website statistics

Alpine Skiing at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's debatable whether this event deserves a place at the Olympics. IMO, it definitely does not deserve to be scheduled for the final, primetime weekend. That one must belong to slalom.

Really? They we wouldn’t have seen the Slalom here at these Olympics and that would be really bad.

2 minutes ago, JonPhi said:

Really? They we wouldn’t have seen the Slalom here at these Olympics and that would be really bad.

I meant in general, the scheduling.

Team event getting scheduled as the final event both here and in Pyeongchang is too anticlimactic.

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

I meant in general, the scheduling.

Team event getting scheduled as the final event both here and in Pyeongchang is too anticlimactic.

Interesting argument.  Some think the team figure skating team event should also be done last.  But it's surely done first becaus USA/NBC TV needs some figure skating to fill up the first two nights of broadcasts before the Opening Ceremony.

I think having the least prestigious event last makes a lot of sense for this sport because... well, you saw what happened today and what might happen tomorrow. We either have the team event scheduled for the last weekend, or we shouldn't have any alpine skiing for the last two days. It's too dangerous, you always need a couple of days for a potential delay because the Games has to end on Day 16, no matter what. 

27 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I think having the least prestigious event last makes a lot of sense for this sport because... well, you saw what happened today and what might happen tomorrow. We either have the team event scheduled for the last weekend, or we shouldn't have any alpine skiing for the last two days. It's too dangerous, you always need a couple of days for a potential delay because the Games has to end on Day 16, no matter what. 

But then again, slalom has often offered plenty of drama on the final weekend. Sometimes the final day itself. It never got cancelled. Weather fears should not be taken into account years in advance.

Meanwhile, since the women's tech events got held last week, several of the top skiers did not even bother to stay in Beijing to ski for their teams (Hector, Vlhova, Dubovska). It's a joke. Unworthy of the Olympic program when even the athletes are not bothering.

#banbestmen