website statistics

Skeleton 2019 - 2020 Discussion Thread

Col_Frost

• 2 months later...

:GAM will try to qualify for 2022 Olympics in this sport. @dcro

He is fundraising here.

"Hello!
My name is Amadou Krubally. I'm dreaming of my country The Gambia to compete for the first time at the Winter Olympic Games 2022 in Beijing. I decided to do Skeleton, which means throwing myself down an ice channel on a small board, head-first. I founded IceGambia, a federation that let's me be a member of the official Bobsleigh&Skeleton organization. The only thing that is missing are the funds for this season. Please help support the crazy idea of a crazy guy doing a crazy sport just to see his country compete.
With € 15000 I can do the whole season (Europe Cup/International Cup) and qualify for the Winter Olympic Games. Help me write history!"

Just now, intoronto said:

He is fundraising here.

"Hello!
My name is Amadou Krubally. I'm dreaming of my country The Gambia to compete for the first time at the Winter Olympic Games 2022 in Beijing. I decided to do Skeleton, which means throwing myself down an ice channel on a small board, head-first. I founded IceGambia, a federation that let's me be a member of the official Bobsleigh&Skeleton organization. The only thing that is missing are the funds for this season. Please help support the crazy idea of a crazy guy doing a crazy sport just to see his country compete.
With € 15000 I can do the whole season (Europe Cup/International Cup) and qualify for the Winter Olympic Games. Help me write history!"

Considering the amount he raised, it does not look promising at all. :p

#banbestmen

You know it’s too bad. I think this guy is like 19-21 years old, meaning he just missies the cutoff for the YOG this year. He certainly could have qualified for that :(. I’m trying to figure out the best way to help him, but I don’t have many contacts in the international sports community. I’d love to see him make it. Of course he won’t, not because of funding issues, but because of Akwasi Frimpong :GHA (who is very much still training and improving his times)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

He is fundraising here.

"Hello!

I pulled the strings I could and got Akwasi Frimpong to help spread the word (he has a big social media following), but so far it does appear to be taking off. I feel bad for the guy, and other athletes in similar position. It’s a shame :GAM aren’t willing, or aren’t able to help fund him a little bit. Akwasi said that he’d helped him and a few other Africans set up federations for their countries. What a guy!

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

No Elisabeth Maier (Vathtje) this winter, since she's expected to give birth in December.

https://www.ibsf.org/en/news/9-skeleton/21262-baby-break-for-skeleton-athlete-elisabeth-vathje

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Okay, what it with the insane about of births in women’s winter sports this year. The Olympic Village most have been popping (although it’s too late on for that, but maybe relationships started :dunno:)

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Okay, what it with the insane about of births in women’s winter sports this year. The Olympic Village most have been popping (although it’s too late on for that, but maybe relationships started :dunno:)

All of those mentioned recently were in their current relationships well before Pyeongchang if I'm not mistaken :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minut temu, heywoodu napisał:

All of those mentioned recently were in their current relationships well before Pyeongchang if I'm not mistaken :p 

I would not generalize Geisenberger, for example, she was in a fiancée, because she got married in one of the summer months from what I remember. I do not know how with others, because to be honest I do not follow the private life of athletes and whether anyone is pregnant or became gay is basically indifferent to me.