website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

Just now, Dunadan said:

Source? All documents say the contrary.

I swear I saw a qualification document that saw otherwise. Wikipedia agrees with me on this one. I will admit that I have nothing to back my claim, but that I’m 80% sure this is the case. I’ll try to make a  media inquiry with the WKF tomorrow, and see if they’re willingly to clear the situation up.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I swear I saw a qualification document that saw otherwise. Wikipedia agrees with me on this one. I will admit that I have nothing to back my claim, but that I’m 80% sure this is the case. I’ll try to make a  media inquiry with the WKF tomorrow, and see if they’re willingly to clear the situation up.

the wkf official quali document (the only one reliable to me) says that no African/Asian/Oceanian regional games count for the continental spots...only Pan-Am Games and European Games...:evil:

by the way, I think that WKF/Tripartite Commission places in Karate will be awarded not to the typical small Nations, but they will take into consideration all the Countries that don't have any qualified athlete and are in the top position of their respective rankings...

I mean, I'm pretty sure that they will give the women's Kata place to :DOM Maria Dimitrova (who's just 1 place below the line of qualifiers), rather than a senseless 48th ranked from an exotic Nation (and the same for the other available wild cards)...

with only 10 athletes per class, it doesn't make sense to have a couple of categories with a partially non competitive field...:finger:

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

the wkf official quali document (the only one reliable to me) says that no African/Asian/Oceanian regional games count for the continental spots...only Pan-Am Games and European Games...:evil:

I agree.

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

by the way, I think that WKF/Tripartite Commission places in Karate will be awarded not to the typical small Nations, but they will take into consideration all the Countries that don't have any qualified athlete and are in the top position of their respective rankings...

I mean, I'm pretty sure that they will give the women's Kata place to :DOM Maria Dimitrova (who's just 1 place below the line of qualifiers), rather than a senseless 48th ranked from an exotic Nation (and the same for the other available wild cards)...

Impossible, :DOM is not eligible for that

Screenshot_2019-08-15-11-11-04.png

Just now, Dunadan said:

I agree.

Impossible, :DOM is not eligible for that

Screenshot_2019-08-15-11-11-04.png

if they use the list of those Countries + the rule of the top 50 of the ranking, I really doubt they can fill all the 10 spots in the classes where they need to...:mumble:

Just now, phelps said:

if they use the list of those Countries + the rule of the top 50 of the ranking, I really doubt they can fill all the 10 spots in the classes where they need to...:mumble:

As said above, I count 6 NOCs with eligible athletes at the moment: Benin, Macedonia, Kosovo, Pakistan, Albania, Kuwait. I think problems can arise especially in women's categories. If they can't fill a spot, it will go to the highest ranked athlete in the Olympic ranking.

Just now, Dunadan said:

As said above, I count 6 NOCs with eligible athletes at the moment: Benin, Macedonia, Kosovo, Pakistan, Albania, Kuwait. I think problems can arise especially in women's categories. If they can't fill a spot, it will go to the highest ranked athlete in the Olympic ranking.

you forgot Montenegro and Kuwait...

however, if we look at the specific needs considering the list of virtual qualified athletes, we have 2 candidates for the women's Kata spot, MNE & MKD...meanwhile KUW is basically sure to get 1 of the 2 men's Kata spot, with the second going to BOT (currently 49th in the OQR and really at risk of going out)...

the last spot (women's +61kg) has only Marina Rakovic (MNE) in the top 50 among the eligible Countries...which means that we already have a problem (MNE can't fill 2 spots, but there are no other Countries available in those 3 categories)...

some sh*tty move incoming, I fear...:mumble:

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Interesting, I didn't know of Top 50 requirement for wild cards.

So it looks as though only :MKD :KUW :PAK :BEN would be eligible. Benin is ranked 50th so they can easily drop out too.

Despite all the hype, karate is really not as globally competitive as taekwondo...

sure...

Karate had 27 Nations (3 different from Africa and all Continents but Oceania) on the medal table of the last World Champs (and 11 of them with at least 1 Gold)...

Taekwondo instead had 25 Nations on the final medal table (9 of them with at least 1 Gold)...with no African nor Oceanian among them...

To be clear, athletes have to be in top 50 of the world ranking as of April 2020 which will be different from the Olympic ranking as of April 2020 ( OR has some categories merged, only 1 continental championship counted instead of 2, some competitions coefficients are not the same and the results between April and July 2018 are not counted)

Just now, phelps said:

sure...

Karate had 27 Nations (3 different from Africa and all Continents but Oceania) on the medal table of the last World Champs (and 11 of them with at least 1 Gold)...

Taekwondo instead had 25 Nations on the final medal table (9 of them with at least 1 Gold)...with no African nor Oceanian among them...

Basically all nations that won medals at karate worlds are "usual suspects".... Taekwondo has Niger, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Afghanistan and such winning medals...

#banbestmen

• 1 month later...

Qualified countries per new WKF Olympic ranking on 1 October

Men

Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA

67kg:   :KAZ:FRA:ITA:BRA  :EGY:UZB

75kg:   :IRI:ITA:AZE:UKR  :AUS:USA

+75kg: :TUR:GER:IRI:CRO  :AZE:USA

Women

Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA  :NZL

55kg:   :TUR:UKR:TPE:AUT  :PER:IRI

61kg:   :CHN:EGY:TUR:SRB  :MAR

+61kg: :SUI:AZE:GRE:IRI  :EGY:ITA

if today was the end of the qualification race, Italy had 5 quotas ! Turkey and Iran with 4, Egypt, USA and Azerbaijan with 3. but if they are going to replace 2019 European with the next one, that may change a lot in this ranking.

Only 2 more events left this year, both of them Premier League, Moscow 4-6 October and Madrid late November.