website statistics

Post Games Analysis | How did your country perform at Paris Olympics 2024?

:ARG 

1. Rate the performance on a scale of 1-10

A 6,5 is good. Delegation number was as expected. Unexpectedly individual athletes did pretty good, some big results with the gold medal in BMX Freestyle, final in Shooting and in Skate, and a 4th place in Canoe. Also, the Sailing individuals were not that bad, and the best of this sport was the silver medal in the Nacra. The medals gained were 3, as expected (regardless of the colour). Scale is not that high because the team sports were bad, Handball and Volley not a single match close of winning, Football with a 2-2 record and out in QF. The only good in terms of teams was the Hockey. Disappointing performances in some sports, especially Tennis. In overall, it could have been a lot worse, so its not that bad.

2. What were the suprises and heartbreaks?

Suprise the BMX Freestyle and Shooting Final with Julian Gutierrez. Heartbreak the Tennis.

3.Was your country's goal achieved? 

Yes.

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future?  Current / Upcoming sports

Probably none. Lets hope for no more budget cuts.

5. Who could be some the potential star for your country in LA?

Hope the Womens Hockey can win the gold medal (hard), the Sailing team.

7 maybe, 7.5

the number of medals were good, much better than my expectations plus 2 medals for women for the first time was great

but we lost 4-5 more gold medals wrestling because of some small/stupid mistakes. :(

also winning medals in only 2 sports is a very bad sign

2. What were the suprises and heartbreaks ?

Taekwondo 4 out of 4 with 100% medal success was a huge surprise. we knew they are all good enough but our taekwondo always underperformed massively in Olympics so the expectations were quite low this time.

losing 3 finals in freestyle wrestling was really sad. Amouzad lost to a good wrestler but other two gold medals were 99% guaranteed before the final

Yazdani's injury in the final was the most heartbreaking moment, not in this Olympics but all time. :cry: looks like the universe doesn't want him to win the 2nd gold medal. he tried to win the final with just 1 hand and almost managed to pull a miracle for 5 minutes. he dislocated his shoulder 4 times in the final :(

and again while we were recovering from that, we had another heartbreaking moment the next day with Zare losing to someone he could beat 10-0 any day.

They never set a goal, this way they can consider any result as success :d

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? Current / Upcoming sports

This is really sad that we are winning medals (even though lots of medals) in only 2 sports. right now I don't think there is any money to invest in something else. but personally I like to see more investment in Shooting, Archery, Athletics, Gymnastics, Canoeing and few more sports

while we have talents in Judo and Boxing, not sure if they worth wasting money on. 

I don't want to name any athlete, I know we have lots of talents in our main 3 sports. (actually 2, weightlifting is half dead) who knows what will happen in 4 years time. 2 of our gold medalists are 19 or 20. nobody knew them 2 years ago. 

even our top wrestlers may lose their spot to a youngster. 

Edited by MHSN

1. I'm going with 8-9, definitely more than excellent, but some disappointments in the bigger picture as well. Hard to say though, of course something like the judo failure isn't magically made up by the rowing success (and vice versa, the rowing success isn't lessened by the judo failure).

2. Biggest heartbreak without a doubt Puck Pieterse in the mountainbike, silver was basically hers, but then she got a flat tire for the first time in her MTB career and it happened like 10 seconds too late to go into the tech zone and get it fixed. Also Femke Bol losing the expected silver in the 400m hurdles and Lieke Klaver in the 400m flat not making the final, especially their devastated reactions. Biggest surprise in a positive sense no doubt the 3x3 basketball, but that's definitely helped by the fact it was a buzzer beater for gold.

3. I would assume so. No idea what the goal was, if there really was anything official, but I'd assume this would have achieved that.

4. No idea.

5. Harrie Lavreysen, again. Maybe some rowers, but they're not really stars since most people don't really know their names :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1. 8.5 - Paris Olympics were amazing for :BUL. We won 7 medals from which 3 gold, one silver and 3 bronze and took 26th place in overall ranking. Top sports are Wrestling, Weightlifting & Rhythmic Gymnastics. We managed to snatch good results in boxing, taekwondo from where we got bronze. Other good performances were women's single sculls, Women's vault as well in Badminton. We have a superb athlete in Karlos Nasar who made WR in weightlifting 89 category and is the star in the sport.

2. Surprise are the two golds in Wrestling which is traditional sport for the country, however in last Olympics we only managed to snatch bronze medals.  Heartbreak was the Rhythmic gymnastics performance of our team which was favorite for the gold, however it made a huge error and finished 4th. 

3. Yes, achieved. 

4. There is for sure what can be improved. A lot of promises are given every year, let's see what happens this time. We are a sport country and expectations here are high. Sports that can be invested are swimming, where we have some positive results, women's fencing where we grow each year, taekwondo is something new for us but with good leader in the sport federation, volleyball is so famous here, however in a downfall in recent years, but now with efforts to be resurrected. Wrestling, weightlifting and Rhythmic gymnastics will continue the tradition and investment here should be guaranteed. Boxing also has a good sports federation president and we have very young stars. Hopefully it will remain in program for LA 28. However we need investment in sport infrastructure as currently is not well handled. Hopefully we will begin to work more thoroughly in this regard in next years. I also so hope for development in some untraditional sports for us like Archery and sport climbing :) 

5. I so hope this will be women's fencing (sabre team). Weightlifting could also reach some new highs as our star Karlos Nasar might be inspiration for a lot of kids/teenagers. We also have good generation in Athletics, hopefully we could develop in there too as in the past we had so many good results, but now we had only 1 athlete in final.

22 hours ago, Vektor said:

I would give Hungary a 7. We did pretty well given the current level of our athletes.

Márton winning gold in taekwondo, the girls overperforming in the kayak events after a very lackluster 3 years, Muhari winning bronze in women's epee after an almost unprecedent qualification, Major winning bronze in shooting after many years of disappointment in the discipline. As you can tell, we had many good surprises.

As for the disappointments... the boys flopping in pentathlon despite the 1-2 at the Worlds, Muszukajev not even winning a medal in wrestling and obviously the fact that we didn't win a single gold medal in Canoe Sprint for the first time since 1976.

Personally I expeted 5 gold medals and 16 total medals. We got 6 gold medals and 19 total medals. I think we achieved what we came for. 

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? 

I think the level of investment won't change, maybe with the exception of taekwondo, we might see a surge there now that we got an Olympic champion. 

The Márton twins, one of them already won in Paris. Maybe Blanka Vas? She must win that medal eventually. Bettina Fábián is also very talented in open water swimming. 

I think Padar and Jackl could medal in 2028.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

:BRA

6,5 or 7

It was not terrible, but not good at all

Usually, we have some unexpected medals, which didn't happen this time. I could mention Women's Footbal as a surprise, once our performance in the last events was awful. I was expecting that these girls could fight for a bronze medal, but the silver was a real reward for them.

Heartbreaks, I'd say our Rhythmic Gymnastic Team. There was a lot of highligths over them, and one of our girls got injured between the first and second presentation on qualifiers.

Also, I was expecting a medal for Ana Sátila in Slalom Canoeing, she got very close in all three events. And our Boxing team, we were dreaming about 3 or 4 medals, with even a gold, and we finished with only one bronze medal.

No. In terms of gold medal, we were expecting less medals than the last Olympics, but it was even lesser. In the total of medals, it got close, but the goal was to overpass the record of 21 medals.

4. Which are the sports that will be invested more in future? 

Current / Upcoming sports

At this point is difficult to say. I think women's football will get more attention because of the medal and the WC that we are gonna host. Imo, I think Brazil should improve its strength in those sports where we already have some tradition, and try to accelerate the grow in those discipline where we just have few representants.

For instance, Judo, Surfing, Skateboarding, Gymnastics, Canoeing, Sailing, Volleyball and some others, we already have potential, but we should arrive at the Olympics even stronger. And in sports like Wrestling, Weightlifting, Cycling, Shooting, Rowing we should amplify our participation

I think Rebeca Andrade will keep being our superstar, once she got a better result than Rayssa Leal

1. 8.0. Not actually that bad considering that prior to the Games we were not even sure about which athletes could bring home gold medals. There's nothing really unexpected here, even though the number of gold medals was way below what some people wanted. 20 medals is still a decent total number. I don't understand why most Brazilians are fuming.

2. Taekwondo was the only good surprise here. Boxing was the biggest disappointment. Our rhythmic gymnasts had an outside shot at a medal, but being denied the chance after a gymnast sustained an injury mid-routine will always be my biggest Olympic heartbreak.

3. No. Not even close when it comes to the total number of gold medals. 20 medals was not really a disaster, but I guess 22 medals was the goal all along. An unrealistic goal, but a goal, nevertheless.

4. Canoeing and table tennis. We came so close...

5. Rebeca Andrade. She will fight for 2 or 3 medals, but she is going to crush the competition.

For :CHN:

9/10.Most gold medals since 1952 except 2008 Beijing,and same gold medals as :USA have.

Suprises: Tennis Zheng "Queen Wen",BMX freestyle Deng Yawen,the field hockey team,artistic swimming team and rhythmic gymnastic team.

Heartbreak: fencing team,rowing team,and artistic gymnastic team especially SU WEIDE!!!!!

Of course yes.40 golds and over 90 medals is OK.

Shooting and archery.These two sports are very exciting for me.And wrestling is my new focus for its powerful.

Four potencial stars in athletics:He Jinxian in men's 100m,Chen Yujie in women's 100m,Yan Ziyi in women's javelin and Ailixier Wumaier in men's 400m.

Edited by erquanmen