website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 News

12 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

My thoughts exactly.  During PyeongChang, way too many times of the day where there was very little going on and they're doing the same thing here.  Yes, I definitely miss Vancouver where all the hockey games were spaced out and not going on simultaneously.

Exactly. Vancouver was just epic, I remember how I enjoyed watching ALL events during the games,

I remember it very well, every night from 19:00 to 08:00, everything was schedulled perfectly, it was impossible to miss a single thing... since Sochi everything went wrong

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I remember there were hours during Pyeongchang 2018 where I was playing a game during the (Korean) day. That says it all, I really don't have time to play a game for even 5 minutes during well-planned Olympics..

I created a big spreadsheet to help plan out all my viewing.  I couldn't believe how many times there were massive gaps with little to know competition going on.  Very disappointing to see Beijing largely follow that template, particularly with the hockey schedule

4 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Man you can not even imagine how many times I watched, re-watched and re-re-watched the whole 2010 games., like day by day, event by event...

yes, I know, there something wrong with me..I watched this match for example already 5 times https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaP672-eEFM :lol:

Those replays might be the greatest single factor as to why I love multi-sports games. I grew up watching the Biathlon events :d

I haven’t really watched any of those replays since before Sochi 2014 though, and I’m starting to feel like this the perfect year/winter to relive some old memories.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Exactly. Vancouver was just epic, I remember how I enjoyed watching ALL events during the games,

I remember it very well, every night from 19:00 to 08:00, everything was schedulled perfectly, it was impossible to miss a single thing... since Sochi everything went wrong

Sochi wasn't as bad as PyeongChang.  They had events in the middle of the day.  The hockey schedule was bad, but the rest was okay.  Sadly, that trend has continued over the last 3 Olympics.  Maybe by 2026 they'll finally get it right again!

9 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

These schedules are never to my satisfaction, so nothing new here. Even with the extra day(s) and fewer sports than the Summer, they still can't make a cohesive one with non-stop events..

They seem to want everything early in the day or later in the day aside from hockey and curling.  I don't get why they do that, and obviously it wasn't just PyeongChang that operated that way

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

They seem to want everything early in the day or later in the day aside from hockey and curling.  I don't get why they do that, and obviously it wasn't just PyeongChang that operated that way

It’s about airing television coverage at the peak times when target audiences are most likely to watch the events. Biathlon for the Europeans, Freeski/Snowboard for the Americans and Canadians. Skating at a time that works for all three. 

That’s my best guess anyway.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s about airing television coverage at the peak times when target audiences are most likely to watch the events. Biathlon for the Europeans, Freeski/Snowboard for the Americans and Canadians. Skating at a time that works for all three. 

That’s my best guess anyway.

Ehh... figure skating works a lot better for North America than it does for Europe where it's being held in the middle of the night.  No coincidence that's being held in the morning in Beijing.

You're probably right on all that.  It's largely the individual sport federations setting their schedules.  Still shouldn't leave as many gaps in the action as it does.  Again, Vancouver didn't have that issue, particularly with the hockey schedules where all the games were spaced out

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Ehh... figure skating works a lot better for North America than it does for Europe where it's being held in the middle of the night.  No coincidence that's being held in the morning in Beijing.

You're probably right on all that.  It's largely the individual sport federations setting their schedules.  Still shouldn't leave as many gaps in the action as it does.  Again, Vancouver didn't have that issue, particularly with the hockey schedules where all the games were spaced out

The PCT time zone doesn’t work particularly well for either Asia or Europe, which probably gave the LOC more freedom.

Time zone worked out really well for California though :p

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The PCT time zone doesn’t work particularly well for either Asia or Europe, which probably gave the LOC more freedom.

Time zone worked out really well for California though :p

Well, we also know whose television preferences run the show.  And we know that's not coming from Asia or Europe