website statistics

Cricket Discussion Thread

Quasit

today it's also the Super-Final's day for the Vitality Blast T-20, the top European league in this format...

Worcestershire (147/9) has just beaten Nottinghamshire (146/5, full 20 overs) in the first semifinal, meanwhile Derbyshire and Essex are set to start their semifinal match in an hour or so...

the Grand Final is scheduled for tonight, 7.45 p.m. BST (8.45 p.m. CET)...

On 21/09/2019 at 16:38, phelps said:

today it's also the Super-Final's day for the Vitality Blast T-20, the top European league in this format...

Worcestershire (147/9) has just beaten Nottinghamshire (146/5, full 20 overs) in the first semifinal, meanwhile Derbyshire and Essex are set to start their semifinal match in an hour or so...

the Grand Final is scheduled for tonight, 7.45 p.m. BST (8.45 p.m. CET)...

Essex won the final but my hopes to see Wiltshire at this level too are hopeless, I think. :lol:

16 hours ago, CestaKago said:

Essex won the final but my hopes to see Wiltshire at this level too are hopeless, I think. :lol:

Only one county (Durham) has been elevated to first class status in nearly a hundred years so I'm afraid you're almost certainly correct.

• 2 months later...

:ITA Italy won 211/6 to 210 against :KEN in the first match of the first round of the ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge, the initial step of the qualification pathway towards the India 2023 World Cup...:cheer:

:ITA Italy started on defense and were able to contain :KEN Kenya's bats to a reasonable score, eliminating all of their batsmen in the last over of the 1st inning...

then, debutant Nikolai Leonard Smith (Irish born, but with Italian mother, therefore eligible for our team) put on a show in the 2nd inning, becoming the first Italian player to score a 100 (102 not out, to be precise) in the first ever match under our Flag and leading the team to easily reach the target and win the match against all odds...

this is also the first time ever that :ITA Italy defeat a team that in the past has played at least once the "true" world cup (:KEN Kenya reached the semifinals in 2003)...

37 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

How do scores work? I see scores like 211/6 and I always think "what the hell is this supposed to mean?"

In this specific example, 211 / 6 simply means that during their innings the batting team scored 211 runs and lost 6 batsmen during the innings.

So the number on the left refers to the number of runs scored (211) and the number on the right means the number of players dismissed (6).

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

How do scores work? I see scores like 211/6 and I always think "what the hell is this supposed to mean?"

if you don't know how a cricket match is structured, it's actually quite difficult to understand...

but let's try with the example of this match I've posted the score...

basically, a cricket match is divided in 2 main phases (called "innings"), each one has a team playing on defence (the team "bowling", where there's one player -the "bowler"/the "pitcher" of baseball- throwing the ball to the batsmen and all the other players placed on the field trying to catch the balls hit by those batsmen), trying to avoid the other team, playing on offense, to score points ("runs")...

in today's case, Italy started on defense and allowed Kenya to score 210 runs before eliminating all of their batsmen (an inning ends when all batsmen are out or when the number of scheduled balls have been completed), then, when Italy went on offense, they had to score at least 211 runs to win the match...and they did it before the end of the scheduled balls and before all of their batsmen were eliminated...

so the score is written like this: Italy 211/6 because they scored 211 runs having only 6 eliminated batsmen (10 outs are required to end the inning) beat Kenia 210 (because they scored 210 runs with all of their batsmen out)...

when the team playing offense first wins, instead, the final score reports the name of the winning team by X wickets, where X is 10 (the outs needed to complete an inning) minus the number of outs actually suffered by the winning team in their offensive inning...

so, following today's example, if Italy had played their offensive inning first (and assuming they won with the same score), the score would have been just "Italy win by 4 wickets" because they would have had still 4 eliminations to take advantage of when their offensive inning ended and Kenia would have had all of their batsmen out before reaching the target score set by Italy...

I know, it's not that easy at first sight...

Edited by phelps

Super helpful @phelps. Thanks for the breakdown. Cricket actually makes more sense to me now (and that’s after reading Wikipedia, etc.)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So winning by 1 wicket is a close match (potentially) and winning by 9 wickets is utter destruction?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

So winning by 1 wicket is a close match (potentially) and winning by 9 wickets is utter destruction?

In theory winning by one wicket is close, but that batsmen could have scored 30 more runs potentially. 9 wickets would be a bad, bad lose from my understanding.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela