website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

3 hours ago, dodge said:

Hi, idiot here, cross country running and cyclo cross should ABSOLUTELY be in the winter games but the same 20 odd countries are afraid of opening up their games to outsiders 

They have their rule about games being needed to be played on snow and ice but IMO that’s a far more ridiculous idea than allowing cross country running in. 

Everything is open to everyone. There are no "insiders" and "outsiders". If people from Ireland, for example, don't want to partake in ski-jumping and luge, that is their problem. Why should the countries, that do compete in these sports be blamed, that others don't. 

Also, there are 25 out of 35 sports at the SOG, that could be played anytime in the year. By this logic there shouldn't be any "summer" or "winter" OG. You should just call it the February Olympic Games and the July Olympic Games, or Part 1 and Part 2, if they are not going to be distinguished.

It will never cease to a amaze me, how much it bothers people from particular regions, that Winter Olympics exist. If they were called the Winter Sports Games, probably no one will bath an eye, but because it has the word "Olympics", it tears their soul, that there are OG for sports they don't watch, care, like or participate in, even though it's their own fault.  

But the sad truth is that in 20 years (or sooner, because glimpses are starting to appear) they would transfer 10 indoor sports, because the Winter Games need to be more "marketable and inclusive" and not because the never ending pure greed for money. 

30 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I think this came up before, but for me, any sport should only be in the winter olympics if it doesn’t have summer alternative with the same skillset. Realistically you don’t want any athletes doubling up between winter and summer.

Cross-sport participation exists. We have athletic athletes participating in bobsled and cyclists participating in speed skating

It’s not about Ireland. We’re as likely to win at cross country running as we are skeleton

But you can’t say “it never ceases to amaze me how much it bothers people” when the thought of cross country running in the Olympics has clearly made you angry. Ha

FWIW, it doesn’t bother me if it’s included or not. I find the gatekeeping around it hysterical though 

Edited by dodge

12 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Cross-sport participation exists. We have athletic athletes participating in bobsled and cyclists participating in speed skating

Yes, but not at the same extent at which would happen if Cross Country was added. Training between bobsled and athletics and running and cross country is very different

4 hours ago, dodge said:

Hi, idiot here, cross country running and cyclo cross should ABSOLUTELY be in the winter games but the same 20 odd countries are afraid of opening up their games to outsiders 

They have their rule about games being needed to be played on snow and ice but IMO that’s a far more ridiculous idea than allowing cross country running in. 

One of those 20 countries here: we'd love the theoretically free cyclo-cross medals, as long as an NOC can send 6-7 athletes per team, so we can send the entire world's top-6 :p 

That's us for the women, Belgium says the same for the men I think. Massively in favour!

Also, korfball please.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Agreed. Winter sports can include sports played at winter like cross country and cyclocross

And ice hockey could be part of the Summer Olympics, considering that seems to never end during the year :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

45 minutes ago, dodge said:

It’s not about Ireland. We’re as likely to win at cross country running as we are skeleton

But you can’t say “it never ceases to amaze me how much it bothers people” when the thought of cross country running in the Olympics has clearly made you angry. Ha

FWIW, it doesn’t bother me if it’s included or not. I find the gatekeeping around it hysterical though 

Yes it bothers me, because it violates the fundamental principals of what is classified as a Winter sport and thus eligible to be included in a Winter Olympics. The same way "snow and ice" is ludicrous for you...

If they wanted to include cc running at the Summer Games, where it belongs, then there would be no discussion. Because we all know, that Coe, IAAF just want another piece of the pie and a place at the table at the WOG for their own personal benefits. It makes no difference if your event is being held in December, January or February, when you can have it without an ounce on snow and in the bright sunny day with 25+ degrees. That is not a winter event. 

And yes, i too detest ice hockey, curling being played in late May, June, August, even September. Real winter sports season should be from October to early-mid May. 

43 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yes it bothers me, because it violates the fundamental principals of what is classified as a Winter sport and thus eligible to be included in a Winter Olympics. The same way "snow and ice" is ludicrous for you...

If they wanted to include cc running at the Summer Games, where it belongs, then there would be no discussion. Because we all know, that Coe, IAAF just want another piece of the pie and a place at the table at the WOG for their own personal benefits. It makes no difference if your event is being held in December, January or February, when you can have it without an ounce on snow and in the bright sunny day with 25+ degrees. That is not a winter event. 

And yes, i too detest ice hockey, curling being played in late May, June, August, even September. Real winter sports season should be from October to early-mid May. 

This is my point about gatekeeping. The vast, vast, vast majority of the world doesn’t have ice or snow for winter. So while you think it’s a “fundamental principle”, it was only applicable to the 16 countries at the first games and their neighbours. 

So instead of opening up new sports to get them included in the games, you and others want to keep them out. 

That’s fine. That’s your choice. I’d prefer if others were included. And again, I don’t feel strongly on it (as in I’m not going to fall out with anybody over it) but I’d include cross country running and cyclo cross. 

19 minutes ago, dodge said:

This is my point about gatekeeping. The vast, vast, vast majority of the world doesn’t have ice or snow for winter. So while you think it’s a “fundamental principle”, it was only applicable to the 16 countries at the first games and their neighbours. 

So instead of opening up new sports to get them included in the games, you and others want to keep them out. 

That’s fine. That’s your choice. I’d prefer if others were included. And again, I don’t feel strongly on it (as in I’m not going to fall out with anybody over it) but I’d include cross country running and cyclo cross. 

But if you add one, where does it end. In 50 years we will just have a 'summer' olympics every 2 years.

Although, by then, there probably won't even be any snow left and they'll have no choice.