website statistics

Short Track Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, obviously. I believe this (Final B winner getting a medal) happened once with one of the relays few years ago but can't be sure.

:NED won bronze in W Relay in PyeongChang 2018 this way If my memory is correct, it was also with a OR or WR in the B final I think

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, obviously. I believe this (Final B winner getting a medal) happened once with one of the relays few years ago but can't be sure.

Netherlands got bronze in womens relay in 2018 by finishing 1st in the B final because Canada and Korea were DQed in A final.  

This might explain some of the "interesting" decisions here in Beijing, since a Chinese official said after that DQ that Korea would pay in 2022.  

Also, Netherlands got a WR in the B final, creating an even more crazy situation where the WR got bronze.  

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

If all Chinese 4 opponents in the A final will be DSQ and you win the B Final you will automatically have silver, right ?

Yeah. That's why we messed up the semi-final, we knew that this is the only way to win the medal. The Koreans and Canadians didn't realize that qualifying for Final A was a mistake. 

59 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

WOW ! it must be some crazy celebrations now in Netherlands and Belgium @heywoodu Congrats 

I think a majority of people were simply working and either heard it on the radio thinking 'oh nice' or will see it tonight on the news :p

But of course I'm free from work :d Cool to see two medals for the team at once (Desmet trains with the Dutch team, which is why she too had a panther-skin heart on her helmet in honour of the late Lara van Ruijven)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, orangeman said:

Well, at least no penalty to Canada.  That's all I was hoping for.  China could have taken out a gun, shot the other competitors and blew up the venue, and still made the final.  

Like the Canadian commentator just said, "The referee has an opportunity to do this................."

Chinese commentators spoke about one rule for relays .... It says if you amongst first 2 nations and you have an accidental/innocent fall , according to the rules you should be advanced to the next round. But if you are 3rd or 4th at the time of the fall - not ...... I am not an expert in short track, but ...... 😅😅😅😅😅