website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

Just now, Grassmarket said:

OK, but is is possible to fake a measurement anymore? I know it was done at the Rome World Champs when there was manual measurement, but nowadays it is all digital, no human involvement. 

We have seen problems with setting up the equipment in a few events - is happening in the Triple Jump now. 

I don't believe that it was actually faked on purpose. My point is: Her throw was shorter than actually measured. There are problems witht the laser measurement, indeed. If the meaures are too short, you run a protest a against it. I think, the laser measurement here was wrong but nobody protested against it as the measurement showed a better result than it actually was. Or the contestants did't noticed it, I don't know.

Just now, LowerSaxony said:

I don't believe that it was actually faked on purpose. My point is: Her throw was shorter than actually measured. There are problems witht the laser measurement, indeed. If the meaures are too short, you run a protest a against it. I think, the laser measurement here was wrong but nobody protested against it as the measurement showed a better result than it actually was. Or the contestants did't noticed it, I don't know.

Teams that lose out with bad decisions protest all the time - that's what happened in the hammer just today.  There are literally dozens of coaches in the stands, all filming the action and replaying it in real time.

Edited by Grassmarket

Teams that lose out with bad decisions protest all the time - that's what happened in the hammer just today.  There are literally dozens of coaches in the stands, all filming the action and replaying it in real time.

I would have thought the same. So what do you think happened here?

Lines on the grass were not drawn with the correct degree of curvature. 

Possible ofc. But as I said, I didn't get that impression for other throws. And: The lines which are put on the grass are surely international standardized and they are not really a matter of local organizers or the laser technique. Whatever, we'll never know. It was just suspicious, even considering she had improved by more than half a meter with that throw. That's nothing against KJT (or the British in general, if you might think that - as you got something against the German as you said ;-) ), she is a great athlete and deserves any medal.