website statistics
11 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

With the field now set, the head to heads for competing nations across 23/24 is:

image.png

The men seem to have had a significantly higher number of games compared to the women and most of the nations seem reasonably well matched. 

Hopefully Ireland will have opportunity to arrange a couple of test matches against the higher ranked nations because outside of this week's Olympic Qualifiers, they haven't competed against any top competition since the start of 2023.

Ireland is in the Pro League so will have matches against the top nations which should help with Olympic preparation. What an achievement for this team to make it to the Olympics, they’ve had to completely rebuild in recent years and it all came good at the right time :) 

Thanks for the info, and hopefully the home advantage will get us over the line.

China beat us on penalties 4 years ago to go to the Olympics. Would be funny if they were drawn against each other again.

I think Belgium would beat Ireland and the USA used to always beat us until recently when we turned the tables. Not sure I’d want them as the opposition either even if they are probably weaker now.

Edited by OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Ireland and Korea have qualified from tournament 1 to olympic play-offs (as expected).

Tournament 2 started today in Hiroshima. Japan and India are favorites but Chile is really close to their level and could sneak in that top 2. Remember Japan making top 2 won't automatically qualify the 3rd place here, the quota will go to World ranking.

Do you have any idea of the sort of quality of opponent Ireland might have in the play-off? I wouldn't be overly optimistic of our chances, well I would be cautious maybe is a better way of saying it.

6-0, and a really tough lesson from the Dutch girls. Still super proud of our team, a team of amateurs who apart from a couple of players, all have full-time jobs outside of the sport. And they had to make huge sacrifices and pay their own way in order to compete.

A silver medal is a fantastic achievement :)

Juste maintenant , heywoodu a déclaré:

It made a lot of Dutch people, including me, hate Jos Verstappen: he was sort of a national hero due to his F1 podium many years before (as only Dutchman ever) and in the A1 he would finally race in Zandvoort. Around 110.000 people got tickets (considering Zandvoort is full to the limits when there's 90.000 people that's quite a lot)....and then the week before the event he was like "nah the team manager didn't pay my salary, I'm not driving" :lol: Luckily his replacement (Jeroen Bleekemolen) had one of the best races of his career and more than made up for Verstappen's "fuck you" in terms of excitement.

Anyhow, this is getting a little off topic :d 

I remember that the Irish and Dutch mechanical teams used to co-operate with each other (not on the track :d)

il y a 2 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

This says you get 2.28 times your stakes if the Netherlands win while taking the 'handicap' in account. This is usually a half number of goals, so in the case of a Dutch win with one or two goals difference (or of course an Irish win), Ireland +2.5 wins, whereas with a Dutch win by three or more goals, the Netherlands -2.5 wins :p 

Basically in this specific case the bookmakers are saying Ireland is more likely than not for Ireland to keep the difference in check (no more than three goals), but a two goal win for the Dutch team seems the most likely outcome.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. 

Awaiting a 10-0 drubbing now :d

Juste maintenant , heywoodu a déclaré:

A1GP :wub: Too bad Ireland won that right in the year when there were fewer and fewer teams and several rounds were cancelled due to a lack of interest, but still :d 

Although I wouldn't count that as a true team sport, just like snooker and golf :d 

Yeah but all the best teams still competed, right? Or in other words, shut up :p

Women's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2018
Posted (edited)
Il y a 1 heure , De_Gambassi a déclaré:

542796-tlsnewslandscape.jpg.abd8bfb4d3ee92da67706ff7c0fb9c24.jpg

:p

Well in that case we won the Snooker World Cup 3 times in a row and also the Golf World Cup twice. A1GP World Cup of Motorsport too (I guess it's a team sport since there was a background team and not just the driver involved :p).

But you get the idea, first final in a major / Olympic team sport :d

Edited by OlympicIRL

Women's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2018
Posted (edited)
il y a 3 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

Well I'm rooting for them to go all the way now and write some more history :d 

The chance is probably at 1% but then again, before the tournament, the chance of us making the World Cup final probably stood at something like 0.1% so our chances have improved considerably :old:

Edited by OlympicIRL