website statistics

Weightlifting 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

It looked like some external French company was handling the election. It semmed they never organized a vote before, honestly. An amateur hour.

Right after the election, I thought the chances of weightlifting being dropped from Paris 2024 increased quite a lot.

With Urso eventually beating Quinonez by one vote in the online run-off for Secretary General, and the top 3 officials being Jaloud, Urso, and Papandrea, I think the outcome is eventually closer to what IOC probably wanted to see. I think IWF might get the final final chance.

16 minutes ago, PetrC. said:

It looked like some external French company was handling the election. It semmed they never organized a vote before, honestly. An amateur hour.

Right after the election, I thought the chances of weightlifting being dropped from Paris 2024 increased quite a lot.

With Urso eventually beating Quinonez by one vote in the online run-off for Secretary General, and the top 3 officials being Jaloud, Urso, and Papandrea, I think the outcome is eventually closer to what IOC probably wanted to see. I think IWF might get the final final chance.

I do think, if you want a conspiracy theory, that the IOC seem to spend a lot of time promoting Powerlifting recently, so if they drop the IWF from the Games, they’ve got a ready-made replacement on hand.

43 minutes ago, PetrC. said:

I didn't know IOC is OKish with Jaloud, I thought they consider him part of Ajan's team. good to know at least there is a chance for one of the oldest Olympic sports to survive.

Thanks and good to see you back :yes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the end we are competing at the European Junior and Under-23 Championships despite this:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1127661/dimas-weightlifting-dope

No surprise that Albania still hates Dimas, their government discriminated against the Greek minority for decades and deny their existence and then get angry when they choose to win medals for Greece instead of Albania...

• 2 weeks later...

After years of hard work, the great nation of Bahrain finally managed to win its first ever major medal in weightlifting

proud Bahrainian Lesman Paredes won gold at the Asian Championship in Manama. another proud Bahrainian Gor Minasyan is expected to win the 2nd gold tomorrow.

Bahrain.jpeg

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

After years of hard work, the great nation of Bahrain finally managed to win its first ever major medal in weightlifting

proud Bahrainian Lesman Paredes won gold at the Asian Championship in Manama. another proud Bahrainian Gor Minasyan is expected to win the 2nd gold tomorrow.

Bahrain.jpeg

I wonder if any of these Bahrainians ever visited Bahrain before this championships.