website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Am I correct in saying that if a swimmer is selected under Universality rule but has an OCT in another event he can swim both competitions? Even if this means a swimmer with the OCT and a higher ranking loses out? John Shortt IRL.gif is ranked 9 in 200m Backstroke but received no invite as this went to Morales of Puerto Rico even though he is ranked 12 but was selected for the 100m under universality. That seems very unfair. 

18 minutes ago, dullard said:

He'll have the same problem as Condorelli. Is he willing to not be on any national teams for three years to switch back to USA?

Is that a general rule or only if your old federation refuses to „allow“ the change of representation?

I think in other sports the transition period is much shorter.

The U.S. is super competitive, especially in the 100 free/fly, but obviously there is much more money in swimming for the U.S. (especially at home Olympics). He could probably go to college and therefore wouldn’t really need any financial support from the German federation. Maybe he won’t swim for Germany the next 3 years and then only compete for Germany in 2028 (assuming that he will be fast enough) if he again won’t make the American team.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

9 minutes ago, dullard said:

They're contenders for gold in the men's and mixed medleys.

I don’t see them as gold medal contenders in the men’s medley relay given their weakness in the 100 fly. They are favorites for silver for me. Gold isn’t impossible, but rather unlikely in my opinion. Qin is the big question mark, he needs to be in top shape for them to challenge for gold.

You might be right concerning their chance for gold in the mixed medley relay. Their lineup will probably be Xin-Tang-Zhang-Pan. On paper they are at least even with the U.S., although it is impossible to predict what Zhang will produce in Paris.

I still would give the edge to the U.S., mainly because I think that King will be closer to Tang than expected.

Overall I still think that Dressel will win more golds than Pan/Qin.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Is that a general rule or only if your old federation refuses to „allow“ the change of representation?

I think in other sports the transition period is much shorter.

The U.S. is super competitive, especially in the 100 free/fly, but obviously there is much more money in swimming for the U.S. (especially at home Olympics). He could probably go to college and therefore wouldn’t really need any financial support from the German federation. Maybe he won’t swim for Germany the next 3 years and then only compete for Germany in 2028 (assuming that he will be fast enough) if he again won’t make the American team.

It's a fairly recent rule and I don't think there's any way around it. Imagine if he skipped three years of national teams only to miss the US team or only make it as a prelim swimmer. Not much money in being a prelim swimmer. Probably makes more sense to just stick with Germany.

Just now, dullard said:

It's a fairly recent rule and I don't think there's any way around it. Imagine if he skipped three years of national teams only to miss the US team or only make it as a prelim swimmer. Not much money in being a prelim swimmer. Probably makes more sense to just stick with Germany.

I think swimming in college for the next 3 years will give him enough „excitement“. 
The level in the U.S. is crazy high and most of the top guys are still very young. It will be difficult for him to get around Alexy/Guilano in the 100 free and Heilman/Dressel in the 100 fly. His best shot for an individual spot might be to hope that Dressel dramatically declines (in the 100 fly) within the next 4 years. I think many people would rather win 1-3 relay golds/medals as a prelims swimmer in front of a „home crowd“ than not winning any medals while being allowed to swim individually (for Germany).

I am a bit disappointed that Märtens won’t swim the 800 free. I think his chances there would have been better than in the 200 back. The 800 free heats are on the same day as the 200 free final, so maybe that was the reason. In the 800 free 7:38 or 7:39 might be enough for a medal (especially if Short isn’t in top shape). In the 200 back it will probably take at least 1:54:50 to medal, which is out of reach for Märtens. At least this way he can fully focus on the 200/400 free double. I also don’t quite get the reasoning why those swimmers who are already there (for relays) and are fast enough to make it out of heats aren’t allowed to swim individually. 

Edited by OlympicsFan

24 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am a bit disappointed that Märtens won’t swim the 800 free. I think his chances there would have been better than in the 200 back. The 800 free heats are on the same day as the 200 free final, so maybe that was the reason. In the 800 free 7:38 or 7:39 might be enough for a medal (especially if Short isn’t in top shape). In the 200 back it will probably take at least 1:54:50 to medal, which is out of reach for Märtens. At least this way he can fully focus on the 200/400 free double. I also don’t quite get the reasoning why those swimmers who are already there (for relays) and are fast enough to make it out of heats aren’t allowed to swim individually. 

Not only does it clash with the 200 free final but the 800 free final is less than an hour before the 4x200 final. It doesn't hurt to add the 200 back because it comes after all his other events. As Chalmers said in a podcast recently, "every swim at the Olympics is a special", so maybe he just wants to make the most of the occasion.

At first I was surprised to see 304 athletes listed as universality, but looking through the list I noticed some are not (or at the very least shouldn't have been invited as a universality because their nation had other OQT/OCT athletes).

3 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Thank you very much:champion:

Now time to fix the wiki

Sarah Sjöström :SWE had earlier Said she would only race 50 free (and relays). Now she changed her mind and is registered also for 100 free (where she also hold the world record), but she Will not make the final decision until olympics had started

in a Q&a today on her Instagram  she also Said she Will race in LA 2028. That would be her 6th olympics

Edited by Swewi