website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Sports Programme

Yeah, it's not as easy as calling a new sport and asking them if they want to be in the Olympics. At the very least, the IOC would have to open up a proposal phase, have a review, select the sport and then approve the qualification process.

With that said I am not convinced boxing/weightlifting will be removed. The two sport federations will do the bare minimum to stay.

1 hour ago, prso1000 said:

Please no karate, I was very much in favor before as Croatia has few good fighters. But after watching karate for the first time, I think it is the most boring and totally non-sense combat sport. 

Karate, the only combat sport where you can win by being knocked out xD

I actually liked the kata event, but kumite was imo the worst event in the Tokyo Olympics.

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, Dmitry said:

A new session for the team event in the artistic swimming confirmed.

https://twitter.com/fina1908/status/1592479617897889792

There's also the strong rumour that up to 2 men will be allowed per team in Paris.

The FINA rules have been changed to allow this but not yet the Olympic qualification rules.

But that could still change

12 minutes ago, Dragon said:

There's also the strong rumour that up to 2 men will be allowed per team in Paris.

The FINA rules have been changed to allow this but not yet the Olympic qualification rules.

That would ruin the 50/50 gender split for the Olympics so I think it will be unlikely unless they compensate it elsewhere.

35 minutes ago, Dragon said:

That seems like a pretty important step for the long term survival of artistic swimming as an Olympic sport given agenda 2020 tbh. Wouldn‘t be surprised if in a decade or two it becomes a 50/50 split.

https://resources.fina.org/fina/document/2022/11/01/4b3598b6-18cd-411e-ac09-16e49965df3a/00-AS-Rules-2022-2025-Confirmed.pdf

AS 6.2 Team, Free Combination and Acrobatic Routines: AS 6.2.1

"For Olympic Games, team routines shall consist of eight (8) competitors. The total number of competitors entered by each Federation (unless otherwise specified) may not exceed nine (9) competitors one as reserve. The total number of competitors may include a maximum of two (2) male competitors."

9 minutes ago, NearPup said:

That seems like a pretty important step for the long term survival of artistic swimming as an Olympic sport given agenda 2020 tbh. Wouldn‘t be surprised if in a decade or two it becomes a 50/50 split.

Yeah, artistic swimming/FINA has seen the writing on the wall for a long time. While everything is now balance in terms of total athletes there are still imbalances within sports with football, Greco-Roman wrestling and water polo having more men and artistic swimming and rhythmic gymnastics having more women.

The push for equality in the men's events has slowly created a counter push for equality in the women's events which now holds more ground given the equal overall athlete quotas. Any reduction of men's quotas (or increase of women's quotas) will have to be met with a counter response on the women's side.

Artistic swimming has done a lot of work in preparation for when the IOC drops the hammer. If the IOC ever decides to grant women's water polo the extra 22 quotas, I expect to see artistic swimming flip to mixed duets and teams (with teams of 6/7 women and 2/1 men).

Rhythmic gymnastics on the other hand has done nothing, maybe they expect football to always be imbalanced?