website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They seem to want everything early in the day or later in the day aside from hockey and curling.  I don't get why they do that, and obviously it wasn't just PyeongChang that operated that way

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s about airing television coverage at the peak times when target audiences are most likely to watch the events. Biathlon for the Europeans, Freeski/Snowboard for the Americans and Canadians. Skating at a time that works for all three. 

That’s my best guess anyway.

Yeah, i too reckon that TV priorities are the main reason. NBC will of course want their US main events like snowboard, alpine and figure skating in their primetime. Likewise with Europe and biathlon, ski-jumping, hockey. At least with hockey, you can somewhat split it, with US/Canada matches in the morning to accommodate their market and European games at the evening. 

Another reason, though not very prominent in 2020, is the optimal use of the daylight for the outdoor sport. Thankfully with the flood lights we can now have events like jumping, biathlon, some freeski, snowboard or alpine events going at night, otherwise everything could have been jammed in 6-7 hours a day.

And also, again not very top priority reason in these times, but schedules are also taking in account for attendances availability. You try not to schedule many things in the middle of the day, when the majority of people are at work and you try to make it more convenient for them.

And even so, it can be managed to have a schedule with fewer gaps... 

USA and Germany surely wanted their events in prime time and people surely were working before 2014 already though :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yeah, i too reckon that TV priorities are the main reason. NBC will of course want their US main events like snowboard, alpine and figure skating in their primetime. Likewise with Europe and biathlon, ski-jumping, hockey. At least with hockey, you can somewhat split it, with US/Canada matches in the morning to accommodate their market and European games at the evening. 

Another reason, though not very prominent in 2020, is the optimal use of the daylight for the outdoor sport. Thankfully with the flood lights we can now have events like jumping, biathlon, some freeski, snowboard or alpine events going at night, otherwise everything could have been jammed in 6-7 hours a day.

And also, again not very top priority reason in these times, but schedules are also taking in account for attendances availability. You try not to schedule many things in the middle of the day, when the majority of people are at work and you try to make it more convenient for them.

And even so, it can be managed to have a schedule with fewer gaps... 

They've been pushing having events at night for awhile now.  I recall some of the technical alpine events in 2006 in Torino being a night.  So that's no longer a restricution.

Yes, at this point most things are optimized for attendance.  So each sport/event is looking out for themselves for the most part rather than trying to fit into the bigger picture of the whole schedule

16 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They've been pushing having events at night for awhile now.  I recall some of the technical alpine events in 2006 in Torino being a night.  So that's no longer a restricution.

Yes, at this point most things are optimized for attendance.  So each sport/event is looking out for themselves for the most part rather than trying to fit into the bigger picture of the whole schedule

Weather conditions could also still play a role in scheduling. I know that some of the venues reportedly have to rely on artificial snow, which could explain why you’d stack events in the early morning and evening (cooler parts of the day).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Weather conditions could also still play a role in scheduling. I know that some of the venues reportedly have to rely on artificial snow, which could explain why you’d stack events in the early morning and evening (cooler parts of the day).

Fair point.  We know PyeongChang ran into a ton of issues with the alpine venues because they didn't anticipate the wind conditions.  Not sure if there are any sort of similar concerns with Beijing.

Somewhat sad state of affairs with the Olympics that they are potentially trying to avoid the middle of the day because it's not cold enough.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

what a revolution in the biathlon schedule, starting with mixed relay on day 1 followed by individuals, the sprints on days 7 and 8 + both pursuits day 9 and finishing this time with the mass starts day 14 & 15

Also sadly, I see again many many many events scheduled at the same time :( oh well, beautiful Vancouver 2010 where are you ?

it's the same lineup of events of Torino 2006 (except for the fact that the Mixed Relay wasn't in the Olympic Program at that time)...:evil: ;)

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

it's the same lineup of events of Torino 2006 (except for the gact that the Mixed Relay wasn't in the Olympic Program at that time)...:evil: ;)

Ah cool, I don´t remember Torino very well apart the Ice hockey epic journey in the preliminary round ofc...you surely know what I am speaking about. That fucking Marián Gáborík´s absolutely delirious era...

but now, when you reminded me that, yeah it vaguely reappears in my mind 

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sochi wasn't as bad as PyeongChang.  They had events in the middle of the day.  The hockey schedule was bad, but the rest was okay.  Sadly, that trend has continued over the last 3 Olympics.  Maybe by 2026 they'll finally get it right again!

I fear you'll be very disappointed...

looking at the preliminary schedule (the one included in the candidature file, which normally is already a decent preview of what's gonna happen later on), it's basically a replay of Torino 2006, with all the snow events in the morning/early afternoon (local time), as Antholz nor Val di Fiemme normally don't use artificial lights on the tracks and all races in those places are held early in the day...

at night (local) there will be only Luge, Hockey, Ski Jumping, Figure Skating and Short Track Speedskating and a couple of random events from other disciplines (alpine skiing slaloms, I think)...

basically, it will be a perfect edition for Asian viewers rather than Europeans (not to mention those in North America)...

and I don't expect many changes to happen when the final schedule is going to be released...:facepalm: :wall: :hairpull:

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Ah cool, I don´t remember Torino very well apart the Ice hockey epic journey in the preliminary round ofc...you surely know what I am speaking about. That fucking Marián Gáborík´s absolutely delirious era...

but now, when you reminded me that, yeah it vaguely reappears in my mind 

how could I forget those epic hockey games? (especially that Slovakia vs Russia, one of the best hockey games ever in the history of the sport) ;)