website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

They have the right to send one individual gymnast no matter where their gymnasts place in the all-around. But this was a rough competition. They will not qualify a full team for sure, which is sad. Not even Lytwyn could have saved them after this disastrous performance.

The top 20 countries represented by 1 or 2 gymnasts (i.e., not teams) in the all-around will qualify for sure. Other individual quotas may be given depending on a few things (Romania qualifying a full team, for example). Since we have had 12 countries competing with individuals so far, there are still 20 countries to go and no one is officially qualified yet. But I'd say COL, ARM, CRO and AZE will qualify for sure. LTU, POR and GRE have a good shot. ARG is in trouble now, but Nicolas can still make it.

I can't find on the qualification document any provision about teams finishing 5th to 8th being granted one individual athlete... all it says is that for individual spots you have to consider the results of CI.

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'm not much of a gymnastics expert but I guess only Ukraine has a chance for team quota in last subdivision?

I don't think that Belgium and Netherlands are good enough. :dunno:

that's what I thought, as tomorrow I would say girls: Germany, Korea, France and Romania

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

I'm not much of a gymnastics expert but I guess only Ukraine has a chance for team quota in last subdivision?

Netherlands actually finished eleventh at the World Championships, ahead of Ukraine, Spain and Romania. On the other hand, Romania and Spain have already more points today than Netherlands at the World Championships.

@Benolympique Your women have a good chance to qualify.

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

Our team definitely has a chance as well, especially since Yuri van Gelder isn't here now (like at the World Championships) and there's an actual all-round gymnast in his place. Obviously we won't beat the Germans and beating the French doesn't seem very likely neither, but the Romanians might be possible, the Spanish should be possible and the Belgians shouldn't cause major problems. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I can't find on the qualification document any provision about teams finishing 5th to 8th being granted one individual athlete... all it says is that for individual spots you have to consider the results of CI.

Yes, I also couldn't find anything regarding this matter. It seems that teams ranked 5th to 8th at the test event are not guaranteed of a spot at the Olympics - they need to have an all-arounder in qualifying position, and then the quota is allocated to the NOC (which can choose any athlete to go to the Games).