website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

29 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Well they are limiting how long you can be at the village for, so its not likely to hit close to 10k at a time.

The suggested guidelines I saw are arrive 5 days before, depart no more than 2 days after completion of your event.

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

This has been bugging me for a while. I don't understand why the number of athletes has not been reduced in any significant way. In my opinion, it would be very important to guarantee that the athletes who will attend the games will be monitored 100% of the time. Can they monitor ten thousand people? I'm not so sure. Some athletes will find a way to get out no matter what. Just remember what Lochte did in Rio. Some, if not most, will find a way to have sex. Ten thousand people is A LOT to deal with. Why not make compromises?

2 things here..

1) How could they limit the number of athletes?  Who are they telling they're not allowed to come to the Olympics due to trying to limiting the number of people who are there?  As noted, everyone will be encouraged to not hang around that long, so there will likely be some athlete who are gone a couple of days after the Opening Ceremony and others who might not arrive until the 2nd week of the Games.

2) You can't compare Tokyo this summer to Rio in 2016.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Rio has a pretty strong nightlife scene.  Definitely a place to party.  Tokyo normally would be, but it certainly won't be this summer when the athletes are in town.  Much less opportunity to have a situation where an athlete does something crazy or regrettable.  Sure, athletes will probably hook up with each other, but if they're doing that in the village and they don't have COVID in the first place (which they'll be tested for frequently), that's not going to be the kind of super-spreader event some are fearing.

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

This has been bugging me for a while. I don't understand why the number of athletes has not been reduced in any significant way. In my opinion, it would be very important to guarantee that the athletes who will attend the games will be monitored 100% of the time. Can they monitor ten thousand people? I'm not so sure. Some athletes will find a way to get out no matter what. Just remember what Lochte did in Rio. Some, if not most, will find a way to have sex. Ten thousand people is A LOT to deal with. Why not make compromises?

The only compromise other than not having to many people in the Olympic village at the same time that even seems remotely possible for me is having some of the events take place in a different country. Otherwise it's all or nothing. You can't simply say to a number of athletes that they have to stay home even though they were already qualified.

9 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

Kei Nishikori has also spoken out about the games..

Another tennis player, what a surprise.

Btw, are you paid by some NOlympics movement to post this stuff all over the intenet every day or did you only join this forum to conduct a sort of social experiment, trying to gauge people's reactions ? If it's the latter, I think you should pay us as participants in your study :mumble:

11 hours ago, DaniSRB said:

Maybe Japanese people simply don't want vacciness? Vaccinated people also can get covid and even finish in hospital

Without starting a discussion about vaccination. The point of vaccinating is not to stop people getting the virus, which is impossible, but to stop or at least highly reduce the more serious/dangerous illnesses. If we reach the point, where the virus is really nothing more but a cold, we have won.  

I guess the Tokyo2020 organizers can learn from what happened in Budapest: the biggest enemies of the bubble are the athletes themselves. An emergency exit of one of the hotels was open, and a couple of foreign athletes at the Aquatics ECh used this opportunity to go outside of the bubble. The athletes got away with it with a warning, and now the exit is sealed off. Next time they will get more than just a warning. I am sure that some athletes will do the same thing in Tokyo, not everyone respects the rules. 

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

I guess the Tokyo2020 organizers can learn from what happened in Budapest: the biggest enemies of the bubble are the athletes themselves. An emergency exit of one of the hotels was open, and a couple of foreign athletes at the Aquatics ECh used this opportunity to go outside of the bubble. The athletes got away with it with a warning, and now the exit is sealed off. Next time they will get more than just a warning. I am sure that some athletes will do the same thing in Tokyo, not everyone respects the rules. 

Quite a lot of global sport stars are either Covid deniers so that won’t be a surprise.

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

IOC member, Olympic champion swimmer Dániel Gyurta said in a new interview that there's no question about that the Olympic Games will be held this year. 

IOC's Dick Pound says Tokyo Olympics to move ahead despite pandemic concerns | CBC Sports

Echoed by by Richard Pound