website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme Road to LA 2028

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is what I see as one of the biggest challenges for the sustainability of multi-sport games, especially the Commonwealth Games. Federations/organizers need to be more willing to compromise on capacity at venues. The cost of “modernizations” should also be kept within reason. 

For 2022, the CGF was willing to listen to cities. The IOC/UCI also approved a smaller capacity velodrome for 2020

I can understand if Boxing or Weightlifting would be cut. Even MP I can understand why they would, but if they do, it's the end for MP as a whole. Cutting them for team sports doesn't seem too great for me. Cricket would really just be for the Indian market. Baseball has been tried over and over and it is... well... not great for the games.

I'd rather try Cricket over having Baseball though. Don't see them cutting Rugby Sevens btw, that seems highly unlikely to me. Even here I feel like there are quite some people who follow the Sevens tourney above everything else. If they need to cut a team sport, it would be Field Hockey, but the western European countries dominating that (GB, Germany) sure won't like that.

I feel for cutting sports there must be a pretty clear reason.

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

You're definitely my favourite Slovak ever buddy, but you misspelled 'ice' and wrote it as 'field' again!

12 hours ago, intoronto said:

Imagine thinking field hockey is entertaining and ice isn't :wall:

11 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Imagine thinking either is entertaining :p

to me, they are both entertaining...in different ways, but still...

5 minutes ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I can understand if Boxing or Weightlifting would be cut. Even MP I can understand why they would, but if they do, it's the end for MP as a whole. Cutting them for team sports doesn't seem too great for me. Cricket would really just be for the Indian market. Baseball has been tried over and over and it is... well... not great for the games.

I'd rather try Cricket over having Baseball though. Don't see them cutting Rugby Sevens btw, that seems highly unlikely to me. Even here I feel like there are quite some people who follow the Sevens tourney above everything else. If they need to cut a team sport, it would be Field Hockey, but the western European countries dominating that (GB, Germany) sure won't like that.

I feel for cutting sports there must be a pretty clear reason.

Indeed. People have forgoten that, but when Wrestling was cut, the second sport following whith the most votes to be excluded was Field Hockey.

There must be a good objective reason to cut a sport. Not being popular enough won't cut it as a reason. Weightlifting, boxing, Greco-Roman wrestling and modern pentathlon all have "good reasons" to be dropped, sadly. Weightlifting and boxing for their tarnished international federations, GR wrestling for the lack of female events and modern pentathlon for the show jumping debacle. Why would be field hockey cut? I don't see it. 

Edited by Vektor

8 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

Going to chime in on this conversation.

I don’t want cricket or baseball at LA28.

As much as I like the sports, they just don’t work quite right as Olympic sports. Cricket would only be able to bring 5 competitive teams with West Indies having to break up and USA being far behind and there should, at the very least, be 8 competing and a squad from every continent.

As for baseball, my favorite sport, the only countries that would care are Cuba and Australia. USA, Japan, Korea and the Latin American/Caribbean nations would be sending second and even third-tier teams during the regular season of pro leagues.

Instead, the sports I would want to see included are softball, compound archery and beach soccer (to replace football). Of course lacrosse as well, but that would need other sports cut to fit in the total quota.

well, tbh Japan I'm sure would stop the NPB for 15 days should Baseball return to the Games

and Korea does stop the KBO even for the Asian Games (at least they do it for the Home Games, not sure they do it this year)...in any case, I'm more than certain that they would stop the league for the Olympics

the only problem is the MLBPA and the MLB team owners (Commish Manfred would agree to stop the league for 10/12 days, I know that for sure because it's been discussed many times with Riccardo Fraccari, former Italian and now WBSC President).

p.s. men's Softball no, please...it's unwatchable 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

There must be a good objective reason to cut a sport. Not being popular enough won't cut it as a reason. Weightlifting, boxing, Greco-Roman wrestling and modern pentathlon all have "good reasons" to be dropped, sadly. Weightlifting and boxing for their tarnished international federations and their scandals, GR wrestling for the lack of female events and modern pentathlon for the show jumping debacle. Why would be field hockey cut? I don't see it. 

I agree on that one. There are clear reasons to cut Boxing, Weightlifting, (GR) Wrestling, Rhythmic, MP as well as Equestrian. For Field Hockey the only reason would be that it is less popular than other team sports, except for a small part of the world. Which would be a pretty poor reason.

However, they will not go to cutting Boxing nor Equestrian unless they absolutely need to. The other four are in bigger danger and could be spots where they need to make room for quota.

I feel that adding a team sport, which eats quota like no tomorrow, should not be counteracted by removing individual sports quota, however.

10 minutes ago, Vektor said:

There must be a good objective reason to cut a sport. Not being popular enough won't cut it as a reason. Weightlifting, boxing, Greco-Roman wrestling and modern pentathlon all have "good reasons" to be dropped, sadly. Weightlifting and boxing for their tarnished international federations, GR wrestling for the lack of female events and modern pentathlon for the show jumping debacle. Why would be field hockey cut? I don't see it. 

well, you need a dedicated big sized stadium (expensive, even if it normally have small stands) and it's always about the same 12 Nations qualifying in both men and women's tournaments (and not all of them are truly competitive at the highest level)

in terms of competitivity it's more or less like Waterpolo...too little interest outside the usual 4/5 places

p.s. I like FH and WP and I don't want them to be thrown out of the Olympic schedule, but I understand if someone shuold make it a case 

international federations should try and find the way to develop those sports in a lot more places

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, you need a dedicated big sized stadium (expensive, even if it normally have small stands) and it's always about the same 12 Nations qualifying in both men and women's tournaments (and not all of them are truly competitive at the highest level)

in terms of competitivity it's more or less like Waterpolo...too little interest outside the usual 4/5 places

p.s. I like FH and WP and I don't want them to be thrown out of the Olympic schedule, but I understand if someone shuold make it a case 

international federations should try and find the way to develop those sports in a lot more places

WP is safe because it's part of FINA. If it had it's own federation (like some WP enthousiasts wish for), it would be the one to go.