website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

53 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Probably making it stricter again will lead to no interest in hosting at all anymore, like there already is so very little of.

I think more flexibility around the venues is, by far, the best reform Bach and friends have instituted.

I have a lot of qualms about how Brisbane got the 2032 games, but I do think their regional model is absolutely the future of the Olympics.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Imo the IOC will announce a set of rotating hosts for the Winter Olympics soon-ish

Which is a bit of a shame, because if countries and cities were willing, we should easily be good for another few decades. Say, 2 cities or regions in USA, 2 in Canada, 2 or 3 in Scandinavia, something in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, 1 or 2 in Asia and we're already closing in on 2070-2080. Too bad we'll never be able to add Oceania or South America to the list.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Apparently, World Athletics is pushing (again) for Cross Country to be included at the Winter Olympics

(in french)

https://stadion-actu.fr/le-cross-country-aux-jeux-olympiques-dhiver-en-2030/

One of those things that make me think "I don't see why it'd be needed, but if it's there, I'd definitely enjoy it" :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

29 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Apparently, World Athletics is pushing (again) for Cross Country to be included at the Winter Olympics

(in french)

https://stadion-actu.fr/le-cross-country-aux-jeux-olympiques-dhiver-en-2030/

Summer Olympics, hell yeah I’m all for it! :d

Winter Olympics, absolutely not. :facepalm::hairpull::bones:

Cross-country running events are held in the winter, but that doesn’t make it a winter sport, sorry. There is one caveat though if it were to, let’s say get added to to the Olympic program hypothetically, because it would weaken the strength of distance fields drastically due to scheduling. 

Edit: None of this is directed at you, just the idiots (like Coe) that think this (putting a summer sport in the winter Olympics, not cross country running at the Olympics) is a good idea…

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

One of those things that make me think "I don't see why it'd be needed, but if it's there, I'd definitely enjoy it" :p 

My fear is that every sports/disciplines not on the program will see it as a way in, and we end up with the World Games + Ski&Ice

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Summer Olympics, hell yeah I’m all for it! :d

Winter Olympics, absolutely not. :facepalm::hairpull::bones:

Cross-country running events are held in the winter, but that doesn’t make it a winter sport, sorry. There is one caveat though if it were to, let’s say get added to to the Olympic program hypothetically, because it would weaken the strength of distance fields drastically due to scheduling. 

Edit: None of this is directed at you, just the idiots (like Coe) that think this (putting a summer sport in the winter Olympics, not cross country running at the Olympics) is a good idea…

To be fair, cross-country running also isn't a summer sport. Like cyclo-cross, it's basically a season-independent sport, almost by definition it can be done in any and all conditions.

I don't think I'd go for it in the end, like @De_Gambassi said, it'd open up the way for lots and lots more and not sure that'd be a great idea.

I feel like I'm going crazy when I read these stories. Isn't it obvious and common sense that the point of the winter games is for things on snow and ice, looking at what is already on the programme and has been throughout history? It might be done in winter similarly to how we sometimes here describe rugby as a 'winter sport' but that's a whole different meaning to the phrase winter sport than the one we use for the Winter Olympics. I don't even think it needs explaining it's that obvious.

It's all about a new part of the world to have a shot at something.