website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

3 hours ago, Morten Jensen said:

In rowing a man can be a coxswain in W8+, and the other way in M8+.

That’s more an acknowledgment that the gender of the coxwain doesn’t matter than anything else.

But ya, in Tokyo for the first time two men ( :NZL Caleb Shepherd and :CHN Zhang Dechang) actually won medals in women’s events, which is def an interesting piece of trivia.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2017 at 1:48 PM, ahjfcshfghb said:

Also my Top 20 Picks for LA 2028:

(Most likely to get there. I’ll update it every year if I don’t forget :p)

1) Baseball/Softball (obviously interest will be huge)

2) Surfing (established and huge part of LA culture)

3) Skateboarding/Roller Sports (same as Surfing)

4) Lacrosse (fastest growing sport in US, popular among youth, growing globally, Olympic history)

5) Mixed Martial Arts (most popular spectator martial art in US, amateur competition growing)

6) American Football (over 100 federations, most popular US sport)

7) Sports Climbing (established, not as popular in the US though as other sports)

8) Bowling (very popular activity, accessible to anyone, used to be huge spectator sport but viewership is down)

9) Karate (established, may face competition with MMA, but still very popular)

10) Powerlifting (to replace Weightlifting if doping problems don’t go away, which isn’t unlikely)

11) Jai Alai (US name for Basque Pelota, played often, large Mexican population in LA as well, federation needs to grow though)

12) Wakeboarding (also popular in LA but will likely have to compete with Surfing)

13) Pool/Snooker (sport huge, not necessarily among youth though)

14) Wushu (not specifically US or youth, but may be added for a change if MMA doesn’t work)

15) Netball (US is growing in this sport, huge lobby in Commonwealth countries, women-only)

16) Floorball (global youthful sport but not much in US)

17) Bodybuilding (at Pan Am Games, though many consider it not a real spectator sport)

18) Racquetball (at Pan Ams, but too many racket sports already)

19) Dance sports (at YOG, somewhat unique)

20) Polo (it’s a fun, special sport, could find appeal in time)

This aged very well considering it was posted in 2017. I was reading through some of the old Paris 2024 threads, and came across it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

This aged very well considering it was posted in 2017. I was reading through some of the old Paris 2024 threads, and came across it.

Got all 3 added North American team sports predicated but didn’t put Squash in the top 20. Just shows how poorly squash was treated in previous bids.

Wish it was in Paris so we could put a glass squash box inside the Louvre’s glass pyramid.

3 hours ago, Book said:

Got all 3 added North American team sports predicated but didn’t put Squash in the top 20. Just shows how poorly squash was treated in previous bids.

Wish it was in Paris so we could put a glass squash box inside the Louvre’s glass pyramid.

I think even the Squash folks were shocked their sport was included in the Olympics

8 hours ago, NearPup said:

I think even the Squash folks were shocked their sport was included in the Olympics

It is bizarre - not least because the sport has hotspots on four continents historically. I often wondered in some bigwig at the IOC had caught a squash player in flagrente delicto with his better half and swore a blood vow they were never getting in.

Not unlike Badminton, Sports climbing and skateboarding - once it's in, I would be shocked if it leaves; the Aussies like it too, and the fancy glass wall version designed for tv actually looks good. Just a few tweaks and commentary fixes needed, specifically explaining the let rule with examples, and show the tactics around it.