website statistics
1 hour ago, dodge said:

Yes 38 have the standard and 60 is the limit so likely 22 from the rankings 

Oh and this is why I caution anyone on handing on quotas... :IRL Alex Wright (for example) has the 20km time and is in the ranks for the 50km. WIth both events happening within 24 hours of each other in Tokyo, he'll likely choose the 20km, freeing up a spot at 50km.  I'd assume this is the case for multiple walkers, and multiple nations for both events

If a country has more than one athlete meeting the ranking requirement but they do not have the qualification time can both/all three be selected by the respective NOC if they so wish or are they limited to one?

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Lol @ the improvement of the British women in the 400 m hurdles. Turner improved her PB by 1 second at 25, Nielsen improved her PB by almost 1.5 seconds at 25 and Knight improved by 0.5 seconds at 26. Not fishy at all to have three different athletes in the same discipline all destroying their PB in the same year.

Not really since they are all 400m runners who have turned to 400m hurdles. Fairly rapid improvements are not unexpected in such circumstances.

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
10 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) I know that it was an EJR for Burgin

2) Did you even read the comment I replied to?

Yes I did, which is why I was trying to point out that your question was irrelevant given that it was based on false information.

Athletics WA Indoor Tour 2021
Posted
On 25/01/2021 at 10:10, dcro said:

Having separate WRs for indoor and outdoor shot put is quite ridiculous to be honest. :p

Why? Presumably things like wind and rain potentially impact on the shot outdoors so throws made indoors and outdoors cannot legitimately be compared.

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
3 minutes ago, rybak said:

Do you have an entry list for that race? I couldn't find it anywhere. During this event runners can qualify to Olympics?

The qualification period doesn't recommence until 1st December, so the answer to your last question is no. Next year's London marathon will count towards qualification though.

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted
3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

More live athletics tomorrow on YouTube - the Kamila Skolimowska Memorial from Chorzów.

Or closer to home for you Grassmarket you can watch the British Athletics Championship on the BBC today and tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

I started to add the quotas in athletics, on the other hand I wonder if it would not be better that I add finally that the official quotas named by each country?

Given the extension to the qualifying period the athletic authorities in each country that have already nominated athletes are going to have to reconsider those decisions. There is no certainty that they will necessarily still go to Tokyo. I know in the UK each of the sports that had already selected athletes for 2021 have gone through the process of deciding whether their nominations still stand. In most of those sports qualifying had almost closed whereas there is clearly a long way to go in terms of qualification for athletics. With this in mind I think using quotas rather than "nominated" athletes makes more sense at this point.

2 hours ago, Johne said:

I think the term “nominated athletes” on that Wikipedia page is a bit misleading. Very few countries have nominated any athletes for Tokyo yet. My site here shows those that have been nominated (highlighted yellow) https://bluecattechnical.shinyapps.io/RoadtoTokyo Along with the number of qualified athletes by event and nation at the bottom of the “Required Score...” tab

You're correct it is misleading. They are the athletes who have qualifying marks unless there are more than three. However, in fairness to the editors of the wiki page they are preparing for the point when countries do start nominating athletes in each of the events. It is useful though, in that it does give an indication of the likely number of quotas a country may win on an ongoing basis and is relevant to the question which Benolympique raised. 

14 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I thought this weekend to add quotas for marathon and walk, but I want your opinion!

It's not an unreasonable thing to do. Subject to injury I imagine most countries are going to send their athletes to Tokyo if they have achieved the qualifying marks. Of course, you may have to add more marathon runners and race walkers when qualifying resumes at the end of the year.

Qualification for the marathon and 50k walk resumes on 1/12/20 and ends on 31/5/21. For the 20k walk it starts on the same date and ends on 29/6/21.

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

do you know the list of qualified "official" including marathon and / or walk for each country? because I would like to enjoy them in the team sizes section! thank you

I'm not sure how reliable this is but I think it is pretty accurate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

I you click on the individual sections it lists the numbers qualified for each individual event for each country to date. It lists the athletes with qualifying performances unless a country has more than three athletes with such performances in which case it is marked [a].

9 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I remember seeing some old IAAF rules with those age restriction so i assumed that there will be the similar situation here. 

Thanks for the clarifications.

Another question is why 11 year old table tennis player can compete but 15 years old javelin thrower cant. 

Another factor maybe the potential physical damage to a 15 year old throwing an adult javelin. Javelin throwers often seem to carry injuries of varying degree. 

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted
10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Jimmy Gressier won the U23 race and of course can't cross the finish line in a normal way :p He very much likes himself, it seems :d 

When people do stuff like that I always think back to Mekhissi-Benabbad's disqualification from the 3k steeplechase at the 2014 European Championships after taking his shirt off to celebrate winning before he crossed the line. Athletes work incredibly hard to achieve success and then inexplicably some choose to put it at risk because of their egos. 

Posted

Five of the six individual winners were retaining titles they won last year which is pretty unusual. I do wonder whether we need an U23 age group race. It spreads the talent pretty thinly between that race and the senior race, particularly in the women's events where the fields were a bit sparse. Surely U20 and senior races are sufficient together with the mixed relay.

Posted
On 03/12/2019 at 18:08, heywoodu said:

On the other hand, walking possibly the last ever Olympic 50k at age 50, that's something.

Race walkers are a durable bunch. Don Thompson the 1960 Olympic champion in the 50 km walk wore his country's vest for the last time at the age of 58 in 1991.