere, they will attract more attention and give more visibility to the Games than some of the more traditional sports.  

For now I have the most doubts about Surfing as a good inclusion, which is funny because surfing is very popular as a sport activity. But it seemed very lackluster on screen and I kinda doubt that the post-pandemic Games will help it. It's also very hard to host it. 

I watched surfing in Tokyo. It was terrible. Unwatchable, actually. IMO, at least.

1 minute ago, ChandlerMne said:

I watched surfing in Tokyo. It was terrible. Unwatchable, actually. IMO, at least.

Honestly, anything out on open waters is kinda unwatchable. Sailing, surfing, open water swimming. They obviously have legit reasons to be included as they are popular sport activities, but it's not good TV.