website statistics

Athletics EAA Team European Championships 1st League 2019

OlympicIRL

Just now, Grassmarket said:

See, I'm a better Irish Supporter than you are, mate!  :SCO   You were 4th in the end!  

That's a relief! Not such a disaster after all then.

Inner thoughts: Still could have been better  lol

Nice to see my brethren here :d (half-Scottish)

22 hours ago, Dennis said:

Some thoughts after today:

• Today's winners:  :BLR and :POR are the teams that did the best today. They are the clear numbers 3 and 4 for me now.

• Today's losers: Maybe weird to say this as they are the #1 after today, but :HUN might be my biggest disappointment of the day. Not because of the two finals which were contested today, but because of the preliminaries in all the sprint events. Maybe they saved energy for the finals? Might not be the case though as they missed 4 of them.

• Promotion: :NED still the clear favorite for me to get into the Superleague next year. :NED and :NOR met the expectations so far. However, :BLR and :POR are getting closer. Too bad only one team gets promoted, because these four teams would have had an intense battle for three spots.

• Relegation: If :HUN wasn't saving energy, then :ROU and :IRL saw their chances of staying in this league increasing, with :IRL being the favorite to stay in this division for me taking today's positive results into account. :SVK also did well compared to other teams based on how close they were to their SBs, but I still don't see them finishing higher than last place. :LTU met the expectations I'd say, with a positive outlier on the women's 400m compensating for the slightly disappointing women's 200m.

My thoughts after Day 2:

• Positive surprises: :SVK surprised me in many events, especially in the men's long jump. :BLR and :POR continue their good form they showed yesterday.

• Today's losers: :NED getting disqualified in both relays. Looking at the races, they would have finished first in both relays, so they actually lost 22 points. Had they won those points, I would have had almost zero doubts that :NED would be promoted.

• Promotion: It's all open now. :NED :BLR :POR and :NOR will battle it out together. Seeing how well :POR and :BLR are doing, they might be the favorites now.

• Relegation: After the surprisingly good performance of :SVK today, I think they will finished in 10th place, leaving :LTU behind them. :ROU :IRL and :HUN will battle it out for that 7th spot. Right now, it looks as if :ROU might take it.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

I would say Hungary will be relegated based on their performances so far.... consistently losing points vs seeding. Romania are doing the opposite.

Tomorrow we have at least 3 events with 1 point (pole vault men/women and 3000m steeplechase men) but in rest our best events are tomorrow (long jump women, high jump women, 1500 women, relay women, discus throw men, javelin throw men)so maybe we have a chance to finish in top 7 ....

Edited by IoNuTzZ

Standings after Event 21 / 40

Rk   Nation Pts
1   :POR Portugal 163
2   :NOR Norway 142
3   :NED Netherlands 140
4   :TUR Turkey 137
5   :BLR Belarus 135
6   :IRL Ireland 120
7   :ROU Romania 118
8   :SVK Slovakia 116
9   :BEL Belgium 111
10   :HUN Hungary 108
11   :LTU Lithuania 91
R   :RUS Russia -

we all know that we will be relegated, very likely finishing dead last. Actually just a fact we did qualified here is like a kind of sci-fi thing, as a newly promoted team in 2nd division we shocked everyone in Tel Aviv and advanced to this 1st division, but the truth is that we don´t belong there, this is not the real state of our athletics, just look at the Olympics qualifiers, we still qualified 0 in athletics. but the positive thing, our athletes despite enormous handicap against athletes from all the countries they compete against this weekend are really fighting. Great team spirit and display how you have to fight to avoid relegation. Kudos to our athletics team here. even if they´ll probably fail, we can be more than satisfied with what we saw during last 2 days.