website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly Peronist is kind of it’s own thing. It’s an odd amalgamation of a bunch of different political ideologies.

44 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly Peronist is kind of it’s own thing. It’s an odd amalgamation of a bunch of different political ideologies.

Basically the policy of Juan Peron (from whom the term peronism started) was to create a lot of public entities and hire workers/servants which actually consisted the main bulk of his supporters. But this created a lot of debt since national economy couldn't withstand so many public servants, even this was obvious from the 2nd term of peron in early 50s that led to his ouster through a military coup. Between 1955-1983 various civic non peronist governments and military juntas due to internal disorder weren't able to stabilize the economic situation of the country. Then 99s came with Carlos menem the first peronist president after years who followed a neoliberal policy, privatizing a lot of former state companies. Kirsner and his wife later both from peronist party reversed that policy in the aftermath of economic collapse so they are considered the centre-left faction of the party. 

In last elections we saw all factions of peronism united against Macri. 

For Juan peron my conclusion is that he tried to create a corporate state, with a big workers base probably influenced by benito musolini in Italy where he had lived and experienced the facts there when he was younger 

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Exactly, is like you say, they even have a little part of libertarians........now the part vinculated with Montoneros (marxist guerrilla of the 70s) are leading the party, May be Alberto Fernandez dont continue that way....its impossible to know.

11 minutes ago, opruh said:

Chile too is going to have a leftist government after the millions of protesters there kick out the current right wing government.

Well the problem for Chile’s government was their reaction. Young people protesting will always move the political needle (look at Russia (opposition protests are on the rise), Hong Kong, Chile, US (common sense gun control after the Parkland kids started their movement), etc.). Unfortunately, Child tried an indifferent response to the protest, and tried to treat young adults like 5 year old kids. The students set the wood for the fire, and the government essentially supplied the matches. I condemn burning public transport buildings down, but the government made its coffin.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 hours ago, Monzanator said:

If Clinton got impeached for the Lewinsky affair then no member of the Congress should be held to a lower standard.

She's not even the California congresscritter with the worst ongoing sex scandal.

Edited by NearPup

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

She's not even the California congresscritter with the worst ongoing sex scandal.

Oh great, who’d I miss :facepalm:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, LDOG said:

What exactly are you calling "resources"? Just oil or something else?

The geography of Venezuela/Colombia has nothing to do with Argentina or Chile's. Saying "south america" is an inmense generalization in this aspect.

Well, majority of the South American countries lists food as their top export product? Sure, there is coffee in Colombia but like 80% of the bananas I ate in my life have the 'Ecuador' sticker on them :p There's maybe 15% of 'Costa Rica' stickers and 5% from Colombia so there is that.

I understand landlocked countries like Bolivia or Paraguay have mountains and not much else. How is the fishing market in Argentina anyway? I suppose the global trade importance of Argentina & Uruguay has dropped in the 20th century since you have cargo planes and sending goods on a merchant ships to and from Buenos Aires is no longer the only travel route available.

Of course there is tourism but it's a great rivalry across the globe in that market so it doesn't stand out like Venezuela and their crude oil potential tbh.

Well quite a day in non-Trump US politics.

First, the NCAA announced that all athletes will be allowed to make money off their image, likeness, name, etc.
Second, the US House has voted to officially recognize the Armenian genocide, and Turkey as the sole suspect.

Then a Republican senator said that he will propose a bill to tax students for scholarships, which is obviously only going to lead to student protests (especially since student debt in the US is huge).

Next, was this controversy: https://nypost.com/2019/10/29/deadspin-staffers-revolt-against-order-to-cover-just-sports/. I fully support the editorial staff and journalists at Deadspin.  Then the same thing happened to a video game/electronics news organization.

It’s an unusually un- Trumpy news day, and I am enjoying it :yes

The protests were successful! Lebanon’s prime minister will step down. However, I have a feeling this isn’t the end of protests. Lebanon’s protest are more about the economy more than anything else.