website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

38 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

From the way the press release is worded, it doesn't seem like CAS has made that ruling.  Don't know what this means, but it sounds like the ISU now gets to make the decision.  So they could either nullify just Valieva's results and that would theoretically give ROC the bronze.  Or they could disqualify the whole federation and then Canada would presumably get upgraded.

GFBFDPnXEAAPW63?format=jpg&name=medium

I mean, this is such an outlier case, Russia is so innocent when it comes to doping there's no way anyone could know, or even join in the doping on the team.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Will Canada get a medal then?

If it's up to the IOC, there probably won't be anymore news until their EB Meeting in March (at least, that's the theory I've read).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Interestingly, CAS cited Russian Anti-Doping Rules, which don't provide any additional protection from consequences for "protected persons," as much of the basis for their ruling. :evil:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

From the way the press release is worded, it doesn't seem like CAS has made that ruling.  Don't know what this means, but it sounds like the ISU now gets to make the decision.  So they could either nullify just Valieva's results and that would theoretically give ROC the bronze.  Or they could disqualify the whole federation and then Canada would presumably get upgraded.

GFBFDPnXEAAPW63?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, what CAS are saying is that it's not their decision to make.  The IOC decides who gets their medals.  But I can't imagine that the IOC are going to do anything crazy on this.  Well, on second thoughts.....:whistle:

Second thoughts - Actually, of course, the ISU are the people who decide, not the IOC.  The IOC are only the hosts, the ISU govern the sport.

Edited by Grassmarket

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If it's up to the IOC, there probably won't be anymore news until their EB Meeting in March (at least, that's the theory I've read).

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Yeah, what CAS are saying is that it's not their decision to make.  The IOC decides who gets their medals.  But I can't imagine that the IOC are going to do anything crazy on this.  Well, on second thoughts.....:whistle:

Second thoughts - Actually, of course, the ISU are the people who decide, not the IOC.  The IOC are only the hosts, the ISU govern the sport.

The ISU, and only the ISU, determines the results of the competition.  The IOC will then act accordingly to make sure the correct athletes get their medals.  The good thing is that this isn't a re-allocation since the medals were never awarded in the first place.

My hope would be that they work together to make this happen in Montreal in March.  But I don't have that much faith in either side to do this properly and with the respect these athletes deserve after they were robbed of justice in Beijing.

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The ISU, and only the ISU, determines the results of the competition.  The IOC will then act accordingly to make sure the correct athletes get their medals.  The good thing is that this isn't a re-allocation since the medals were never awarded in the first place.

My hope would be that they work together to make this happen in Montreal in March.  But I don't have that much faith in either side to do this properly and with the respect these athletes deserve after they were robbed of justice in Beijing.

The ISU will meet to decide the final results on 7th February then the IOC will rule on the medals at a later date

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Would only be fair if it could be done in Paris.....

13 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Would only be fair if it could be done in Paris.....

I'm absolutely in favor of doing the official ceremony during the opening ceremony.

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I'm absolutely in favor of doing the official ceremony during the opening ceremony.

That would completely be my choice.  But would Thomas Bacholympicchampionfencing1976 wish to admit he was wrong?  I doubt it. So probably some evening ceremony mid-Games.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

That would completely be my choice.  But would Thomas Bacholympicchampionfencing1976 wish to admit he was wrong?  I doubt it. So probably some evening ceremony mid-Games.

It’s actually in the rules that athletes who get a relocated medal can request a medal ceremony at the next Olympics. So yes.