website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

MEN'S

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wrf9LxXd6EY3utGNbnTjfx9cXP8PrU56wldX6EgA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preliminary Round

DAY 12

Group A
Central European Summer Time (GMT +2)
Russia RUS.gif 3 - 5 USA.gif United States
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 2-3, 0-2
May 16th 2016, h. 16:15, LANXESS Arena, Cologne

Anders Lee goal the difference

No secrets today as USA win Group

ARX19805_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Today’s next to last Preliminary Round contest in Cologne had the look and feel of a World Championship medal game as Team USA defeats Russia 5-3.

The Americans didn’t hold back as they started the game taking the attack to the Russians, knowing they would have to win in regulation to win Group A. Perhaps for the first time in the tournament Russia was facing a team that could skate with them and match their creativity.

"It's a big win, it's pretty special to win and to come top of the pool," Johnny Gaudreau said. "It's one of the goals we set at the start of the tournament and play well in the medal rounds. It's a great win, I think we grew as a team today. It was a great effort."

To start the game, Nick Bjugstad stole an errant pass by Vadim Shipachyov in the offensive zone and hit the post before the puck went out of play at 1:10. Further American pressure was applied throughout as they would outshoot Russia 16-3 in the period.

Russians were uncharacteristically undisciplined in the first period taking five minors.

Artyom Zub was called for high sticking Brock Nelson and that got the American power play going. There was good puck movement and big Anders Lee was camped out in front of the net to provide a screen and generate chances down low. On a few occasions, he got to rebounds or accepted passes in the crease and tried to jam pucks home but goaltender Andrei Vasilevski was up to the task.

Team USA enjoyed more of the same opportunities when Nikita Kucherov was called for slashing. Lee would get a few more chances there but, again, unable to convert. It was vintage Lee, using his body as he did this season with the New York Islanders to cause a disruption in front of the goaltender.

"Everyone has a role on this team on their lines and on the power play and mine is to get in front of the net," Lee said of his success today. "When we work together we feed off each other's effort and good things can happen."

It is safe to say the Russians experienced more pressure in their zone than any other game thus far in this tournament. Despite having only one shot on goal at the time, Russia scored on its second at 12:29 when Nikita Gusev sped through the neutral zone to take possession and went in on a break as Connor Murphy and Danny DeKeyser trailed behind.

Gusev spared fancy for practical, sending a shot high over Jimmy Howard’s glove side. Bogdan Kiselevich was there with the assist.

A Russian man advantage with Charlie McAvoy in the penalty box was canceled out when Sergei Plotnikov was called for a high sticking double minor. 

On another chance Russia’s Sergei Andronov found Ivan Telegin who was breaking towards the net as McAvoy’s penalty was winding down. Howard was there to turn the effort aside.

On the kill of Plotnikov’s penalty, Vladimir Tkatchyov provided spirited puck pursuit, disrupting a few USA rushes. Then Jack Eichel took a pass from Johnny Gaudreau and rifled a slapshot on goal that was saved. Eichel is still looking for his first goal of the World Championships. Near the end of the penalty, Telegin was hit by a puck and hobbled to the bench.

The second period saw some of the best end to end hockey at LANXESS Arena. Both teams had optimal scoring chances and the Americans came back three times. An increased number of turnovers on both sides led to quality chances and five goals being scored in the period. This was certainly fun for spectators but probably aged both coaching staffs.

USA scored one minute into the second on the power play as Kevin Hayes picked up his first goal. When a Jacob Trouba’s shot was saved, Brock Nelson attempted a pass to Hayes that was deflected by a Russian defender but still found its target. Hayes promptly potted the chance.

Russia began to apply more pressure themselves and forced several turnovers that resulted in scoring chances. Russia nearly went ahead when Kucherov forced a turnover and Artemi Panarin gathered the puck and sent it to with puck to Vladislav Namestnikov whose shot was stopped.

Russia retook the lead when Sergei Andronov separated Brady Skjei from the puck and found Anton Belov at the point for a shot. Belov’s goal at 7:33 made it 2-1.

McAvoy saved a potential breakaway by Yevgeni Dadonov by diving head first to break up the play. If Dadonov went in uncontested he could have put his team up by two.

Turnabout was fair play when Nelson captured an errant pass by Belov then finding Dylan Larkin who turned the puck from backhand to forehand and scored. Belov giveth and then taketh away.

When Connor Murphy was called for interference, Gusev scored his second goal. Initially, the Americans had the puck in the Russia zone but Christian Dvorak could not work it deep. When Russia regained the puck Dadonov fed Shipachyov for a two-on-one with Gusev going the other way. The power play goal made it 3-2 for Russia.

With the crowd of 18,756 comprised mainly of Russian attendees, the Americans would contend with enthusiastic fan support as well as a surging team on the ice.

But all was even again when Ivan Provorov’s lost control and Bjugstad gained control, found Gaudreau who fired a pass to Hayes alone in front. Hayes took his time and scored his second of the game.  

As time wound down, the Americans needed to gain the lead to have a chance of finishing atop the group. An overtime win would not help.

With Yevgeni Kuznetsov in the box for slashing, Lee finally scored off a nice redirection in front of a pass as Team USA grabbed the lead for the first time in the game. 

Russia nearly tied it as Panarin tied up Noah Hanifin, who was winding up for a shot, and stole a puck and went in on a breakaway but Howard remained posied, cool and the score remained 4-3. 

Nelson's empty net goal capped a thrilling afternoon at LANXESS arena. This was a big test for the Americans and they passed with flying colors. 

"Every game is tough but we proved to ourselves in a week's time that we can come together and be a competitive hockey team." Lee said of how Team USA is playing. "When all 23 guys are going we are a really good team."

Russia finishes second in the group heading into the quarterfinals.

"It was tough because we spent so much of the game shorthanded." Gusev said. "We couldn't create enough chances. I can't really be happy about my goals because we didn't win the game. The Americans are quick, they pressed us all through the game."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEN'S

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preliminary Round

DAY 12

Group B
Czech Republic CZE.gif 1 - 3 SUI.gif Switzerland
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 1-1, 0-1
May 16th 2016, h. 16:15, AccorHotels Arena, Paris

ZA6_1458.jpg?height=550&width=750

ZA6_1347.jpg?height=550&width=750

ZA6_1395.jpg?height=550&width=750

ZA5_5820.jpg?height=550&width=750

ZA5_5817.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Preliminary Round

DAY 12

Group B
Czech Republic CZE.gif 1 - 3 SUI.gif Switzerland
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 1-1, 0-1
May 16th 2016, h. 16:15, AccorHotels Arena, Paris

Swiss second in Group B

Victory over Czechs, Sweden next in QF

ZA6_1395_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Vincent Praplan, Reto Suri and Damien Brunner scored as the Swiss got second place in Group B and a quarter-final berth in Paris with a 3-1 win over the Czechs.

Coming off this solid group finale against an accomplished opponent, the Swiss will play Sweden from Cologne's Group A in the quarter-finals on Thursday.

"We wanted to have a good feeling going into the quarters," said Switzerland's Thomas Rufenacht. "We didn't know what Russia-USA were doing, but we want to build. We were lucky enough to get points in every game. It may have been a little unexpected by people from the outside and what they were thinking of us, but it shows we have character."

Roman Cervenka replied for the Czechs, who had been undefeated since their opening 4-1 loss to two-time defending champions Canada.

"We wanted to win the game and stay in second place," said Michal Repik. "We had the motivation, and it's the World Championship, so we don't want to lose any game ever. You have to give credit to the Swiss. They played a tough, fast game. They blocked a lot of shots, so we couldn't get much to the net and couldn't get much possession in their end."

Swiss goalie Niklas Schlegel, a 22-year-old who plays for ZSC Lions, earned the win in his IIHF World Championship debut. The Czechs outshot the Swiss 24-21.

Schlegel only found out this morning before practice that he would start. "The players supported me well today," said Schlegel, who admitted he was nervous. "They blocked so many shots. They did a great job in front of the net. All I can say is thank you to them. They made my life easier."

With defenceman Philippe Furrer injured, Dominik Schlumpf saw his first action of 2017 on the blue line, and chipped in an assist. Swiss coach Patrick Fischer also rested defenceman Ramon Untersander and forwards Cody Almond and Dennis Hollenstein ahead of the quarter-final.

It was a tight-checking, cautious affair as the two sides jockeyed for playoff position. The Swiss got off to a good start, outshooting the Czechs 8-3 in the opening stanza.

"They'd block a shot and come back up ice," said Repik. "They played hard, and we need to be better."

Just 1:42 in, Praplan corraled a loose puck from captain Raphael Diaz’s long blast and slid it through Czech goalie Petr Mrazek for his team-leading fourth goal of the tournament. With under eight minutes left in the first, Mrazek had to stone Denis Malgin on a breakaway.

At 8:36 of the second period, Suri made it 2-0 on a slapper from the blue line that Mrazek misplayed. He got a piece of it with his glove, but it trickled over the line.

The Czechs cut the deficit to 2-1 at 14:08, swarming the Swiss net. David Pastrnak slid a pass to Cervenka at the side of the net, and he took it off his skate, pausing before coolly lofting it over the fallen Schlegel.

Midway through the third period, Schlegel made a great pad save to deny Repik. Moments later, at the other end, Mrazek stretched out and stopped Rufenacht on a 2-on-1. But he couldn't stop Brunner at 12:09. The former NHLer pounced on a giveaway in the Czech zone and hammered home a slap shot from the top of the right faceoff circle for a 3-1 lead.

That was all it would take. The Swiss thus have a shot at their first medal since 2013's silver, and make the quarter-finals for the first time since 2015.

"It's like a quick season," said Rufenacht. "It's a process. We had to learn really quickly that you can't shut down after playing one good period [in the 5-4 shootout win over Slovenia]. We also had an exhibition game against Canada, and that was a big learning experience."

23 hours ago, hckosice said:

I disagree, you belong there, with this team for sure. I liked your play more than the team from Minsk 2014.

Unfortunately there perhaps a problem with stamina..this is not normal to lose 3 matches (SVK, LAT and DEN) in the last 2 minutes...In all 3 games you fought for points 58 minutes and then came the colapse...the second problem was clearly the very low scoring efficiency, I thought we will have the lowest in the tournament but Italy was even worse...only 6 goals scored is very bad result...

Yes the Egger mistake is terrible and painful, even our commentators have been shocked and said they are sad for him...I feel so bad for him and that goal...but surely it was about bad ice, there were huge ice issues during the whole tournament in Lanxess this week...

all in all I liked your team and play here. will cheer you next year in Div IA.

See you in Slovakia "Blue team"

well, being a better team than 2014 didn't take a big effort, actually...

I don't remember anything worse than that experience in the last 25 years of Italian Hockey history...:facepalm:

the 3 losses in the last minute or so of the games, instead, in my opinion are more related with the lack of experience of the majority of the current players of our team, rather than a lack of stamina...

meanwhile the lack of scoring efficiency has a lot to do with the technical and physical skills of our players...it's clear that we lack at least 2 or 3 big, heavy snipers in front of the cage that can translate the great build up work of people like Scandella, Diego and Simon Kostner, Anton Bernard, Morini into goals...in all of our games, I've watched way too much circling around the net without anyone in front of the opposing netminder ready to touch the puck into the net...if we can't find someone with those skills, I don't see how we can improve this part of our game (moreover, the only player more or less like this we have on our roster - Joachim Ramoser - was out because of an injury...we haven't even been lucky)...

finally, the Egger episode...

I didn't even mentioned it yesterday because it was clear that it was only an unlucky accident due to the really shameful ice conditions...

in my opinion the only one to blame is the ice master of the Lanxess Arena...:facepalm::wall:

I hope however that this experience has been useful to our guys and that they can rapidly improve and get back in the Top Class Worlds as soon as possible...

but you know, without a competitive National Tournament is very difficult to develop a decent number of very good players...only those lucky ones who can get a place in the best European and/or North American teams have a chance to grow up quickly and became real globally recognized top players...

and we don't have anything even close to a serious National Championship, so we are always in danger to get short with our National Team roster and find very few players good enough for this kind of Hockey...:(:cry::dunno:

p.s. today's afternoon games have been great (especially the big rivalry battle between RUS and USA)...a very entertaining show (way better than last night's NHL game between Pittsburgh and Ottawa, which came out a bit disappointing, if compared with the previous NHL playoffs nights)...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

well, being a better team than 2014 didn't take a big effort, actually...

I don't remember anything worse than that experience in the last 25 years of Italian Hockey history...:facepalm:

the 3 losses in the last minute or so of the games, instead, in my opinion are more related with the lack of experience of the majority of the current players of our team, rather than a lack of stamina...

meanwhile the lack of scoring efficiency has a lot to do with the technical and physical skills of our players...it's clear that we lack at least 2 or 3 big, heavy snipers in front of the cage that can translate the great build up work of people like Scandella, Diego and Simon Kostner, Anton Bernard, Morini into goals...in all of our games, I've watched way too much circling around the net without anyone in front of the opposing netminder ready to touch the puck into the net...if we can't find someone with those skills, I don't see how we can improve this part of our game (moreover, the only player more or less like this we have on our roster - Joachim Ramoser - was out because of an injury...we haven't even been lucky)...

finally, the Egger episode...

I didn't even mentioned it yesterday because it was clear that it was only an unlucky accident due to the really shameful ice conditions...

in my opinion the only one to blame is the ice master of the Lanxess Arena...:facepalm::wall:

I hope however that this experience has been useful to our guys and that they can rapidly improve and get back in the Top Class Worlds as soon as possible...

but you know, without a competitive National Tournament is very difficult to develop a decent number of very good players...only those lucky ones who can get a place in the best European and/or North American teams have a chance to grow up quickly and became real globally recognized top players...

and we don't have anything even close to a serious National Championship, so we are always in danger to get short with our National Team roster and find very few players good enough for this kind of Hockey...:(:cry::dunno:

p.s. today's afternoon games have been great (especially the big rivalry battle between RUS and USA)...a very entertaining show (way better than last night's NHL game between Pittsburgh and Ottawa, which came out a bit disappointing, if compared with the previous NHL playoffs nights)...

:(

Hopefully you will be able to fix all issues and form a championship which will attract more youngs to play hockey and this formidable sport will finally start to get the attention and popularity which he deserves in Italy :fingers:

btw no worries, you are not the only one with big problems with your hockey...don´t even want to know what is just happening in Slovakia :( we are right now in a absolute shit. a real war has been opened after this championship, everyone is accusing and blame everyone, Only dirty things are being pulled out. we are all afraid what will happen now, if you want to take a look about all this frustration we have to spend..just use google translator here some articles in front pages of our sites about the boycott, the sabotage and all this freaking shit we have in our hockey now...just look the first main page of our biggest sport website and you´ll understand everything :(

coach about the sabotage http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/276954/ms-v-hokeji-2017-uz-davno-som-chcel-skoncit-odkazuje-nahnevany-ciger-sefovi-szlh/

general manager about boycott and bad relations with some persons of our federation http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/276995/ms-v-hokeji-2017-svehla-to-uz-nevydrzal-ja-volam-hracom-z-nhl-a-kohut-im-povie-nech-necestuju/

Results after 2nd Period

Group A in Cologne
Germany - Latvia 2-1 (0-0, 2-1,-)

31:02 David WOLF 1-0

31:29 Dennis SEIDENBERG 2-0

38:42 Gunars SKVORTSOVS 2-1

Group B in Paris

Canada - Finland 4-2 (3-1, 1-1,-)

02:46 Mitch MARNER 1-0

03:08 Jani LAJUNEN 1-1

04:06 Colton PARAYKO 2-1

13:45 Mitch MARNER 3-1

28:09 Brayden POINT 4-1

36:51 Atte OHTAMAA 4-2

Final Results

Group A in Cologne
Germany - Latvia 4-3 After GWS (0-0, 2-1, 1-2, OT: 0-0, GWS: 1-0)

31:02 David WOLF 1-0

31:29 Dennis SEIDENBERG 2-0

38:42 Gunars SKVORTSOVS 2-1

48:22 Janis SPRUKTS 2-2

56:08 Andris DZERINS 2-3

59:27 Felix SCHUTZ 3-3

Winning Shootout scored by Frederik TIFFELS 4-3 GWS

Group B in Paris

Canada - Finland 5-2 (3-1, 1-1, 1-0)

02:46 Mitch MARNER 1-0

03:08 Jani LAJUNEN 1-1

04:06 Colton PARAYKO 2-1

13:45 Mitch MARNER 3-1

28:09 Brayden POINT 4-1

36:51 Atte OHTAMAA 4-2

40:32 Matt DUCHENE 5-2

MEN'S

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Preliminary Round

DAY 12

Group A
Germany GER.gifGWS4 - 3 LAT.gif Latvia
Period-by-Period: 0-0, 2-1, 1-2, OT: 0-0, GWS: 1-0
May 16th 2016, h. 20:15, LANXESS Arena, Cologne

Group A Final Standing

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
USA.gif United States
6(0)
1(0)
+17
RUS.gif Russia
6(1)
1(0)
+22
SWE.gif Sweden
5(0)
2(1)
+16
GER.gif Germany
4(2)
3(1)
LAT.gif Latvia
3(0)
4(1)
DEN.gif Denmark
3(2)
4(0)
SVK.gif Slovakia
1(1)
6(2)
ITA.gif Italy
0(0)
7(1)

ARX10380.jpg?height=550&width=750

AR7_0601.jpg?height=550&width=750

ARX10254.jpg?height=550&width=750

ARX10247.jpg?height=550&width=750

ARX10379.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Preliminary Round

DAY 12

Group A
Germany GER.gif GWS4 - 3 LAT.gif Latvia
Period-by-Period: 0-0, 2-1, 1-2, OT: 0-0, GWS: 1-0
May 16th 2016, h. 20:15, LANXESS Arena, Cologne

Tiffels - Germany's hero!

Shoot-out win takes host to QF clash

ARX10132_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

After a pulsating showdown saw Germany and Latvia battle it out for the last QF spot, the host got the verdict in a nerve-jangling shoot-out in Cologne.

The last ticket to the quarter-finals was booked in the most dramatic fashion, with Germany getting the edge in a shoot-out thanks to Frederik Tiffels.

After five failed attempts, Tiffels found the way through Elvis Merzlinkins' five-hole to snap a 3-3 tie and give Germany the victory it needed to secure a quarter-final match-up here in Cologne against defending champion Canada.

Tiffels, who celebrates his 22nd birthday on Saturday, is a Cologne native who is back in his home town for the championship after three years playing for West Michigan University. Team-mate Moritz Muller described the youngster's impact on the national team.

"When Frederik went out in the shootout I was thinking this could be a special night for him if he scores," Muller said. "This young player had a breakout at this World Championship and I thought it could be a special moment in German sports. I am happy for him and he did it for us; after that was celebration time."

Even before the drama of a shoot-out, another capacity crowd in Cologne was treated to a breathless finale to a pulsating 60 minutes of hockey. After Latvia tied the game at 2-2 midway through the third period, Andris Dzerins looked to have snatched victory for his team with four minutes left, only for Germany to salvage a last-gasp leveller with 32 seconds remaining on the clock.

Felix Schutz got the goal, forcing the puck home from close range after a mighty scramble around Merzlinkins’ net. Germany, desperately seeking to preserve its championship hopes, was playing six-on-four hockey, ramping up the power play by benching goalie Philipp Grubauer in a final death-or-glory surge. Latvia’s players, despairing, lay slumped in the goal crease as the home team and its fans celebrated an eleventh-hour reprieve.

German captain Christian Ehrhoff said: "In those last moments we were just focusing on trying to everything to tie the game. There was a belief in the group, there wasn't really any doubt, we felt it was all in our hands."

His opposite number, Latvia's Kaspars Daugavins, tried to articulate a mixture of disappointment and pride. "We didn’t get where we want," he said. "Our mindset had us going to Paris tomorrow and it hurts that we're not. But since I've been with the team, I don't remember a group like this. These are good guys and we believe we can play with anyone. I hope we can keep this going for a long time. We have to thank Bob Hartley for bringing this new culture to Latvian hockey."

The stakes could not have been higher going into the game: the teams in fourth and fifth place were level on points; the knock-out phase started early as Tuesday night’s winner would advance while the loser would go home.

And both teams were evenly matched, despite following different paths to collect nine points from their first six games. Latvia had reliably defeated the three weaker teams without troubling Group A’s big hitters; Germany shocked eventual group winner Team USA in the opening game, but stuttered in its games against Slovakia and Denmark.

Latvia recalled three key players – Dzerins, Janis Sprukts and goalie Merzlikins – after resting them for yesterday’s 0-5 loss against Russia.

And Hartley’s decision to rotate his squad paid off handsomely with all three men making a big contribution. Dzerins and Sprukts both scored, while Merzlinkins produced another fine goaltending display, especially in a first period that Germany dominated without scoring. He made 19 saves in that session, with the highlight coming in the final seconds of the session after Draisaitl went round the back to feed Yasin Ehliz only for a reaction stop to deny Germany the opening goal.

But as the game passed its midway point, two goals in 27 seconds put Germany in control and a sell-out crowd into raptures. On the power play, Ehrhoff saw his effort from the blue line saved, but David Wolf collected the rebound and beat Merzlikins on the backhand for his first goal of the tournament. Replays suggested that the puck crossed the blue line before Ehrhoff’s shot, but no offside call came and the goal stood. The crowd was still celebrating when Marcus Kink burst into the Latvian zone and took a shot. Merzlikins got good distance on his block but directed the puck straight to Dennis Seidenberg, who had no hesitation in firing it into the net.

At last, Latvia began to generate some offence and before long Philipp Grubauer pulled off the best save of the night. A power play for the Baltic team saw a chance for Daugavins right in front of the net. A goal seemed certain, but Grubauer flung out his stick and clawed the puck out of the top corner. Moments later Maris Bicevskis hit the post, and there was a growing sense that this might be Germany’s night.

That confidence was checked late in the second period, though, when Gunars Skvorcovs got a goal back for Latvia. Kristaps Sotnieks released him for a rush into the German zone and, with traffic ahead of Grubauer’s net, the Latvian was able to pick out a spot inside the far post and rip a wrister that the goalie got nowhere near, making it a one-goal game going into the final session.

Then Latvia tied it up in the 49th minute when Sprukts squeezed a shot through Grubauer’s pads after a no-look feed from Miks Indrasis beside the net. Germany’s lead was gone, and it was all to play for in the final 10.

Latvia thought it had won it in regulation when Dzerins got the tip on a slapshot from Uvis Balinskis as Latvia pressed on a power play, giving his team a 3-2 lead on 56:08 before Schutz delivered his late leveler.

"It was a terrible feeling when they scored," said Ehliz. "We were leading 2-0 then it was 3-2. The good thing is that it gave us a push and we won the game. In the end it was a great game, and winning in the shoot-out was huge for us."