website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

South Korea was indeed working hard to prepare for the tournament, naturalizing 7-8 north americans and recruiting all famous players with korean ancestry like Jim Paek as coach. they had been showing a nice game for a few years before the tournament, they really tried to show that their host quota place was justified. they put a lot of money and will into it. I can not say a single bad word about them, even if now 2 years after, the whole work is gone, the popularity, interest and support of hockey totally evaporated there. 

But what is the most important. A year before the games they were a Division I A team which even qualified by merit to the Top division that year, in opposite China is struggling in far far lower divisions level

South Korea did great job not only by naturalizing some players but also making a strong team. 7 foreign players cannot make a good strong team. If you read about current chinese national team or at least list of those trying to make chinese national team, many of them are foreigners who were given the exception to hold 2 citizenships (China normally does not allow this) and trying to make the national team. What I checked last time, there are many naturalized Canadians and Russian. But as far as I know, none of them made it to any major league. So I guess they may be some kind of village league players which is surely enough for chinese national team but surely not enough for WCH division A or Olympic tournament. China has promised some stuff they will achieve before the Olympics but nothing happened. In my opinion, IIHF and COC must make some kind of deal about it. Otherwise, it will be a huge shame for the whole country. At least chinese people would feel a big shame about. They have way more chances in other sports. That is where they should focus during the upcoming Olympics. And they should leave ice hockey to those who can actually play and deserve to play around the rings way more than some unskilled chinese players or naturalized village league foreign players. 

7 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

South Korea did great job not only by naturalizing some players but also making a strong team. 7 foreign players cannot make a good strong team. If you read about current chinese national team or at least list of those trying to make chinese national team, many of them are foreigners who were given the exception to hold 2 citizenships (China normally does not allow this) and trying to make the national team. What I checked last time, there are many naturalized Canadians and Russian. But as far as I know, none of them made it to any major league. So I guess they may be some kind of village league players which is surely enough for chinese national team but surely not enough for WCH division A or Olympic tournament. China has promised some stuff they will achieve before the Olympics but nothing happened. In my opinion, IIHF and COC must make some kind of deal about it. Otherwise, it will be a huge shame for the whole country. At least chinese people would feel a big shame about. They have way more chances in other sports. That is where they should focus during the upcoming Olympics. And they should leave ice hockey to those who can actually play and deserve to play around the rings way more than some unskilled chinese players or naturalized village league foreign players. 

Absolutely. +1

Here are the few new :CHN citizens I´ve heard about (Ice Hockey team) before the governement decided to stop that insane second-hand shopping around the world

As far as I know the Chinese government invested very little in the sport of ice hockey, let alone the naturalization of foreigners. Some crazy tycoons who happen to be ice hockey fans pay the bill. As a taxpayer I am glad about this. The brain damage thing was aired in national TV several times and parents just refuse to send their kids to ice hockey teams. Figure skating and freestyle skiing, however, are completely different stories. You have to pay ridiculous money to get your kid trained in figure skating.

I am sure nobody would care even if the Chinese ice hockey team was beaten by the US or Canada 0-200. Well, as long as it's not table tennis, Chinese people are not so crazy about sports. 

Naturalizing foreigners without Chinese blood would be extremely difficult. Central asian, Korean, Mongolian are acceptable becasue these ethnics are partially living China and considered among Chinese ethnics. Only successful examples without Chinese blood are several Brazilian soccer players staying in China over 5 years targeting 2022 FIFA World Cup. the importance of ice hockey is far less than soccer and by no means will they receive green lights. 

• 2 weeks later...

usually credible sources report that the IOC has agreed to the terms and conditions of the NHL and the NHLPA players' representatives.

The IOC will pay for the tickets and overpay the players' insurance policies, which has been the biggest problem in the negotiations so far. The NHL has agreed hat in this conditions will not prevent players from representing their countries in Beijing 2022 and Cortina 2026 and is likely to stop the NHL during the Olympics.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I hope Canada destroys them..

Maybe then they will surrender the "two Michaels" jk

Every team they will face will destroy them. CAN will eat them alive, may finish very likely as the highest result of Olympic history beating the Canada-Switzerland 33:0 and Canada-Czechoslovakia 30:0 of the 20s for sure

Pretty much, Germany was relegated and played in 1A back in 2006 where they proceeded to average 7-1 wins against the Division 1A teams. Germany is a better team today and China is two tiers below. It also won't help that goal differential matters for seeding in the next round so it will only encourage teams to run up the score until they are well into the double digits.