website statistics

Olympic Videos & Pictures

dcro

Just finished watching Taking Refuge which premiered today on the Olympic Channel. The (currently) 5 part short documentary follows Niccolò Campriani as he begins a new project of attempting to train a few refugee air rifle shooters for Tokyo 2020. It’s incredibly well made, and the story is very fascinating. The pacing between the 5 episodes is really good as well. I believe they will release a few more episodes as Tokyo 2020 creeps closer once again next year. I’ve really been I impressed with the documentaries I’ve watched on the Olympic Channel. They have really perfected the art of compelling storytelling. 

I also released what an amazing person Niccolò Campriani is. I’ve as dismissed him as someone who’s a little stuck up, and a bit of a choke artist when it counts. However, this documentary gave him so much more dimension. He’s a really thoughtful, caring person with a big heart it seems. Now I’m kind of sad that he’s retired from shooting. He works so well as a coach with the refuge athletes though. I’ll be cheering for them big time if they can qualify, get a universality quota, or obtain an IOC special invitation.

Here’s link to the documentary playlist: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/original-series/detail/taking-refuge-target-tokyo-2020/

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just watched “Athlete A” on Netflix, which is about USA Gymnastics cover up of the Larry Nassar sexual abuse cover up. All I have to say is “what in the actual fuck!” The fact that USA Gymnastics knew about this and is still a NGB is so wrong. The USOPC needs do some serious soul searching here. I hope they get investigated as well. No shot they are clean in this scandal. Bring the whole system down.

8 hours ago, JohnFoyne said:

Just watched “Athlete A” on Netflix, which is about USA Gymnastics cover up of the Larry Nassar sexual abuse cover up. All I have to say is “what in the actual fuck!” The fact that USA Gymnastics knew about this and is still a NGB is so wrong. The USOPC needs do some serious soul searching here. I hope they get investigated as well. No shot they are clean in this scandal. Bring the whole system down.

Sadly a common story.  Bureaucrats require success to secure their own positions, and if someone is delivering it they don’t care how the bread is baked.  Unfortunately even if you tore the system down, the new one would be.....not much different.

Also - being politically incorrect here - teenagers are very seldom good judges of their own long-term interests.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Sadly a common story.  Bureaucrats require success to secure their own positions, and if someone is delivering it they don’t care how the bread is baked.  Unfortunately even if you tore the system down, the new one would be.....not much different.

Also - being politically incorrect here - teenagers are very seldom good judges of their own long-term interests.

Being a few months away from the end of my teenage years, you are correct.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela