website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This, by the way, was the last significant bit of fireworks in the Netherlands in the foreseeable future, since the government has imposed a fireworks ban for the upcoming holiday period :p 

Just a sidenote right there.

I do understand given the war environment that one experience during the new years eve here. 

Although I love it, you get fireworks from EVERYWHERE for like 2, 3, or more hours, it's amazing! (but also a bit dangerous, trying to cycle during this time in Amsterdam feels like you can get hit by some bomb at any time haha)

For those who thinks i'm overreacting, just take a look

Something I have to point out... There will be only three Committee members at this edition! Three!

:ISR (#1)

:ITA (#3)

:CHN (#9)

If all goes well, we may know the winner by vote #9... And if not, could this spell the final downfall of the Committee?

#banbestmen

Just now, heywoodu said:

Well, whatever we call it, she is princess and she is called queen, that's just how it is :p It doesn't matter much and I think 95% of the Dutch people don't know it, that's how little it matters.

Just to say her full title: Her Majesty Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau.

She might not be titled "Queen of the Netherlands", but she is a queen.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Anyone waiting for a snack?

During the proceedings of tonight, all those present will be enjoying a light snack which has been a staple of Dutch festivities for ages: the bitterbal, a meaty little fried snack. Not to worry, they're not actually bitter at all, the name comes from a very strong alcoholic drink - a bitter - which in earlier times was often accompanied by these snacks.

The insides of bitterballen are generally very hot, so take care not to burn your mouth when biting into one a tad too enthusiastically. The inside is made with a mix of several kinds of meat, which has been made into a sort of very thick stew, while the outside is a crunchy and also very tasty crust. They're generally served with mustard and we'll make sure to have a good amount of bowls ready for everyone!

bitterballen-uitgelicht.jpg

The inside of a bitterbal will not always look exactly the same, but the general idea is that it's meaty...not to worry, there's plenty more!

We used to do (on those times in the past where we could have a life) a prank to all newcomers from foreign lands in my team: give them a bitterballen and tell them you just put it in the mouth and eat it at once :lol:

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

That's what I've gone for, yes. Since there's a few major producers in the Netherlands and all are called 'sewage water' or 'owl piss' by the fans of the opposing brands, so...yeah, Belgian beer it is :d

And wine. There's lots of wine. Also port, which is basically stronger wine.

I might be biased because it comes from Portugal, but it's my favourite, so sweet and good! (always bring a bottle when i come back from Lisbon haha)

2 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

I do understand given the war environment that one experience during the new years eve here. 

Although I love it, you get fireworks from EVERYWHERE for like 2, 3, or more hours, it's amazing! (but also a bit dangerous, trying to cycle during this time in Amsterdam feels like you can get hit by some bomb at any time haha)

For those who thinks i'm overreacting, just take a look

The one time I was in Amsterdam during New Year's Eve I can only describe as hell, never again :lol: 

I'm not at all a fan of the fireworks and explosives being set off in the days (and weeks) leading up to 31 December, but I have always liked the first hour or so after midnight, especially a few minutes after midnight when people start going outside and setting off their fireworks everywhere in town :cheer: As a kid I used to go up to my room to have a look over the town first, before going outside to set off our own fireworks :d 

You've been in the Netherlands for a while now, have you heard of carbidschieten? That shit suuuuuuuuuuuucks. It makes the windows shake and ground tremble...it's mostly popular in rural areas, you know, like the exact part of the Veluwe where I live :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Just to say her full title: Her Majesty Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau.

She might not be titled "Queen of the Netherlands", but she is a queen.

She is being called queen. It's not 100% official, it's what she is called (according to the Royal Family's website, which I'd say is the authority on the people of the Royal Family). She has kept her personal titles, Princess of the Netherlands and Princess of Orange-Nassau.

Nobody, including me, will stop you or anyone from calling her queen though, I call her queen myself :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

We used to do (on those times in the past where we could have a life) a prank to all newcomers from foreign lands in my team: give them a bitterballen and tell them you just put it in the mouth and eat it at once :lol:

Oh that is cruel :yikes: 

15 minutes ago, dcro said:

Something I have to point out... There will be only three Committee members at this edition! Three!

:ISR (#1)

:ITA (#3)

:CHN (#9)

If all goes well, we may know the winner by vote #9... And if not, could this spell the final downfall of the Committee?

You just don't get it!