website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

14 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

China is two tiers below.

Three to be precise.

However, To make it clear, people see me always grumble here and there about this topic, I just want to make it clear, I have absolutely nothing against :CHN and their sport, it is a power house in many sports, they have great athletes, I cheer many of them personally, also China is able to present great olympics, Beijing 2008 was amazing, 2022 will be for sure as well.

I just can not admit how they stole this one home quota only by lobbying of their highest politic representatives at the IIHF and Fasel. A host quota they just do not deserve. I said it many times let make it fair, let them play a qualification match (or 2 or even 3 I have not problem with that) against us. I am fine also with the match being played in China, no problem, let just prove they merit this direct place more than us. That´s all.

Otherwise it is just a robbery, and I wish from all my heart McDavid, Draisaitl and co. will show to their governement leaders what idiotic mistake they did for lobbying for this quota.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I meant relative to division 1A

Were really lucky in 2019 to not drop down to II B, survived by 1 point against :BEL , I watched the games. it was between them, the rest was miles ahead. if not covid cancellation last year, pretty sure they would be already back in II B this year

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

I hope Canada destroys them..

Maybe then they will surrender the "two Michaels" jk

I truly hope IOC has enough common sense and based on their "progress" within past few won't let them participate and reallocate the quota to the country that really deserves to play the Olympic tournament. 

20 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Were really lucky in 2019 to not drop down to II B, survived by 1 point against :BEL , I watched the games. it was between them, the rest was miles ahead. if not covid cancellation last year, pretty sure they would be already back in II B this year

:CHN also mentioned they wanna naturalize some foreign players. But I am pretty sure that most of the citizens would critsize this step. Because China's government would be playing against their own rules/laws. In other words, they are too proud to do this. And with locals, they haven't developed enough in ice hockey to face the world best teams. They need at least one more generation. That is why I think the quota should belong to another country. For me, :KAZ is playing amazing games at WCH this year, but already failed to qualify due to very unexpected loss against :POL . Well, let'ss how this goes .....

2 minutes ago, Jan Linha said:

:CHN also mentioned they wanna naturalize some foreign players. But I am pretty sure that most of the citizens would critsize this step. Because China's government would be playing against their own rules/laws. In other words, they are too proud to do this. And with locals, they haven't developed enough in ice hockey to face the world best teams. They need at least one more generation. That is why I think the quota should belong to another country. For me, :KAZ is playing amazing games at WCH this year, but already failed to qualify due to very unexpected loss against :POL . Well, let'ss how this goes .....

The whole qualifying system is based on the 2019 world ranking. The top 9 countries are qualified directly + 3 from qualifications. If the host country is not among the 9, then the top 8 qualify via ranking, host country and 3 from qualification

SVK was 9th.

9 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Would the IIHF give the quota to Slovakia and move everyone around (and have one less team in Group D) or would it be better to organize a separate tournament with the second place teams for a final quota?

No idea. maybe they would just leave it as it is, maybe just the highest seeded team from the second place will then qualify as well, or the best second team from all final groups would advance. But frankly, Rather, I think they will no longer interfere to prevent total chaos. China will have this direct quota and they will just hope and believe that they will not impede their reputation and that no one will hold them accountable.

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

No idea. maybe they would just leave it as it is, maybe just the highest seeded team from the second place will then qualify as well, or the best second team from all final groups would advance. But frankly, Rather, I think they will no longer interfere to prevent total chaos. China will have this direct quota and they will just hope and believe that they will not impede their reputation and that no one will hold them accountable.

I would also guess that it might the best team in second place. But we still have at least half an year for the final decision. As for China, I think they will also consider the reflection on their country in a political way. As I said, there would be a lot of critics from public if for example China lost to Canada even just 0:11. Of course, from IOC would be fair if they did reallocate their quota to a better team. But China has been trying to improve and I think if they saw that the Olympic Games matches would have ended up bad, they might even withdraw the quota themselves. Chinese people are very proud but I believe this move would also make a difference as they are trying to be more world friendly. I am really curious how this topic ends. 

If you start making it difficult for the host country to not field a team when they want to a large part of the incentive to host Games  will go  

God knows I'm far from being a fan of the Chi Coms but this is a general principal for all hosts

Remember who is paying the bill 

Anyway ice hockey is essentially a European sport plus USA and Canada ' The women's version is even smaller  ( we all know the gold medal game  will be USA v Canada  . Having a 3rd continent participate might do wonders for it's claim to be a serious  international sport 

I recall GB fielded basketball and handball teams when they hosted . Australia fielded a handball team in Sydney  ( it's always handball for the English speaking countries -it's just not played by the Anglo locals but usually they can find a few migrants who can play )

I also sorta remember Greece investigating whether to field ( field ) hockey teams in Athens by checking out the Greek diaspora in hockey playing nations . They didn't participate so I guess they  couldn't find enough Greek passport qualified hockey players