website statistics

Tennis 2016 Discussion Thread

rybak

28 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

WTA Tour has become a horrible joke ...

Random fluke runs everywhere, i cant believe that girls like Bertens, Putintseva or Pironkova reached the quarterfinal. Especially Bertens beating Keys is like a nightmare. I am really happy that we still have Serena to stop those mugs from winning slams, hopefully Azarenka will soon be back to help her, i dont know whether Muguruza can do the job just now ...

Very happy for Thiem, but he has one of the easiest ways to the semifinal ever. In general RG is by far the worst slam at the moment, which is very sad, because i actually think that RG should be the most important slam.

I didn't see you complain about the random Kerber win of Australian Open. Calling Pironkova a mug while she had similar success to Kerber at Grand Slams before the AO title is just pitiful.

54 minutes ago, stefanbg said:

I didn't see you complain about the random Kerber win of Australian Open. Calling Pironkova a mug while she had similar success to Kerber at Grand Slams before the AO title is just pitiful.

Kerber has beaten Azarenka and Serena at the AO to win the title. To even mention Pironkova in the same sentence as Kerber is just a huge insult for Kerber. Pironkova is currently 102nd in world ranking, Kerber was top 10 for years before she won the AO title, its just embarrassing to compare them.

...moderated post...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

So Muguruza is the first semi-finalist. Very interesting developments in the women's field, great to see some new names reaching high levels instead of always and ever the same few names. I'm guessing Serena will keep messing everyone around for a while, but it'd be nice to see how it goes when she's gone. 

At least it's more interesting than the men with usually the same names :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Kerber has beaten Azarenka and Serena at the AO to win the title. To even mention Pironkova in the same sentence as Kerber is just a huge insult for Kerber. Pironkova is currently 102nd in world ranking, Kerber was top 10 for years before she won the AO title, its just embarrassing to compare them.

...moderated post...

I am just not washing my mouth by offending players and users on the forums. Data shows that Kerber's success in grand slams before her AO title is similar to that of Pironkova. That makes her win as random as Tsvetana reaching the QF at RG. Pironkova might not be the most consistent player on the tour but she is definitely a fighter when it comes to playing big matches. She even defeated Kerber on several occasions, once when Kerber was at her best.

...moderated post...

vor 17 Minuten schrieb stefanbg:

I am just not washing my mouth by offending players and users on the forums. Data shows that Kerber's success in grand slams before her AO title is similar to that of Pironkova. That makes her win as random as Tsvetana reaching the QF at RG. Pironkova might not be the most consistent player on the tour but she is definitely a fighter when it comes to playing big matches. She even defeated Kerber on several occasions, once when Kerber was at her best.

...moderated post...

I didnt offend anyone, you are obviously completely in your own world.

Kerber has reached 2 slam semifinals, 2 quarterfinals and 6 x the round of last 16 before winning the AO title. Her best result at the AO before that was the round of last 16 twice, in addition to that she is younger than Pironkova. Pironkova reached 1 slam semfinal, 2 quarterfinals and 2 x the round of last 16 before the start of 2016 french open. Her best result at the FO before the 2016 edition was the 3rd round. Its just WRONG to say that they had similar success concerning slams, its just embarrassing to write that data supports your point. Please stop it, i really dont want to expose your nonsense comments any further.

NOTE: I didnt insult anyone, there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to moderate this post and the same was true for my last post!

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I didnt offend anyone, you are obviously completely in your own world.

Kerber has reached 2 slam semifinals, 2 quarterfinals and 6 x the round of last 16 before winning the AO title. Her best result at the AO before that was the round of last 16 twice, in addition to that she is younger than Pironkova. Pironkova reached 1 slam semfinal, 2 quarterfinals and 2 x the round of last 16 before the start of 2016 french open. Her best result at the FO before the 2016 edition was the 3rd round. Its just WRONG to say that they had similar success concerning slams, its just embarrassing to write that data supports your point. Please stop it, i really dont want to expose your nonsense comments any further.

NOTE: I didnt insult anyone, there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to moderate this post and the same was true for my last post!

Again you express opinions. Reading data, Kerber never reached a GS final before winning AO. The most she progressed in a GS was a SF, same as Pironkova did. She hasn't consistently entered the second week of GSs like the majority of top WTA players. So it seems that her success with grand slams is similar to that of Pironkova before the AO title, not equal, but similar.

Try to read your original posts again and the adjectives you used. However, I do not know you in person to understand whether your attempt was to insult players and me as a user or to just express an opinion. If that was the case, then I apologize. The point of communication is to express your view in a respectful manner to others.

P.S. Using caps in forums is considered shouting. Shouting and usage of strong adjectives do not make your original point more valid.

Tsveti really is a fighter, I am glad with her QF performance and overall run. :yes

For the tournament it is better that Stosur won, I guess Muguruza-Stosur match would be more attractive and more uncertain. Praying for higher quality though :d

Djokovic, Berdych, Thiem and Goffin are really unlucky with scheduling :(

Djokovic should win, but wet conditions on clay definitely suit Berdych - heavy balls, slow surface and enough time for him to position himself for his deadly forehand.... Should be 3-1 for Novak unless his nervousness appears again in full force...

Thiem-Goffin... as a fan of Novak - please five exhausting sets :lol: But as a fan of tennis - some interesting match. I would like to see Thiem winning it.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb stefanbg:

Again you express opinions. Reading data, Kerber never reached a GS final before winning AO. The most she progressed in a GS was a SF, same as Pironkova did. She hasn't consistently entered the second week of GSs like the majority of top WTA players. So it seems that her success with grand slams is similar to that of Pironkova before the AO title, not equal, but similar.

Try to read your original posts again and the adjectives you used. However, I do not know you in person to understand whether your attempt was to insult players and me as a user or to just express an opinion. If that was the case, then I apologize. The point of communication is to express your view in a respectful manner to others.

P.S. Using caps in forums is considered shouting. Shouting and usage of strong adjectives do not make your original point more valid.

I dont express an opinion. You came up with the data to support your opinion and i just showed that the data clearly doesnt support your opinion. Its a fact that Kerber has had a much more successful slam career than Pironkova even before her title at the AO, no one can seriously doubt that. Would you say that Williams and Kerber have a similar record at slams because both have won a slam ... ?

I didnt insult Pironkova, i dont care at all about her or about Rogers/Putintseva. In fact i hoped that she would eliminate Stosur, because Stosur is exactly the type of player that i dont want to see. I also wouldve been happy if one of them wouldve stopped Serena from winning her 22nd slam, because i hope that Graf will remain the number 1 for ever. Maybe Muguruza can get the job done ...

My point was that nowadays pretty much everyone in the top 200 of world ranking can reach the quarterfinal or even semifinal of a slam with a random fluke run. On the one hand thats good, because most of the matches are unpredictable and often very exciting. On the other hand it isnt a sign of very high quality tennis in general, if pretty much all top 10 players (maybe except for Serena, Azarenka and Muguruza) can any time lose to any other top 100 player. I hope that players like Muguruza, Bencic, Keys or Kasatkina will become more consistent, so that we get a higher quality of tennis in general and more exciting rivalries. It would also be great if someone would finally start to challenge Serena for the world number 1.