website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Have I not talked about the period of life where racing (NASCAR, and ALMS) was my everything? There’s also a yearly NASCAR race in the LA area at California Speedway.

Nope. Fontana was a great track for IndyCar. It's a complete boredom in NASCAR :mad: (same with Michigan).

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Nope. Fontana was a great track for IndyCar. It's a complete boredom in NASCAR :mad: (same with Michigan).

A story to tell some other time then. Yeah the races at Fontana are hella boring. It was still fun to go once a year for about 10 years. I stopped liking NASCAR around 2014/2015. I’d say international sports widely replaced my love racing. I don’t wake up at 4-5AM to watch F1 anymore, and I don’t watch Outlaws, Monster Energy Cup, NASCAR, IndyCar, or Aussie Supercars anymore.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not too many games of indoor football, but we’ve had multiple artificial trees over the years, and we keep all of our decorations. We’ve lost a few here and there, but it’s always fun to decorate the tree and reminisce about past times. I’d imagine our traditions are very similar since my mom’s side of the family has the name of Avery. We’ve traced that side of the tree back to Ellis Island (New York Customs Station), and the English part of the that side to the Revolutionary War. In fact, one of my great, great, great, etc. family members was a general in Massachusetts (and there’s a statue of him in his home town to this day). Not really sure about some of the details on the Irish side, it’s been a while since I’ve looked at the research. My dad’s side is Scandinavian/German. Supposedly our family name, Nelsen, is of Danish origin, but I can’t really prove that at this point (but maybe @Wumo or @Agger could testify to it’s Danishness). I do know that my great grandmother spoke Norwegian, and that when that side of the family came through Ellis Island it was actually split. One brother was given the “Danish” spelling of Nelsen, and the other brother got the English version, Nelson. With all that tradition though, my family largely chooses to forget it all.

Hmm. Nelsen isn't really usual, though it does exist (actually only one person has that surname now). Nielsen is however the most normal surname in Denmark. Could it be that?

29 minutes ago, Agger said:

Hmm. Nelsen isn't really usual, though it does exist (actually only one person has that surname now). Nielsen is however the most normal surname in Denmark. Could it be that?

I’ve wondered that forever, and I really have no clue. There’s no record of a Nielsen in the known family, but that could have been an immigration mistake. Maybe the name is Norwegian or Prussian then?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve wondered that forever, and I really have no clue. There’s no record of a Nielsen in the known family, but that could have been an immigration mistake. Maybe the name is Norwegian or Prussian then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_(surname)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark–Norway

Duh! Obviously ethnic Norwegians lived in the modern day Denmark and vice versa for centuries. Nelsen must be the Anglicized version of the name which is mainly Danish these days. It's really simple to explain.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_(surname)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark–Norway

Duh! Obviously ethnic Norwegians lived in the modern day Denmark and vice versa for centuries. Nelsen must be the Anglicized version of the name which is mainly Danish these days. It's really simple to explain.

Yeah I could see that. US immigration officials were also notorious for screwing up names back then.

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

Well, considering the first king of Norway after dissolving the personal union with Sweden was simply the younger brother of the Danish heir...

Unfortunately I do not think I come from royalty. Long tradition of military (that I’m going to gladly kill), but much royalty I’m afraid. I think @Monzanator had a solid theory, and the name could very well just be an odd one, or an amalgamation or similar northern names.

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

Is this one of your random confessions? :p. It is oddly relaxing I must say.