website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 2/25/2022 at 7:21 PM, Makedonas said:

Greece beat Turkey 72-71. It seems like we always find a way to beat Turkey in basketball no matter what. We have a really good record against them from memory. Sadly, I'm not sure if this record will remain as we play them again on Monday, in Turkey.

We beat Turkey again, good thing I was wrong :d

Croatia came from behind to beat Sweden in OT. They are now 1-3 instead of 0-4. This win probably saved their qualification chances, for now at least.

• 3 months later...

The final window of the first round is underway.

Yesterday Uruguay lost to Brazil 73-60.

I couldn't watch the match because it was exclusive to DirecTV, whereas I have cable TV. State internet provider Antel didn't buy any rights.

Third time watching team sports in person and third time that the home sode failed to win. :lol:

This one was rather painful as the comfortable lead of 78:70 somehow got squandered in the last 90 seconds. Gazillion missed free throws. Finally ended with Bogdanović missing 3pt, Zubac getting a foul on rebound and of course missing both FTs. FTs in the last 90 seconds were 1/8 or something. :p

#banbestmen

In the FIBA Americas qualifier, four teams are out: Chile, Paraguay, Cuba and US Virgin Islands.

For the second phase, the two groups will be:

• Group E: Canada, Venezuela, Argentina, Panama, Dominican Republic, Bahamas.
  • Group F: United States, Mexico, Brazil, Uruguay, Puerto Rico, Colombia.

Poland went from World Cup QF in 2019 to finishing dead last in the 2023 qualifying group :lol: Now we'll have to play EuroBasket pre-qualifying :wacko:

Arguments about money, Adam Waczynski being banned by the head of the federation contributed to a swift downfall of hope. Back to irrelevance we go.

Having 8 quotas (6 + 2 hosts) for Asia/Oceania is really generous and yet our team most probably will fail to qualify :cry:

we used to beat Kazakhstan by 30pts but this time Iran managed to lose twice to this team :facepalm: and it's not like Kazakhstan improved a lot. first defeat was OK, we missed some key players and Kazakhs had a dream day from behind the arc but this time in this window we gathered all we had and everybody was confident that we will beat Kazakhstan handily but it was another humiliating defeat, Iran also set a new World Record in failed 3 pointers, our guys finished the game 0 of 19 from 3 points line :hairpull: (even our U16 girls' team could do better)

Kazakhstan losing to Bahrain in the last game gave us as little hope but still I can't see this team winning 3 or 4 games in the next round, they have to win 2 at very least to stay alive.

Korea's disqualification and Iran's extremely poor performance made the 2nd round predictable, I believe NZ, Lebanon, Jordan, Australia, China and Kazakhstan will qualify from Asia alongside those 2 hosts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...