website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Are there also reasons other than 'I dont like this sport, remove it'? :d 

This sounds like a step towards the ancient Olympics and at some point only having the stade and 1 wrestling competition left :p 

Haha it would still probably be  300+ events after my changes?

sports not mentioned would still be kept untouched.:d

a few exemples

swimming - no need to explain

Canoe slalom- how many people do that compared to how expensive the arena must be, when there are long distance events we could add instead

track cycling - expensive arena and a very unavailable type of cycling that we don't need when we already have other cycling sports

mixed team events: all mixed team events that are only invented by their sports federation because they know it is the best way to get another event accepted by IOC has no real reason to be there. I mean for those sports that are really individual sports mostly just combinimg scores from each individual. A mixed doubles is another thing, but mixed shooting is as un necessary as a mixed team high jump or discus Throw.

Edited by Swewi

3 hours ago, Triplecast said:

But World Aquatics has made a request to add the 50 meter races in the strokes,  That would add six races to the program.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

They do that every four years apparently and it always gets shot down, as it should :p 

Keep all that stuff and add whatever in the sport's own world championships, fine, but stop exaggerating in the Olympics..

the problem is that they're not offering anything as a counterpart...

just ask for that compensating with: no more synchronized diving and artistic swimming (or, at least, no more duets, keeping groups only); and in the pool, no more 800m freestyle (both genders, of course) and switch the mixed gender relay to open water swimming (where it makes a lot more sense)

I'm sure that in such case IOC would be more open to the proposal, but if they just keep adding only, there's no way it would be taken into consideration

sadly, gotta say that I don't agree with almost anything written here...

I think that most people here would make a lot more damage to the Olympic Games than the 1976 Fencing Olympic Champion himself :hairpull:

and no, I'm not gonna repeat myself on "my personal Olympic schedule", I've already done it in the past and nothing happened to make myself change my mind...actually, the Paris Games have enforced my ideas more than ever :pope:

p.s. most of you already know what I think of the non-sport activities that have inflated the Olympic schedule and that should be the first things to be removed to make more room for the true great sports...no need to go further on this thread :p

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

I think that most people here would make a lot more damage to the Olympic Games than the 1976 Fencing Olympic Champion himself :hairpull:

Totally agreed :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Swewi said:

Canoe slalom- how many people do that compared to how expensive the arena must be, when there are long distance events we could add instead

That goes for several sports though. For example for rowing one needs a 2km long flat and straight part, which isn't a river, and which can be difficult to have anywhere nearby. Meanwhile, it's a sport that a super low number of people can even afford to do, since simply training in the sport is already massively expensive (thousands of euros even for a single scull that can be somewhat decent).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1) I like seeing new sports at olympics, but I guess total athletes quotas cannot rise substantially, so it allways have some disadvatages and unpopular reductions (for example track cycling - 1km time trial/individual pursuit/points race all gone). While I like olympic village idea, where all athletes from different sports are together - what is exactly problem to have more athletes?  Capacity? Money?

2) Competition format in some sports was quite strange - for example Double sculls rowing -  13 pairs entered, and we had heats and repechages to eliminate just ONE pair, everyone else continued to semifinals. Was it so difficult to add few more teams (or remove one and start with semifinals)?

3) OG should be top event for all athletes - this will probably never work for some sports (and some decisions do not help that - why soccer has age limit??)

Also why there is nation quota limit in some sports? You can be number two in some sport, but you are not allowed to participate because number one is also from your country. In all individual events (and probably also in double/pairs events) country should be allowed up to 3 entries if they are among best on world, so they can fight for medals.

5 hours ago, Swewi said:

Canoe slalom- how many people do that compared to how expensive the arena must be

This one is mainly on IOC and their policy of having everything huge, in exceptional and glittering venues. Such crap.

Canoe Slalom by nature is a sport you need literally some 200 meters of wild water you can find in every river in this planet. The olympic race in Atlanta (Lake Ocoee was still on river and it was/still is considered as the best canoe slalom olympic races ever held. Sydney in 2000 however stunned the world with a super modern artificial Penrith wild water venue and since then it went all wrong, IOC asked hosts to build similar expensive artificial venues beginning in Athens 2004.

If IOC stayed smart and so-green-ecologically thinking institution like they love to be presented, then they would have kept this sport where it belong on rivers, where you do not need anything expensive just a couple of gates and ropes for tying

6 hours ago, Swewi said:

Combat sports:

Never less than 5 kg gap between Weight classes

Never allow Two bronzes. I like the idea of repechage round but just make the Two Winners of those games fight for one medal please.

All racket sports:

Should have a group stage/ranking round or repechage round (still only one bronze) to make the draw a bit less deciding.

Table tennis:

Change mixed doubles to mixed teams

Change teams to doubles

Shooting:

Remove team events

Remove gender divided classes  at least in air Rifle/pistol

Archery:

Remove team events

Athletics:

Change the mixed relay to a longer distance that does not already have a relay.

Remove repechage rounds.

Swimming:

Remove mixed relays or maybe just keep 4x100 Free if that would replace the regular 4x100 Free that would be removed. Only allow one change between heats and final.

Remove semifinals.

Remove 200m medley

Maybe add some 50m strokes

Canoe:

Add longer distances

Remove canoe slalom

Maybe more focus kajak than canoe

Flag football:

Do not add

Equestrian:

Remove dressage

Replace eventing with only the cross country part

Football:

Remove men or at least reduce the teams for men and increase for women.

Basketball:

Remove 3x3

Triathlon:

Could add a distance

Cycling:

add short distance MtB

Maybe remove BMX

Remove track cycling

Modern pentathlon:

Make it a real modern event, maybe decathlon. 

surfing:

remove

Add sport:

Powerlifting (raw): combined and bench press

Also change the rules so Every nation have a chance of having one athlete per weight class (if qualified) in weightlifting. Or remove because some classes might not get a worthy champion.

for all sports I also like to have the athletics rules by 3 per nation. Even if a sport dominated by one country is Boring, how worthy is to be silver or bronze medalist just because the best nation had a limit on 1 or 2?

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

You know America is, like, allowed to compete in diving and in table tennis, right?

The US was in fact the dominant country in Olympic diving for a reeeeeeealy long time. The US lead the all time Diving medal count until these past Olympics, took China that long to overtake y'all. China could have just complained that the Olympics contained too many American-dominates sports like diving, instead of getting really good at said sport.

(Also, I say y'all, but I'm American too so... oh well)

That's all true.   And it's too bad that they so majorly divested from this sport.   I'm guessing one of the reasons is seeing one country domination doesn't really bring a lot of interest in the sport.   So maybe if they keep it they should limit the overall amount of athletes per noc just like in weightlifting.