website statistics
3 hours ago, Dragon said:

I wonder what would happen if the IOC allow Russia and Belarus to compete and then, for instance, the next day Russian missiles wipe out a hospital or orphanage in Ukraine. The IOC would have a lot to lose in that situation. Are they brave/foolish enough to risk that?

Well, they never gave a shit when stuff gets blown up in some middle east country so it would be consistent.

Argentina football 2004:   

6-0-0 record. 17 goals for, 0 against.   

Not saying they are the best ever because the modern olympic football tournaments are objectively lower quality than the pre-1992 ones but wanted to give a shout to this impecable record. 

The champion will be one of Argentina, Brazil or Portugal.   

France has the talent to win it again of course but I'm very skeptical about betting anything on defending champions in this competition, so I don't think they will win.  

I don't see any other team winning. 

Since I think this is one of the very few chances we have to make an "imaginary podium", I'm full team Pareto here :cheer: despite the japanese is objectively the best in the category. 

Unlike several on the list Paula was also world champion and has an additional olympic bronze medal.

Italy will finally win the gold. The young generation lead by Michieletto will do it.

-Russia will not play. 

-France will not win two in a row.  

-Brazil is still competitive but in decline.  

-Poland... not betting on them at OG anymore. 

-USA I feel doesn't have good enough youth talent. 

-Argentina, Iran, Slovenia, Serbia don't have enough depth. 

Although Netherlands is the greatest team in women's hockey olympic history I voted Australia because I can't stand to see them with the same votes as Zimbabwe's flukey gold medal win. :p they are clear for 2nd place, extremely dominant in Atlanta and Sydney.

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I voted Paavo Nurmi but polls for "mark" sports are difficult to measure because many people will simply vote for the current WR holders. And there are perfectly good arguments to just do that.

How to decide...

To elaborate: with other sports, like team sports for ex, I feel there is an aesthetic element that plays prominently at the moment of valuating old time athletes and teams. Not sure if this can be applied to mark sports (can someone run 1500m more "beautifully"?).

For example, if we did a football world cup poll Brazil 1970 would probably rank pretty high because it's concensus that they played the most beautiful football despite the fact that they would get battered by France 2018 if they were to play.

I voted Paavo Nurmi but polls for "mark" sports are difficult to measure because many people will simply vote for the current WR holders. And there are perfectly good arguments to just do that.

How to decide...

1-Football (just not the men's olympic tournament).  

2-Volleyball (I came to this forum from a volleyball forum, so not much to explain, i'm an ultra fanatic of this since I was a kid).  

3-Handball (I used to play it).

4-Field Hockey (didn't care much about it but started following seriously 6/7 years ago and now I watch many matches).  

5-Fencing (my favorite combat sport, I just love how it looks). 

Close: Basketball, Judo, Archery, Rugby 7s (I'd much rather watch XVs though).

Bottom 5: Wrestling, table tennis, road cycling, diving, Sailing (wouldn't even care if it weren't because ARG is good at it). 

[POLL] How was your 2018 speaking about Sports only?
Posted (edited)

I lived two magical weeks at the youth olympics. An opportunity to live olympics in my country that probably won't repeat in my lifetime.

Other than that I found the sports year boring in general. I don't care much about the winter olympics (also didn't help that our tv didn't broadcast it for the first time in two decades) and Argentina performed TERRIBLE in all my favorite summer sports.

So, I'll make an average and say "satisfactory" ;)

Edited by LDOG

The poll really needs two separate questions...

As argentine sport fan not much happened this year to be honest, so i don't know.

As for sport in general not many events of my interest were held this year... I enjoyed the aquatics wch and fencing wch but that's about it. The handball wchs were a disaster for both our teams so it made me lost interest early in them despite I like Handball.

So in sum a meh year for me, I guess I will vote "satisfactory".

hace 2 horas, Mkbw50 said:

That companies make games - companies make tennis rackets, football boots, golf clubs... not the end of the world

Yes, but adidas doesn't own football, Wilson doesn't own tennis, etc. These sports are "owned" by an international federation which has "subsidiaries" (national federations) in each country. And every one of them has a say in how the international federation and the game in general must be run. In a video game company only a handful of people make all the decisions. I see there is a video game international federation, but I don't know how much power it can have in practice... at the end each videogame is essentially a totally different "sport" and each company can do whatever it wants with it's product. The situation is not the same as in conventional sports because, for example, there is no "adidas football" or "nike football", there is one association football game and there are companies that just provide the products to play it.

Edited by LDOG